Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: WWE Legend Dusty Rhodes dead at 69

Default WWE Legend Dusty Rhodes dead at 69

Dusty was one of my favorites growing up watching wrestling as a kid.

I am gutted hearing about his passing today.

He could connect with a crowd in a way few can. He was a major star in the world of professional wrestling for years.

Professional wrestling legend Dusty Rhodes dies at age 69

Dusty Rhodes, 'The American Dream,' dies at age 69

Professional wrestling icon Dusty Rhodes, known as "The American Dream," died Thursday, the WWE announced. He was 69.

Rhodes, whose real name was Virgil Riley Runnels Jr., made his professional wrestling debut in 1968 as a tag-team partner on the Texas Outlaws with Dick Murdoch. The charismatic, bleach-blond Texan was known for his on-camera self-promotion.

He was a three-time champion of the NWA and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007.

"Runnels became a hero to fans around the world thanks to his work ethic, his impassioned interviews and his indomitable spirit," the WWE said Thursday in a statement. "Moreover, Runnels was a dedicated father to WWE Superstars Goldust (Dustin Runnels) and Stardust (Cody Runnels), a caring husband and a creative visionary who helped shape the landscape of WWE long after his in-ring career had ended."

In addition to the NWA and WWE, Rhodes also wrestled for the AWA, WCW, Jim Crockett Promotions, ECW and TNA. His many rivals over the years included icons of the industry such as Ric Flair, Superstar Billy Graham, Tully Blanchard, Harley Race and Kevin Sullivan.

Flair tweeted his condolences.

Ric Flair®
    @RicFlairNatrBoy

My mentor @WWEDustyRhodes. Much love to your family and more respect than can ever be measured. Love you Dream.

His sons, Dustin and Cody Runnels, still wrestle for WWE.

Paul Michael Levesque, who is better known as WWE star Triple H, also tweeted his condolences.

Triple H
    @TripleH

Saddened to hear the passing of Dusty Rhodes. Legend, teacher, mentor, friend...Love you Dream #BookinAintEasyKid

dougie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Dusty Rhodes Dead -- WWE Legend Dies (Update) | TMZ.com

11:37 AM PT -- Officials tell us ... emergency personnel responded to Dusty's home in Orlando, FL at 5:56 AM Wednesday morning after getting a call reporting a 69-year-old male had taken a fall.

We're told Rhodes was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he eventually passed away.

We're told Dusty's immediate family raced to be by his side as soon as they learned he was in the hospital.

Our sources tell us Dusty suffered "numerous complications" throughout the night ... which ultimately proved fatal.
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Dusty's Hard Times promo is still talked about to this day by many.

It is considered to be in the top five greatest wrestling promos ever. 30 years later much of what he talks about is still true.

I don't have to say a lot more about the way I feel about Ric Flair. No respect! No honor! There is no honor among thieves in the first place. He put hard times on Dusty Rhodes and his family. You don't know what hard times are, daddy! Hard times are when the textile workers around this country are out of work and got four, five kids, and can't pay their wages, can't buy their food. Hard times are when the auto workers are out of work and they tell them 'Go home!'. And hard times are when a man has worked at a job thirty years — thirty years! — they give him a watch, kick him in the butt and say 'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy!'. That's hard times! That's hard times.

joebob likes this.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Ric Flair -- Tribute to Dusty Rhodes ... I'll Miss My Friend, Mentor | TMZ.com

Ric Flair
    Tribute to Dusty Rhodes
    'I'll Miss My Friend, Mentor'
    6/11/2015 11:59 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE
    Despite their epic rivalry, Ric Flair says

Dusty Rhodes was one of his greatest friends ... and tells TMZ Sports he was "honored to have shared the ring with him."

We just obtained a statement from Flair, through his agent Melinda Morris Zanoni, who tells us:

"Today I lost one of my greatest opponents and greatest friends. He was the definition of heart and soul and I’m honored to have shared the ring with him countless times.

"He became the 'American Dream' because wrestling needed a hero they could respect, and he was the man for the job. Dusty Rhodes, I will miss you my mentor and friend."

Flair and Rhodes battled in the ring several times ... and their feud was the basis for Dusty's legendary, "Hard Times" speech.
    R.I.P.

Seth82 likes this.

They'd been using him lately in a few storylines with his sons. RIP
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Another wrestler gone too soon. So much of my childhood watching wrestling and he was a big part of it even though he wasn't my favorite. RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Dusty Rhodes -- Focused on Dropping Pounds ... One Week Before His Death | TMZ.com

Dusty Rhodes

Focused on Dropping lbs.

One Week Before Death

Dusty Rhodes was laser focused on improving his health when he met with fellow wrestling legend Jerry Brisco last week, and feeling good about his prognosis.

Brisco -- who's known Rhodes for decades -- tells TMZ Sports they hung out in Orlando last Thursday, and Rhodes talked about how he was going to the doctor regularly. He'd been told he needed to bring his blood pressure down, and Brisco says Dusty's weight loss was helping.

Rhodes and Brisco were planning to go to an event Thursday night in Tampa to raise money for a wrestling wall of fame. Jerry says it won't be the same, but he's still going so he can gather with other wrestlers and fans to share Dusty stories.

@NickoMoralesXXX

Just an awesome tribute to Dusty Rhodes.

msdeb likes this.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seth82 View Post
    That is the best promo ever cut. I went and watched it again on youtube, once I heard about his death.
    Seth82 likes this.

Awww RIP
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    That is the best promo ever cut. I went and watched it again on youtube, once I heard about his death.
    For Sure!

Dusty could talk the people into the building no matter what promotion he was in.

His feud with Ric Flair was perfect for the 80s.

Dusty represented the working man who was busting his butt everyday.

Dusty didn't look like some chiseled god. He looked like many of the fans in the crowd.

Flair and the 4 Horsemen represented wall street and corporate greed.
    joebob and msdeb like this.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

i read that they are doing a 10 bell on RAW. maybe even at Money in the Bank on Sunday
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i read that they are doing a 10 bell on RAW. maybe even at Money in the Bank on Sunday
    Hopefully they do some sort of tribute special on WWE Network.

Maybe show their younger fans why so many people loved him.

We've lost so many of these great old stars in the last 10 years or so. It is hard to explain to the cynics or the casual fan, but with every one of these icons that passes, a piece of us goes with them.

There is more to this story than just the passing of one of the most entertaining, engaging, endearing wrestling personalities who ever stepped into a ring. The bigger picture comes more into focus, especially for those of us who grew up in the "Old School" era. it is sad, sobering, scary and a cold, harsh reality to see what's happening here. We're getting older. Our heroes are dying. The men and women of the wrestling world who had us on the edge of our seats with their larger than life characters, stark realism, incredible athleticism and talent are mortal.
    msdeb likes this.
    @NickoMoralesXXX

Rip. Much of my childhood was spent watching wrestling and Dusty with my brothers.
    nwgirl likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I used to watch WWF in the 80's. That was when wrastlin' was good.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information