Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn's Relationship: He's Paternal and She Defers to Him

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn's Relationship: He's Paternal and She Defers to Him

Woody Allen on relationship with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter Soon-Yi | Daily Mail Online

'She responded to someone paternal': Woody Allen reveals secret to his 23-year relationship with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter... which at first he thought was 'just a fling'

• Woody Allen went into rare details about his relationship with Soon-Yi
    • They got together while he was dating her adopted mother Mia Farrow
    • Now married, Soon-Yi, 44, and Allen, 79, have been together for 23 years
    • Allen says it works because he is 'paternal' which helped her 'flourish'
    • He also reveals he thought it would just be a 'fling' when it started

By Mia De Graaf For Dailymail.com
    Published: 00:52 EST, 30 July 2015 | Updated: 04:13 EST, 30 July 2015

Woody Allen has revealed he thought his controversial relationship with wife Soon-Yi Previn was 'just a fling' when it started in 1992.

The prolific director, now 79, has been in a relationship with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter, 44, for 23 years.

Breaking his intense privacy in a rare interview with NPR's film critic Sam Fragoso, Allen describes in detail why 'the dynamic worked' between them, insisting the age difference 'didn't seem to matter' - 'It seemed to work in our favor actually.'

'She responded to someone paternal': Woody Allen analyses his marriage to Soon-Yi (pictured in July 2015)

Controversial: They are pictured here in 1997, five years after he left Soon-Yi's mother Mia Farrow for her

He said: 'I started the relationship with her and I thought it would just be a fling. It wouldn't be serious, but it had a life of its own. And I never thought it would be anything more. Then we started going together, then we started living together, and we were enjoying it.'

'She enjoyed being introduced to many, many things that I knew from experience, and I enjoyed showing her those things,' he continued.

Reflecting on why they have stayed together so long, Allen said: 'I'm 35 years older, and somehow, through no fault of mine or hers, the dynamic worked.

'I was paternal. She responded to someone paternal.

'I liked her youth and energy. She deferred to me, and I was happy to give her an enormous amount of decision making just as a gift and let her take charge of so many things. She flourished.

'It was just a good luck thing.'

His words appear to contradict Previn's analysis of their relationship in an interview with Time, when she appeared to imply she had always seen Allen in a romantic way.

'To think that Woody was in any way a father or stepfather to me is laughable,' she said.

Allen was stepfather to Farrow's children (here in 1986) until 1992, when he and Soon-Yi (right) got together

Their relationship - which started while he was dating Farrow - has remained a constant fascination in the media since it became public in 1992.

It came just over a decade after Allen made the movie Manhattan, in which his character dates a college-age girl and puts it off as a fling until he realizes he loves her.

Friends of the family told Vanity Fair's Maureen Orth at the time they 'sensed that Soon-Yi had a crush on Woody' in 1991 'which he seemed to delight in'.

'They thought nothing of it, since Soon-Yi had yet to receive her first phone call from a boy,' Orth wrote. 'Woody started taking her to basketball games, and Mia would reportedly tell her to stop dressing up for them as if she were going to a disco.'

It unraveled when Farrow found naked pictures of Soon-Yi in Allen's apartment.

Since, the makeshift family has been engaged in a dramatic ping pong game of allegations.

'Not related': Allen insists his private controversies bear no relation to his art. In the movie Manhattan (1979), his character dates a college-age girl, putting it off as a fling until he realizes he loves her (pictured)

Dylan Farrow, who was adopted by both Farrow and Allen although they never married, maintains Allen sexually abused her as a child.

Allen wrote an op-ed in the New York Times last year defending himself, claiming Mia Farrow brainwashed Dylan into believing she was molested.

'Not that I doubt Dylan hasn't come to believe she's been molested, but if from the age of seven a vulnerable child is taught by a strong mother to hate her father because he is a monster who abused her, is it so inconceivable that after many years of this indoctrination the image of me Mia wanted to establish had taken root?' he wrote.

Speaking to NPR's Fragoso this week, he addressed the persistent allegations, saying he refuses to believe they affect his reputation.

'It has no meaning in the way I make movies,' he insists.

Read more:

Woody Allen on relationship with Mia Farrow's adopted daughter Soon-Yi | Daily Mail Online

I don't know what to make of the man on whether he is guilty of molesting his daughter but his relationship with Soon-Yi has lasted loads longer than most in Hollywood so that part is working for them anyway.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

He's a sicko.

The whole group disgusts me.
    Brookie and Kathie_Moffett like this.

'She enjoyed being introduced to many, many things that I knew from experience, and I enjoyed showing her those things,' he continued.
    That just reads wrong and creepy.
    He definitely has problems, but I love many of his movies.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

23 years??? Boggles my mind.

He gives me the major icks.
    Brookie and Angeli like this.

There has already been a big correction to the original article. Please substitute "Infernal" wherever you see "Paternal".
    Kittylady and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Actually there is a 35 years age gap..i can see them lasting though.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I just can't get that photo out of my head of him hugging his adopted daughters with Soon-Yi. Those girls looked like they wanted to crawl out of their own skin.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

whatever. no point in rehashing a conversation we've had eleventy thousand times at this point so short version: she wanted someone older and she deferred to him until he let her not defer and if 'wild man blues' is any indication, it's because he secretly likes being bossed around because that's what she does in that and their dynamics in that didn't seem creepy at all either. i think it sucks that the relationship started in the circumstances that it did but it works for them and it's been over 20 years so who are we to judge the relationship of two consenting adults?
    A*O, effie2, ADel and 3 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    He definitely has problems, but I love many of his movies.
    Yeah, I was a big time fan of his movies back in the day, and while I don't seek out his stuff anymore, any Woody Allen movie on cable is worth a watch from me.
    BITTER likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

A*O

He isn't and never was her "father" although people love to talk up the "incest" angle. It was a bit rude of him to run off with his weird live-out girlfriend's adopted daughter and the age difference might make some people wince (not unusual by Hollywood standards though) but they are still together and seem happy enough. Lord knows he's had to endure years of prudish disapproval and the continued ire of his mad ex who really shouldn't throw stones in glasshouses when it comes to fucked up parent/child relationships.
    effie2, sputnik and LaFolie like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

^ Yes, but his relationship with Soon-Yi really isn't the worst of it, he was also accused of pedophilia with the very young adopted daughter. Not that I'm encouraging a rehash of that.
    Brando likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    ^ Yes, but his relationship with Soon-Yi really isn't the worst of it, he was also accused of pedophilia with the very young adopted daughter. Not that I'm encouraging a rehash of that.
    Mia really is the poison pill. I used to feel sympathy for her but she continually fans this anger and outrage. No doubt she poisoned her kids' minds against Woody.

He's been with Soon-Yi for a long time. She isn't a young girl anymore. As far as him showing her things, a lot of old men feel that way about young women.

On a shallow note, they are both ooglay!
    NickiDrea, msdeb, czb and 13 others like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information