Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Sophie B. Hawkins (50) has baby girl Esther Ballantine Hawkins on July 7 2015

Default Sophie B. Hawkins (50) has baby girl Esther Ballantine Hawkins on July 7 2015

Sophie B. Hawkins Welcomes a Baby Girl at 50: See the First Photo!

Celebrity Moms Jul. 10, 2015 AT 12:25PM By Allison Corneau

Sophie B. Hawkins welcomed her second child, a baby girl, in New York City. Credit: Janette Pellegrini/Getty Images

Sophie B. Hawkins is singing a happy song today! The 50-year-old performer, best known for her '90s hits "As I Lay Me Down" and "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" welcomed a baby girl named Esther Ballantine Hawkins on Tuesday, July 7, she confirms exclusively to Us Weekly. It is the second child for Hawkins, 50, who gave birth to son Dashiell in 2008.

"Dashiell and I are ecstatic to finally be with our beautiful girl," she tells Us. "Our family is now complete!"
    PHOTOS: Celebrity babies born in 2015
    Sophie B. Hawkins and her son Dashiell with new baby girl named Esther Ballantine Hawkins
    Credit: Sadie Mitnick

Confirming her pregnancy in February, Hawkins who affectionately nicknamed her daughter-to-be "Bubble Gum" told Us she wasn't worried about expanding her family later in life. "Being 50 is actually an amazing age to have a second child because I am more wise, calm, humorous, appreciative, simple and clear," Hawkins, who froze 15 embryos when she was 31, explained. "I'm not running around looking for love and validation. I live each day full of gratitude, and that's good for my children."

Hawkins did worry about how her son would react to having a little sister, but is now confident the family of three will adjust just fine.
    "I'm in great health and Dashiell was a healthy pregnancy, but the risks emotionally seemed huge, the singer said. "Losing the closeness with Dash, our free and adventurous lifestyle, and the risk that he would feel betrayed by my having another child. We've come through serious trauma with depth, healing and humor and that has made our bond even stronger."

Free Charmed.

fgg

a 19 year old embryo being born. science is crazy!
    tulip, Clubber Lang and Honeythorn like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    a 19 year old embryo being born. science is crazy!
    Yeah, I don't believe it. Back when she announced she was pregnant I googled it, and she would be about tied for the 2nd oldest frozen embryo resulting in a live birth. I just read on eonline she was quoted as saying that she "conceived using donor sperm and her own frozen embryo". You can't fertilize an embryo!! Um, did she mean donor sperm and her own frozen egg? They weren't even doing that (freezing eggs) 20 years ago. I think she used a donor embryo.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    Yeah, I don't believe it. Back when she announced she was pregnant I googled it, and she would be about tied for the 2nd oldest frozen embryo resulting in a live birth. I just read on eonline she was quoted as saying that she "conceived using donor sperm and her own frozen embryo". You can't fertilize an embryo!! Um, did she mean donor sperm and her own frozen egg? They weren't even doing that (freezing eggs) 20 years ago. I think she used a donor embryo.
    I think it means that the embryo is so old that it has reached puberty and started ovulating.
    llamamama, Syd, mostroop and 9 others like this.

czb

i think they did freeze eggs that long ago, but had poor results. technology has changed a lot since then. not sure if the newer technology produces resuls that compare favorably with frozen embryos, though.

Yikes, an infant at 50?! I am just a few years older and there is no way.
    nwgirl likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think it means that the embryo is so old that it has reached puberty and started ovulating.
    She can take her out for drinks on her second birthday!

Her new baby is already older then my son, who turned 18 on July 7th...

It's crazy to have a baby at 50 and still see them through school in your 70s. I don't care how fit you think you are and how well you think you would fit in.
    Jazzy and NickiDrea like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Quote Originally Posted by llamamama View Post
    Srly? I even bolded it in the article!
    Hawkins, who froze 15 embryos when she was 31,

Since "test tube" babies have been around for 30+ years (I know an IVF "baby" that must be 26 by now), there would be no issue freezing the embryos & using them.

I'm guessing that the kid's college fund was spent on the cryogenic costs?
    I cannot imagine having a kid now (& I'm not 50), but her body, her eggs.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I can remember hearing the term "test tube babies" as a kid and being sorely disappointed when I found out they didn't actually grow them in a test tube and just hand them to you when they were ready.

czb

i think we are talking about different things.

IVF technology has been around for 25+ years. but llama was specifically asking about frozen eggs (vs frozen embryos). they did extract and freeze eggs that long ago, but the conception rates back then were pretty awful. not sure about the technology now.
    Novice and llamamama like this.

She didn't think this through, menopause will be setting in soon and she won't be so calm, clear and comfortable.

czb

not everyone has a hard time with menopause. i'll assume this chick knows what's best for her. but i wouldn't want an infant at 50. and i say that as someone who had twins at 40+.
    Honeythorn, BITTER and Kittylady like this.

Holy crap! You go Sophie! Good on you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information