Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 6 Post By NickiDrea
  • 6 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 5 Post By NickiDrea

Thread: Cindy Crawford opens up about the death of her three-year-old brother

Elite Member

Default Cindy Crawford opens up about the death of her three-year-old brother

Cindy Crawford opens up about the death of her three-year-old brother

Cindy Crawford opens up about the death of her three-year-old brother

July 9 2015

Livia Gamble Reporter

Supermodel Cindy Crawford poses with her daughter Kaia Gerber, and son Presley Gerber as they attend 'The Hospital In The Sky' Asian premiere. Photo: Anthony Kwan/Getty

As a mother, American model Cindy Crawford says she can't imagine how her own mother felt hearing her three-year-old son say he's going to die.

In an episode of Oprah's Master Class, Crawford, 49, opened up about the loss of her brother Jeff to cancer when she ten.

"My mother said she found him [Jeff] sitting in his room. He was sitting at his little table, and she said, 'What are you doing?' And he said, 'I'm praying.' And she said, 'What are you praying about?'

He said, 'So that when I die, you'll be OK,'" says Crawford in the video.

"As a mum I can't imagine hearing your child say that."

When Crawford was eight, her little brother was diagnosed with Leukemia; he was two.

"I think when my parents first told us that my brother was sick, we didn't really understand what it meant ... They didn't use the word 'cancer,'" she said.

Crawford says that Jeff was going to the hospital every day for radiation, but that the prognosis wasn't good.

"He was in remission at times, it was like that hope that he's cured, he's better.

"Then the remission ends and they get sick again and all of a sudden it's more doctors, more hospitals and you know my mother, more distracted and sad and stressed out."

Crawford says at the time she had no experience of death at ten, but she is sure her brother understood.

"Right before he died he had told all of his doctors, 'I'm not coming back.'"

It was Christmas and Jeff was due to see his doctors on January 3.

"The day that he was supposed to go back to the hospital, that is when he died," says Crawford.

"There's some sense of completeness and peace that comes with knowing that he knew that, and he kind of had decided he was done fighting," Crawford says.

Crawford has two children, Kaia Jordan Gerber, 13, and Presley Walker Gerber, 16, with Rande Gerber.

Following in her mother's footsteps, Kaia recently made her modelling debut in Vogue Italia.
    (Kaia Gerber (Cindy Crawford's daughter) - Vogue Italia and CR Fashion Book)

In response to the spread, Crawford showed her support for her daughter on Instagram, writing: "Guess I better watch my back... Love this shot of @KaiaGerber by #StevenMeisel for @VogueItalia!"

Elite Member

How Cindy Crawford's 3-Year-Old Brother Helped Her Come To Terms With His Death

How Cindy Crawford's 3-Year-Old Brother Helped Her Come To Terms With His Death

Posted: 07/06/2015 8:59 am EDT Updated: 07/08/2015 12:59 pm EDT

Cindy and her brother Jeff.

Growing up with three sisters, Cindy Crawford said she always knew her dad wanted a boy. He finally got his wish when her brother Jeff was born. Sadly, the family’s joy didn’t last long, as Jeff was diagnosed with leukemia when he was just 2 years old.

“I think when my parents first told us that my brother was sick, we didn’t really understand what it meant,” Crawford, who was 8 at the time of diagnosis, says “They didn’t use the word ‘cancer.’”

The family made near-daily trips to the hospital -- a two-hour drive from their home -- for Jeff’s radiation treatments. The prognosis was grim, so Crawford’s parents enrolled Jeff in an experimental program.
    At times, the family would experience a glimmer of hope when Jeff would go into remission. But then he would get sick again, and the family only endured more doctors, more hospitals and more agony.

At this point in her life, Crawford hadn’t had any close encounters with death, so she didn’t truly understand what was happening. However, she says her brother knew.

“My mother said she found him sitting in his room," Crawford recalls. "He was sitting at his little table, and she said, ‘What are you doing?’ And he said, ‘I’m praying.’ And she said, ‘What are you praying about?’ He said, ‘So that when I die, you’ll be OK.’ As a mom now, I can’t imagine hearing your child say that."

When Jeff was 3, he was supposed to go through another series of painful treatments after a break for Christmas. But he told doctors that he wasn’t coming back. “He said, ‘I’m not doing that,'" Crawford says. "He’s 3 years old, so they’re all like, ‘OK, sure.’ And the day that he was supposed to go back to the hospital, that’s the day he died. There’s some sense of completeness and peace that comes with knowing he knew that and he decided he was done fighting.”

"Oprah's Master Class" airs on OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Um, you posted twice. Can you delete one of the articles? This is pretty sad and horrible. Poor little boy.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

“My mother said she found him sitting in his room," Crawford recalls. "He was sitting at his little table, and she said, ‘What are you doing?’ And he said, ‘I’m praying.’ And she said, ‘What are you praying about?’ He said, ‘So that when I die, you’ll be OK.’ As a mom now, I can’t imagine hearing your child say that."
    Not only is that just unbelievably sad and poignant, but based on my experience, that is an incredibly self aware statement for a 3-year-old to make.
    LastLook likes this.

^^^ From what I understand, it's actually normal for kids, even small kids, who suffer from serious/terminal
    illnesses to think this way. They are more frightened for their parents than for themselves and are wiser than an average child (due to having to deal with an adult situation at extremely young ages). They will comfort their parents or make statements that sound wise beyond their years.
    HWBL, soogar, weathered1 and 3 others like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    ^^^ From what I understand, it's actually normal for kids, even small kids, who suffer from serious/terminal
    illnesses to think this way. They are more frightened for their parents than for themselves and are wiser than an average child (due to having to deal with an adult situation at extremely young ages). They will comfort their parents or make statements that sound wise beyond their years.
    (Just can't handle the thought of a 3-year-old confronting their own mortality.....)
    weathered1, stef, deenz and 3 others like this.

Me either. The fact that a child (or anyone) can even have cancer makes me feel extreme rage. I cannot imagine how helpless parents would feel in that situation.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "

Me either. The fact that a child (or anyone) can even have cancer makes me feel extreme rage. I cannot imagine how helpless parents would feel in that situation.
    I mentioned this on another thread, but a close coworker of mine (his office is literally right next to mine) has a three-year-old son whose new baby teeth had started falling out. He and his wife were alarmed and took him in to the doctor. Supposedly, the boy appears to have a very rare condition that is fatal in half the cases. And in the cases where the child lives, they basically grow up without teeth. We work together constantly, and the last update he gave me was when they were going in to find out whether his case might be fatal or not. I haven't asked him about it since (that was at least several months ago). My coworker seems okay, and hasn't mentioned it since. I'm figuring that I shouldn't bring it up and discuss it unless he does.

Wow. That's awful. I hope their son will be ok. Poor baby..

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    (Just can't handle the thought of a 3-year-old confronting their own mortality.....)
    I know. My 3-year-old niece hasn't yet confronted the fact that the whole world isn't perfect and fun, and I wish she never had to.

It is just not fair for little kids to be that sick.

Elite Member

The idea of any little one having a fatal illness hurts my heart so bad, and that situation ^ would be my worst nightmare. I had a good friend who lost her 2 year old son to stomach cancer that she later found out could have been prevented if the doctor hadn't been negligent and ignored her pleas to get her poor little boy an ultrasound. She would often lament, "If I had just insisted on the ultrasound more", or "I should've gotten a second opinion sooner...", I watched that woman torture herself because she felt it was her fault. Rips my fucking heart out of my chest.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I went in for major open heart surgery at 6 yrs old & never said something like that. I was too mute.

Thread Information