Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: David Beckham Responds to Critics Who Thinks His Daughter, 4, Shouldn't Use Pacifier

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default David Beckham Responds to Critics Who Thinks His Daughter, 4, Shouldn't Use Pacifier

David Beckham and Victoria Beckham's daughter may get 'speech or dental issues' | Daily Mail Online

Why does Harper, four, still use a dummy? Experts warn David and Victoria Beckham's little girl may end up with 'speech or dental issues' if she continues to use one
    By Jemma Buckley, Showbusiness Reporter For The Daily Mail
    Published: 18:50 EST, 9 August 2015 | Updated: 18:54 EST, 9 August 2015
    1.3k View comments

Merilly trotting along next to her father in a pink sundress, Harper Beckham looks like a confident and content little girl.

But along with her pink flip-flops, the youngster also sported a rather more controversial matching accessory – a pink dummy.

At four years old, Harper Beckham is well beyond the age that most health experts would advise giving a child a dummy.

Isn't she a bit old? David and Victoria Beckham's four-year-old daughter Harper was seen walking with her father in West Hollywood on Friday, while holding a dummy in her mouth

Last night parenting experts said that David, 40, and Victoria Beckham, 41, risked stunting their daughter's speech and were putting her teeth at risk of damage by letting her continue to use one.

Dummies are usually used to soothe and settle restless children and are only recommended for small babies.

Some parents use them to stop a child from crying or simply because the habit has become too hard to break.

Concern: Experts have warned there may be issues with Harper still using a dummy, including with her speech and her teeth

The NHS Choices website recommends parents 'should avoid using dummies after 12 months of age' to prevent speech development problems.

Harper was pictured walking with her father and oldest brother Brooklyn, 16, after the trio enjoyed lunch in West Hollywood, California.

She was still sucking on her pink dummy as they larked around on the way to their car, with David playfully running after his two children.

Last night parenting expert Clare Byam-Cook, a former midwife, said that the Beckhams were putting Harper's wellbeing at risk.

She said: 'I can't believe she is still using a dummy. If she has a dummy in their mouth at this age, at four, it really can damage her teeth and it is very likely to hinder speech development.

'You are far less likely to speak if you have a dummy in your mouth than if your mouth is free. Many dentists will agree that dummy use at this age really is not good.

'After about three months, most babies should not need a comforter. Children at the age of four really don't need a dummy.

'David and Victoria seem wonderful parents and I'm sure they give Harper lots of attention but, like it or not, they are role models and lots of people will see this and think that having a dummy at this age is normal when it is not.

'It could be last child syndrome – because she is the youngest David and Victoria could be clinging on to her being a baby.'

Previously: Last year, Harper was seen at the age of three, still using a pacifier while out with her mother Victoria

Read more: David Beckham and Victoria Beckham's daughter may get 'speech or dental issues' | Daily Mail Online

Harper Beckham had a dummy because she was ill says David | Daily Mail Online

Harper had a dummy because she was ill and it was a comfort to her, says Beckham

• Former England footballer was pictured with girl in West Hollywood
    • Says critics should 'think twice' about what they say about children
    • Those who judged him for handing her pacifier had 'no right' to do so
    • NHS recommends parents 'avoid using dummies' after child turns one

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Published: 19:07 EST, 10 August 2015 | Updated: 21:23 EST, 10 August 2015

Daughter: Harper Beckham's use of a dummy led to some concern after she was pictured in Hollywood

David Beckham said yesterday that he had given his four-year-old daughter Harper a dummy because she had a fever and it was a comfort to her.

The former England footballer said those who judged him for handing a pacifier to his youngest child had ‘no right’ to do so.

Taking to his Instagram page, Beckham, 40, told his 10.1million followers: ‘Why do people feel they have the right to criticise a parent about their own children without having any facts?

'Everybody who has children knows that when they aren’t feeling well or have a fever, you do what comforts them best and most of the time it’s a pacifier.

‘So those who criticise, think twice about what you say about other people’s children because you have no right to criticise me as a parent.’

Beckham, who has three other children with his fashion designer wife Victoria – Brooklyn, 16, Romeo, 12, and Cruz, ten – was pictured larking around with his daughter and eldest son in West Hollywood, California.

The images displayed a happy family outing but it was Harper’s use of a dummy that led to some concern.

The NHS recommends that parents ‘avoid using dummies’ after their child turns one and some experts said that Beckham and former Spice Girl Victoria, 41, may have risked stunting their daughter’s speech and damaging her teeth.

Daily Mail concern trolling as per usual

If her teeth end up crooked the Beckham's can afford orthodontia.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

czb

^^^ exactly.

and lots of babies over 3 months use a pacifier. a kid of 4 is a bit old, but is it dangerous?

slow news day ....
    Angeli likes this.

I like the "mind other folks business people!!" She is adorable!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

She's their baby. Sometimes people let them hold onto things longer.
    witchcurlgirl and *DIVA! like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Silver Member

4 is a bit old for a pacifier, but my younger granddaughter latched onto her thumb instead. Both can lead to orthodontia issues. As said they can well afford to give her perfect teeth.

Elite Member

And pay for speech therapy, if needed.

If you saw a kid, also 4, sucking their thumb no one would say anything. It's a double standard. I believe 4 is a bit old, but maybe it's saved for only when they really really need it. They have 3 other kids and seem like good parents, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Sometimes I wish I could put the paci back in my own 4 yr olds mouth - but that's because she talks ALL THE TIME, I'd welcome the silence

my opinion is that 4 is too old for a binky. but, she's the Beckhams kid not mine. And shame on Daily Mail for making this a story
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^^Agree that 4 is too old for a pacifier. No different to me than seeing 5 year olds in a stroller. But their kid, their business.
    redcat likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Yeah, personally, I think 4 is old for a binky, but it's none of my business. Not my kid.

Really, though, must be a slow news days.

A*O

My daughter discovered her thumb at a very early age and carried on sucking it until she was about 8(?). We are still paying for the braces. Son preferred his bung and it was a sanity saver for us all even though I'd always been a bit sniffy about them before we experienced the benefits. I can't remember exactly when he gave it up but probably around 3(?). He just grew out of it really. I'm sure Harper will do the same, hopefully before she starts high school. The Beckhams may be ridiculous fame whores sometimes but they seem to be devoted parents which is more than you can say for most of their contemporaries.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Meh, they get such positive press that I think this is one thing they can be called out for. Take it away!
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    Meh, they get such positive press that I think this is one thing they can be called out for. Take it away!
    This.

I'm sorry but the kid looks ridiculous.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

It's probably because all my parenting skills are geared to four legged fur balls but I've never understood why people give a child a dummy (pacifier). Aren't you giving them a bad habit that you then have to break later? I only ever sucked my thumb for a week at most and then Ma Kitty put Stop N Grow on all my nails and I quit it pretty quickly.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information