• 4 Post By Shinola
  • 1 Post By Shinola
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 9 Post By rollo
  • 3 Post By Brookie
  • 2 Post By Seth82
  • 5 Post By pwry

Thread: Kirsten Dunst: ‘What people expect of an actor is totally ridiculous’

Default Kirsten Dunst: ‘What people expect of an actor is totally ridiculous’

Kirsten Dunst on the expectations of actors: “What people expect of an actor is totally ridiculous. It’s unfair that an artist is expected to speak really well in public and have skin tough enough to withstand sometimes really hurtful criticism, but also, in order to do the job, be really sensitive and in touch with their feelings. So all you can do is be yourself – just be who the hell you are.”

On how she used to be discouraged by the boys club mentality in Hollywood:
    “You know what? I felt that way when I was younger, particularly being on the Spider-Man sets, which was pretty much all guys. But the older I get, the less I feel that way. What I’ve found is that the cool guys now want to hang out with the cool girls.”

On her boyfriend, actor Garrett Hedlund:
    “We’ve been together for three and a half years, so, yes, it’s going really well. We’re the same age. We have similar backgrounds. He feels like family to me.”

On her character in FX’s Fargo, Peggy Blomquist, the mile-a-minute talking beautician, and the women in her family:
    “She is very much like me at my craziest, my mother at her craziest, my grandma at her craziest. I could really combine the nutsiest parts of the women in my family. Some of the things [my grandma] would say, how she said them—I had a lot of that inside me already.”

Moving to TV:
    “TV is a lot harder than film. A lot harder. When I got the part, my friend Lizzy Caplan, who is on Masters of Sex, said, ‘Be sure to get B12 shots to get you through the week.’ I was like, ‘Really? That sounds very dramatic, Lizzy.’ By the third week I was all over the B12. It was one of the best roles I’ve ever played—the writing is spectacular—but by the end I was tapped out.”

Child stardom:
    “I know some young actresses who are better at it. Dakota Fanning reminds me a lot of myself, but she’s wiser than I was at her age.”

[From Town & Country]

Cele|bitchy | Kirsten Dunst: ‘What people expect of an actor is totally ridiculous’

Reality Flash: In many, if not most jobs we are expected to be skin tough to withstand critism AND doing our job. The only difference is the paycheck you get by the end of month. So cry me a fucking river.
    Janus, deenz, Mivvi21 and 12 others like this.
    -

exactly, and Hollywood isnt the only industry that is male dominated. For eg, look at the Engineering field, or even the corporate world - 90% males.
    Briar Rose, Janus and Clubber Lang like this.

I dunno, for the most part I can do my job without thousands of people on the internetz mocking my teeth, for example. And I work for a boys' club company at the moment and have in the past, and it's really hard ... She didn't say Hollywood was the only place where business is often male-dominated. Why can't she answer a question about that?
    Brah, yanna, Heidi Ho and 1 others like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    She didn't say Hollywood was the only place where business is often male-dominated. Why can't she answer a question about that?
    Didn't Katherine Heigl complain about that and her career went down the toilet?

Does moving from films to TV mean a step-down career-wise?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Didn't Katherine Heigl complain about that and her career went down the toilet?

Does moving from films to TV mean a step-down career-wise?
    I'm guessing Heigl has more problems than just acknowledging that the boys' club still exists. :/ but ofc you're not supposed to mention it.

(Re. TV, it used to mean a step down, but now -- if I understand the industry correctly -- it doesn't have to mean that.)
    BITTER likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Bitter-I think it used to mean that but not anymore.

We are all allowed to complain about our jobs. I'm sure I still would even if I were making her kind of money.
    BITTER likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I don't know. She says the demands are ridiculous. How about the perks are ridiculous?
    weathered1, idunno, deenz and 6 others like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Trying to squeeze out a tear over here. Nope............ can't.
    arie_skop, Briar Rose and holly like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Brookie and Beeyotch like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Please let this woman really think it over before ever bearing children.

Silver Member

It's funny but I am a college teacher and there is an internet site called Rate My Teacher.com. If you are a teacher too, NEVER EVER go and check your ratings. Talk about mean comments. I get what she is saying but i don't get her pay checks. lol I wish I did. They would help me get through the pain.
    yanna, Brookie, Ravenna and 2 others like this.

What she said doesn't offend me at all. She's only talking about her own job-- I don't see where she says it's tougher than anyone else's. And to be fair, she was pushed into the business at a very young age by her parents and it can be tough on a child. If she had been an adult who made the choice by herself to go into acting, she may have a different perspective on things.

Thread Information