Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Loretta Young allegedly raped by Clark Gable & had child, according to relative

Default Loretta Young allegedly raped by Clark Gable & had child, according to relative

Loretta Young was date raped by Clark Gable, gave birth to daughter whose paternity was kept secret for years: relative

HO/REUTERS Actress Loretta Young is seen with actor Clark Gable while starring in "Call of the Wild" in 1935. Young's daughter-in-law now says the late actress believed Gable date raped her, leading to her pregnancy.

For most of Loretta Young's life, gossip and rumors swirled about the paternity of the Oscar Award-winning actress' daughter.
    Now, nearly 15 years after the posthumous revelation that it was indeed fellow Hollywood legend Clark Gable who fathered her child, her family has a new secret to tell: It was rape.
    In a sit-down interview with Buzz Feed, Young's daughter-in-law, Linda Lewis, said it was while watching "Larry King Live" in 1998 that Young first heard about the words "date rape" and inquired on its meaning.
    "I said, 'It doesn't have to be violent, it doesn't have to be rip-your-clothes-off. It's when your no isn't no,'" Lewis recalled her words and Young's eye-opening reaction.
    "That's what happened between me and Clark," she allegedly told Lewis.
    That startling revelation comes 80 years after Young famously starred alongside Gable at the age of 23 in "Call of the Wild."
    AP Enlarge Anonymous/Ap Enlarge The Academy Award winning actress, left, gave birth to her daughter Judy Lewis, pictured right in 1966, but denied the pregnancy. She instead said that she had adopted the child.

Less than a year later she would give birth to her first child, a daughter she'd name Judy. But it wouldn't be until 2000 — years after enduring rumors and criticisms of her so-called affair and resulting "love child" as a devout Catholic — that she'd posthumously confess in her memoirs that it was indeed Gable who fathered her baby.
    Lewis, speaking to Buzz Feed from her Florida home in April, noted that it was no secret that Young fell for the handsome leading man who was 12 years older though married at the time.
    "Mom used to tell me that every performance involved falling a little bit in love with her co-star," she told the website.
    But it was while the film crew was traveling back to Hollywood by train that she said Gable snuck into Young's personal, overnight compartment, and took advantage of her.
    "She was so humiliated," Linda Lewis said, "and what she would do when she was humiliated was just 'on with the show.' Because she had been trained since the age of 3, you put a good face on it, and you go forward. She knew she'd have to continue working with him."
    ...what she would do when she was humiliated was just 'on with the show.'
    Gable and Young would both deny stories about their relations, but it was Young who went through excruciating measures to keep it a secret from not just the public but her film studio.
    Those efforts included Young staging an overwhelming number of public events and interviews in the early months of her pregnancy in hopes of explaining her later need for rest. She then planned a weeks-long trip overseas with her mother. When she returned the press was told that she had fallen ill.
    Young gave birth to her daughter Judy on Nov. 6, 1935, inside a secluded Los Angeles cottage. There her doctor reportedly went so far as giving her chloroform so no one outside would hear her cries in labor.
    Though the birth had been concealed, how to raise the child proved to be another puzzle.
    Young resorted to giving the baby, who had a false name listed as her mother on her birth certificate, to an orphanage and at 19 months old she was formally adopted by her biological mother.
    JILL CONNELLY/AP Judy Lewis had expressed upset about her mother not confessing to having given birth to her.

Roughly the next 30 years of Judy's life would be based on lies and secrets. Only shortly before her wedding day did she accept that Gable was her father — which she determined by relying on rumors and their physical resemblances.
    Judy, who today is famously known as Judy Lewis or to some as "the Secret Daughter of Hollywood," died in 2011 at the age of 76.
    In her 1994 memoir, "Uncommon Knowledge," she expressed her upset that her mother never admitted that her adoption was all a sham, even to her.
    Young refused to speak with her daughter for the next three years after her memoir’s publication.
    Then in 1998, for the first time, Young allegedly opened her mind to the idea that what happened to her in the 1930s was not her fault.
    Linda Lewis said Young ultimately decided not to discuss it with her daughter before her death. She reasoned that, "'this wouldn't help Judy.'"
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Elite Member

Damn.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

That's sad.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I don't think this is new news, is it?
    Linne likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I've heard the story about Loretta Young's daughter being born out of wedlock and then adopted by Loretta but not the rape. It had always been told that Gable and Young had a pretty torrid affair and then she became pregnant and had then the whole adoption was arranged by the studio.
    One story I remember reading was that Clark Gable did know it was his child, came over to Loretta's house to see the baby and she had the baby in a draw at the time as she didn't have a crib for whatever reason. He threw money at her and said, "Get the baby a crib for God's sake" and then never saw or inquired about the little girl again. Not sure if that one's true.
    I always felt sorry for Judy because after Loretta died, she did an interview with her two brothers on I think Larry King and both she and her brothers said that her mother treated her differently from the brothers, never had the feeling for her and was harsher to her than her brothers. The whole thing is just tragic.
    Belt Up likes this.

I had never heard about it as rape. I thought it was one of those on-set film affairs.
    gas_chick likes this.

In one of the Gone with the Wind books I have they imply he saw the girl in her adolescent years too

I'm not buying it; Loretta has been accused of lying about lots of incidents in her life. Maybe it did happen, but I doubt it. I think she said it out of guilt and shame for having slept with a married man. She was crazily devoutly Catholic. "Every time Loretta commits a sin, she builds a church.", Joan Crawford said. "That's why there are so many churches in Malibu".
    llamamama, Mivvi21, nana51 and 3 others like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^ That's so Joan. Not to derail from Loretta - but Joan and Clark made about nine movies together - do we know if they did it? They had to at least once.
    firebrat1229 and BITTER like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    ^^ That's so Joan. Not to derail from Loretta - but Joan and Clark made about nine movies together - do we know if they did it? They had to at least once.
    moviemorlocks.com – Clark Gable & Joan Crawford: The Affair that Nearly Burned Hollywood Down
    There you go , Joan and her eyebrows
    Witchywoman and CornFlakegrl like this.

Bless you my child. Where's that TCM blog been all my life? Thank you Choozen.
    choozen1ne and Lalasnake like this.

A*O

I read about this in the marvellous book "Hollywood Babylon" many years ago. It was portrayed as a fling, not rape. Either way the daughter bears a striking resemblance to her alleged father.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Either way the daughter bears a striking resemblance to her alleged father.
    She really does look just like him.

A*O

Belt Up likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Dunno, I don't see much resemblance.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information