Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Frank Gifford, Sportscaster and NFL Hall of Famer, Dies at 84

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Frank Gifford, Sportscaster and NFL Hall of Famer, Dies at 84

Frank Gifford Dead: NFL Legend, ‘Monday Night Football’ Host Dies | Variety

Frank Gifford, Sportscaster and NFL Hall of Famer, Dies at 84

Michael Stewart/WireImage
    August 9, 2015 | 11:45AM PT Richard Natale

Frank Gifford, the former New York Giants star who successfully transitioned to a long career as a sportscaster on TV and radio, died Sunday of natural causes at his home in Connecticut. He was 84.
    NBC News confirmed Giffords death in a statement. Gifford was the husband of Today anchor Kathie Lee Gifford.
    It is with the deepest sadness that we announce the sudden passing of our beloved husband, father and friend, Frank Gifford. Frank died suddenly this beautiful Sunday morning of natural causes at his Connecticut home. We rejoice in the extraordinary life he was privileged to live, and we feel grateful and blessed to have been loved by such an amazing human being. We ask that our privacy be respected at this difficult time and we thank you for your prayers.
    Giffords name was practically synonymous with ESPNs popular Monday Night Football telecast, for which he served up commentary from the early 70s on. His first-hand experience on the field as a halfback and his measured, congenial analyses, made him a popular figure on the long-running, high-rated program. In later years Gifford became a constant source of latenight talkshow host ribbing as the result of a tabloid-friendly report of an extramarital dalliance.
    Gifford was the husband of former morning talkshow personality Kathie Lee Gifford.
    Gifford joined Howard Cossell and Don Meredith on Monday Night Football in 1971 and remained with the show through several transitions, winning an Emmy for his commentaries. He was enormously popular with audiences for his easy-going analyses and obvious love of the game.
    The network also utilized him on Wide World of Sports, where he became closely associated with the Special Olympics. He became a champion of the games as well as of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
    While playing in the NFL, Gifford spent the offseason during the 1950s appearing in small roles in feature films such as Thats My Boy, The All American (1953), Darbys Rangers and Up Periscope (1959), taking acting classes along the way with, among others, Jeff Corey. He also worked as a commercial model and product endorser on television, in addition to writing a sports column and hosting a sports show on a local Bakersfield, Calif., station and for CBS Radio. In 1961, he became a sports reporter for WCBS in New York.
    He maintained his sports reporting position at WCBS during an NFL comeback and later worked a color commentator for CBS Sports, doing NFL games as well as golf and college basketball. In 1971, Gifford moved to ABC and began his run on Monday Night Football that lasted until 1997.
    Gifford appeared as himself in the film Jerry Maguire and on the ABC sitcoms Coach and Spin City.
    Francis Newton Gifford was born in Santa Monica, Calif., and his family moved around a great deal during the Great Depression until they finally settled in Bakersfield. It was at Bakersfield High School that Gifford first began to develop his abilities as a football player, which led to a sports scholarship to USC. Coach Jess Hill helped bring out Giffords offensive and defensive skills, and he was named by Colliers magazine running back of its All-America team in his senior year. Gifford departed USC 12 units shy of a degree when the New York Giants picked him as their No. 1 draft choice in 1952. He later made up the credits in night school, receiving his degree in 1956.
    His first two seasons with the Giants were arduous, and the pay was terrible, Gifford recalled. He was almost ready to pack it in when, in 1954, the Giants new head coach, Jim Lee Howell, and offensive coordinator Vince Lombardi came aboard. It was Lombardi who installed him as a permanent left halfback. In 1955 the Giants took the NFL championship, and Gifford was voted the leagues MVP. The Giants won several championships through the end of the decade, when Gifford suffered a serious concussion and announced his retirement.
    In 1962, he returned to the field as a flanker and made a celebrated comeback. By the time he permanently retired in 1964, Gifford had amassed several Giants records, including touchdowns scored, points and yards gained receiving. He made All-Pro a total of eight times.
    Giffords autobiography, The Whole Ten Yards, was published in 1993, and he wrote several other sports-related books, including Gifford on Courage in 1976 and The Glory Game: How the 1958 NFL Championship Changed Football Forever in 2008.
    He was inducted into the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 1975 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977.
    In the 2000s he guested a few times on Jimmy Kimmel and Today, showed up on Regis and Kelly in 2009, appeared in documentaries including Beatles Stories and Lombardi and recurred as an interviewee on ESPN SportsCentury.
    Gifford was married three times. In 1982, he met Kathie Lee Johnson during a brief fill-in stint on Good Morning America. They were married in 1986. When Kathie Lee Gifford became a household name via the Regis and Kathie Lee show, she frequently discussed her family life on television. In the mid-90s, when a tabloid report of an extramarital dalliance was revealed, the couple became a frequent butt of jokes, though they remained together through it all.
    In addition to third wife Kathie Lee, survivors include their son and daughter and two sons and a daughter from Giffords first marriage.

Frank Gifford Dead: NFL Legend, ‘Monday Night Football’ Host Dies | Variety

Rip. At least he's now free of Kathy Lee.
    HWBL, Gossiplover, BITTER and 7 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

RIP. Not a fan but I feel sorry for Kathy Lee and his children. This has to be brutal for her.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Rip. At least he's now free of Kathy Lee.
    My thought exactly.
    BITTER likes this.
    Piss off!

No disrespect intended, but if you marry someone 20+ years your senior, this is the most likely scenario.

Gotta wonder if this bothered her, since she still is a morning talk show personality, well, of sorts.

Gifford was the husband of former morning talkshow personality Kathie Lee Gifford.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Poor Frank.
    She'll milk this for all it's worth.
    Gossiplover and Wilson like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by ADel View Post
    RIP. Not a fan but I feel sorry for Kathy Lee and his children. This has to be brutal for her.
    i feel sorry for them to a point. Well, they lost a husband/father. but,KLG knew Frank was old as fuck when she married him. It had to be expected.(Not that it makes it easier)

I always liked Frank. MNF hasn't been the same without him, and Don, and of course Howard
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

The Widow Gifford.

But Frank was a well liked man in the broadcasting/sports world.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Aw, I feel bad for Kathie Lee. Sucks losing a loved one, especially your spouse. Even if you go into it thinking that your husband, who is 20 years your senior, is going to die before you die, it can't make it easy.

Frank may be gone, but we'll always have "Shall we not?"

I'm no fan of KLG but he seemed to be her whole world. I feel bad for her and their kids.

How does knowing someone will probably die before you make it any less sad when it happens? That's ridiculous. Does knowing your parents will in all likelihood die before you make you love them any less?

Can't stand her but this sucks for her and their kids and I guess I just don't get why people get so hung up about age differences in relationships.

my dad was younger than my mom and dropped dead at 51 and they were together as long as these guys so really you never know.

SOunds like a heart attack--rest in peace Frank. Your voice is pretty much the only voice that's familiar to me in American sports broadcasting.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Go Habs Go!!

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like her and Hoda on the Today show, I think she's funny; I also feel bad for her loss, RIP.

Those poor kids....
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information