• 1 Post By *Wookie-Chick*
  • 2 Post By yanna
  • 7 Post By A*O
  • 10 Post By tulip
  • 8 Post By NickiDrea
  • 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 5 Post By A*O
  • 2 Post By heart_leigh

Thread: Jim Carrey Apologizes After Posting Photo of Autistic Boy Without Permission

Elite Member

Default Jim Carrey Apologizes After Posting Photo of Autistic Boy Without Permission

Jim Carrey Apologizes to Family After Posting Photo of Autistic Boy Without Permission

Jim Carrey Apologizes to Family After Posting Pic of Autistic Boy - Us Weekly
    Jul. 3, 2015 AT 7:38PM By Joyce Chen

Jim Carrey apologized after using a photo of an autistic boy without the family's permission. Credit: Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

No hard feelings! Jim Carrey knew it was no laughing matter when a family from Oregon called him out for using a photo of their autistic son without their permission on Wednesday, July 1.

The actor and comedian took to Twitter the next day to apologize — unintentionally shedding light on a good cause in the process.

Carrey, 53, went on a Twitter rant earlier in the week over California’s new vaccine legislation, which eliminates vaccine exemptions for personal or religious reasons.
    He and ex Jenny McCarthy are among a very vocal community of celebrity parents who say that vaccinations could contain mercury or other poisons associated with autism.

“California Gov says yes to poisoning more children with mercury and aluminum in mandatory vaccines,” he tweeted earlier this week.
    “This corporate fascist must be stopped.”

In one tweet, the Truman Show actor included photos of several children, presumed to have been affected by vaccines.
    Among them was Alex Echols, whose family was not too happy to see their son’s image used in such a public realm without their permission.

“Please remove this photo of my son,” his mother Karen tweeted on Wednesday. “You do not have permission to use his image.”

Alex’s aunt, Elizabeth Welch, also chimed in on social media, adding that though Alex did have autism, he was diagnosed prior to being vaccinated, and actually had a condition known as tuberous sclerosis, or TSC.

Carrey apologized and removed the image Thursday.

“I’d like to apologize to the Echols family and others for posting a pic of their kids w/o permission,” he wrote. ”I didn’t mean to cause them distress.”

Karen replied positively, and even suggested that maybe the snafu could lead to something good after all.

“We appreciate the apology,” she wrote. “If you feel so inclined, a shout out for tuberous sclerosis awareness would be awesome! #IAMTSC.”

* Had to include this awesome comment from the comments section..

Ginny4 hours ago If you're looking to Jim Carey or Jenny McCarthy for parenting advice rather than, I don't know, a doctor, then you might need to rethink this parenting thing.

Kittylady likes this.

I mean, for real, this guy posted pics of autistic kids and urged people not to vaccinate because apparently your kid is better off dead or a danger to others rather than being autistic? A dead kid is better than an autistic kid? Really? What a gigantic moron!! Yeah, I think using someone's kid to make this example is more than a little distressful.
    tulip and Kittylady like this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

A*O

I would be livid if a Dumb celebrity used an image of my child to promote his even Dumber antivax bullshit. Can you see what I did there?!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

But hey, that ^ was a great movie
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Elite Member

As both a special education teacher who has worked extensively with kids on the spectrum and the parent of a child with ASD, this made my blood boil. I ranted on Facebook about it, and I'm pasting it here. My disdain for this man and Jenny McCarthy knows no bounds. This is what I ranted:

This man is dead to me. Junk science at its best. Vaccines DO NOT cause autism. And guess what Jim, autism is NOT a deadly disease and DOES NOT make you a lesser human being. I am so sick and tired of people acting like autism is the worst thing that can happen to a child. You know what the worst thing is? Death. What can cause death? Measles. It already has in New York after being eradicated for decades. Jenny McCarthy and now this man have done damage to the strides we're trying to make throughout the world to promote understanding and dispel myths related to ASD. Is it hard to raise a child with autism? Yes. Can it be really difficult for families? Yes. Can it be horribly difficult for a person with autism to feel a part of society? Yes. But we need to stop acting like it is the end of the world. They are different. Not less. Their brains are amazing and fascinating and we have so much to learn from those with ASD. We need to learn to accept and embrace different. People like Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy do nothing but promote fear and misunderstanding.

I have an amazing son who, until recently, we believed had autism but now it appears that he actually has a rare subtype of hyperlexia (which can mimic autism in early years). It can definitely be challenging as he has many if not most of the same behavioral and social issues that kids on the spectrum do. That said, if I could "fix" him, I wouldn't. He wouldn't be the same child that I know and love. I would rather have my wonderful son with all of his issues than a dead son. Autism is a spectrum disorder and no two kids with autism are the same. Plenty of people with autism live full lives and are wonderful people. I hate the stigma that people with autism have to live with. These anti-vax people don't help with their hysteria.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    As both a special education teacher who has worked extensively with kids on the spectrum and the parent of a child with ASD, this made my blood boil. I ranted on Facebook about it, and I'm pasting it here. My disdain for this man and Jenny McCarthy knows no bounds. This is what I ranted:

This man is dead to me. Junk science at its best. Vaccines DO NOT cause autism. And guess what Jim, autism is NOT a deadly disease and DOES NOT make you a lesser human being. I am so sick and tired of people acting like autism is the worst thing that can happen to a child. You know what the worst thing is? Death. What can cause death? Measles. It already has in New York after being eradicated for decades. Jenny McCarthy and now this man have done damage to the strides we're trying to make throughout the world to promote understanding and dispel myths related to ASD. Is it hard to raise a child with autism? Yes. Can it be really difficult for families? Yes. Can it be horribly difficult for a person with autism to feel a part of society? Yes. But we need to stop acting like it is the end of the world. They are different. Not less. Their brains are amazing and fascinating and we have so much to learn from those with ASD. We need to learn to accept and embrace different. People like Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy do nothing but promote fear and misunderstanding.

Well said! Jenny McCarthy has actually said that most parents of children with autism would rather have autism than measles. I guess she doesn't understand that the measles aren't always a simple rash and fever. Maybe it doesn't kill thousands or cause permanent damage to everyone, but it can be deadly.

Reading the things she's said is so frustrating. She's all over the board with what's actually wrong with her son.
    Kittylady likes this.

A*O

The measles vaccine was suspected of being the "autism trigger" - NOT TRUE - but the antivaxxers don't want ANY vaccinations so the really deadly/crippling diseases like polio, diphtheria, etc can raise their ugly heads again. I'm too have an ASD child, specifically Aspergers and high functioning at that so she's doing just fine thanks Jim. She's also fully vaccinated so I don't have to worry about her ending up crippled by polio (or worse).
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I think that people forget how devastating those diseases can be. I see measles and whooping cough coming back and it worries me that polio is just around the corner.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone on the internets once said 'you know what I never hear anyone saying? Boy, I really miss polio'. All these diseases that were gone are coming back and it's scary because it's so unnecessary.

I posted this clip in another thread and it's pertinent than ever.

C_is_for_Cookie and soogar like this.
    Rock the fuck on!

Thread Information