• 1 Post By Shinola

Thread: Adam Lambert slams radio host for gay jibe

Elite Member

Default Adam Lambert slams radio host for gay jibe

Adam Lambert slams radio host Jackie O for gay jibe

Adam Lambert slams radio host Jackie O for gay jibe

AAP
    1 hour ago

(© Gaye Gerard/Getty Images) Radio host Jackie O. (© Arthur Mola/Invision/AP) US singer Adam Lambert.

Adam Lambert has hit out at Kiss FM's radio host Jackie O for perpetuating gay stereotypes.

The breakfast radio co-host implied that Lambert could pursue a relationship with singer Ricky Martin since the two are single and gay.

But Lambert wasn't amused.

"Don't do that, you're not allowed to do that," he told the Kyle and Jackie O show.

"That's so silly... 'Oh a gay guy and another gay guy, oh you must date', come on."

Jackie O tried to defend herself saying, "no there's more to it than that".

"Is there?" questioned Lambert.

Feeling like she needed to explain herself better, Jackie O tried to justify the comments by saying "you're both in the industry, you both understand each other's schedule, you're both hot... it would work".

"Well that's very sweet," Lambert replied insincerely.

Guest host Chrissie Swan knew exactly how Lambert felt, comparing the remark to when people say she should date older, fatter men because the two are "similar".

Chrissie Swan (photo by Pip Lincolne)

Being a good sport, Lambert stuck around on the radio show to field some questions from listeners, and to lambaste Prime Minster Tony Abbott for not accepting gay marriage.

"Come on dude, get with the picture," he said.

"I'm sure it will happen. I've always thought of Australia as such a progressive place, so liberal. The attitudes here from what I have experienced towards anybody who's alternative with their sexuality or lifestyle seems pretty open. So I'm sure it will come around soon."

Lambert, who rose to fame on American Idol in 2009, admits he's not a big fan of reality TV and says he prefers "scripted shows".

He is currently in Australia to promote his new album The Original High and upcoming tour of the same name, which will kick off in January.

He will perform his new single Ghost Town on the Nine Network's The Voice on Sunday - but without his signature smokey-eye look.

"The smokey eye is dead for me now," Lambert said defiantly.

* Tickets for Lambert's upcoming The Original High tour go on sale on August 7.

Because straight people never get people suggesting who they should hook up with. I get it! It's irritating but sheesh calm down.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

oh brother Adam, really?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    Because straight people never get people suggesting who they should hook up with. I get it! It's irritating but sheesh calm down.
    exactly, what's the difference.

Elite Member

He sounds like a sensitive little bitch. Telling her....You're not allowed to do that. Sounds like she is.
    arie_skop likes this.

Who pissed on his cornflakes?!
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

In print what Adam said doesn't sound too jerky to me. I imagine he's reacting this way because of how many people think gay men will go for almost any other gay man, as though they are indiscriminate or don't have a type just like straight people. I remember a guy I know getting very annoyed when someone asked whether his gay friend had ever hit on him. Of course that was much more offensive because it implies gay men have absolutely no boundaries either, but yeah, lots of ignorance out there and it must get very tiresome.
    Shinola, mopar, Tati and 2 others like this.

^Well, but isn't it the same for straight singles as well? "Oh, you are single? My best friend is single as well - you should meet!"
    arie_skop likes this.

If people are getting suggestions based solely on their common single status, then that is really obnoxious too. It implies they must be desperate. I wouldn't blame them if they got a bit cranky about it at times either.

It doesn't sound like Adam got angry, just irritated. He told her not to do that, it's silly, and then moved on. I don't see the big deal.
    mopar likes this.

Elite Member

I'm sick of this PC bullshit. People expecting others to walk on eggshells, in fear of the idea that they might offend someone. What she said wasn't anything that hasn't been asked a million fucking times to a million famous people. But this is the one jackass who had to be offended by it.

My issue is with him saying "you're not allowed to do that". Who does he think he is? Does he think that asking a question like that is a hate crime or something? Or does he think only gays should be able to ask that question?

Just because you're gay doesn't mean you're the only person that can ask a question about someone gay that is dating. If he's going to be that easily offended, then he should pick a new job then. I wouldn't miss him.
    arie_skop likes this.

Well, you made me waste ten minutes of my life digging up the interview on YouTube and listening, so thanks a lot, lol.

It was not all so serious as the article makes it seem. It sounds pretty lighthearted to me; he just kind of groaned about it like you do you when you've heard something too many times before, and then they went on laughing and joking about it. Adam didn't actually sound offended and the host didn't seem upset or embarrassed. It's just some stupid article/headline writers trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

It starts at around 5:30, if anyone else is curious. I barely even know who this Lambert guy is, lol.

Last edited by Ravenna; August 1st, 2015 at 05:41 PM.

Shit, I'd be hoping that Ricky Martin thinks it's a good idea. Lambert could do a lot worse.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    I'm sick of this PC bullshit. People expecting others to walk on eggshells, in fear of the idea that they might offend someone. What she said wasn't anything that hasn't been asked a million fucking times to a million famous people. But this is the one jackass who had to be offended by it.

My issue is with him saying "you're not allowed to do that". Who does he think he is? Does he think that asking a question like that is a hate crime or something? Or does he think only gays should be able to ask that question?

Just because you're gay doesn't mean you're the only person that can ask a question about someone gay that is dating. If he's going to be that easily offended, then he should pick a new job then. I wouldn't miss him.
    I have thought recently about how it can feel if someone is favored by hegemonic structures, and encounters these PC push backs and corrections, there can arise an exasperation, a sort of "this is something I can never hope to get right, no matter what I do there will be complaints" feeling. But i think we all just need to learn to be uncomfortable and not expect that other people should shut up so that we get to feel comfortable. I sincerely hope to get called out on my ignorance. And I think the best thing I can do is just listen and accept the information. Does it really hurt that much to get a wrist slap from a member of a disempowered group?
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Thread Information