• 1 Post By MohandasKGanja

Thread: Vincent Bugliosi (Charles Manson Prosecutor) Dead at 80

Default Vincent Bugliosi (Charles Manson Prosecutor) Dead at 80

Vincent Bugliosi

Manson Family Prosecutor

Dead at 80

6/9/2015 3:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

breaking news

Vincent Bugliosi -- the man who put the most dangerous criminals in modern times away for life -- has died.
    Bugliosi was an L.A. County prosecutor in 1969 when he prosecuted Charles Manson and his notorious "family."

Manson is responsible for the brutal 1969 murder of Sharon Tate, who was pregnant, and six others. The bloody scene triggered panic in L.A., with thousands of people arming themselves in fear they would be next. A husband and wife -- unrelated to Tate -- were randomly slaughtered the next night.
    Manson was trying to trigger a race war, which he called "Helter Skelter." That name ended up the title of Bugliosi's book chronicling the killings and the trial, which became a huge seller.
    Bugliosi won convictions against all five defendants, including Manson, and they received the death penalty. The California Supreme Court overturned the death penalty years later and the sentences were reduced to life without parole.
    Bugliosi was battling cancer.

RIP.

Read more: Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com

RIP. One of the first true crime books I read. Manson and Bundy got me hooked.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

He wrote the book "Helter Skelter".

RIP, sir.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Thanks for posting this Shellee, I didn't know this happened. Helter Skelter was my first true crime read too- shit haunts me to this day and Bugliosi made even the legalese fascinating. RIP.
    Bluebonnet and SHELLEE like this.

Helter Skelter, what a book. It certainly shaped what I read for the next 30 years.
    needmeds and SHELLEE like this.

Helter Skelter - amazing book. This guy was awesome. He had another really good book (made into a movie) about another case he handled, as a defense attorney - "And the Sea Will Tell".

RIP!
    SHELLEE likes this.

^That is another great story.

I've never read Helter Skelter because I was always afraid to start it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I've never read Helter Skelter because I was always afraid to start it.
    It's a pretty freaky book to read by yourself on a dark night because the victims were alone/isolated when the Manson family members attacked.

But if you like true crime/Forensic Files types of material, this book is awesome and provides a VERY sweeping view of everyone and everything involved in the case. It's not just about Bugliosi prosecuting it.

By the way, I think the Manson jury was impaneled for a bout a year and a half.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Greys, try to get it and read it, it's really good.
    I specifically remember one part of the book where Vincent said that during the trial he looked up to see Manson staring at him and he looked at his watched and it had stopped. Mind you, I was around 14/15 when I read it so that part really freaked me out.

When Aquarius came out I was hoping Vincent Bugliosi would be the prosecuting attorney in the show, didn't know it was gonna be a fictional account. RIP.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

A lot of Helter Skelter really pissed me off. I didn't appreciate his frequent and rather snide comments about defense attorneys and holier than thou comments about prosecutors. But that's neither here nor there. He really did put a bad guy away in the Tate/LaBianca cases and had to deal with a lot of BS during the trial.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Loved this man. Found him immensely interesting. I read Helter Skelter at a very young age and re-read it thousands of times. RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    A lot of Helter Skelter really pissed me off. I didn't appreciate his frequent and rather snide comments about defense attorneys and holier than thou comments about prosecutors. But that's neither here nor there. He really did put a bad guy away in the Tate/LaBianca cases and had to deal with a lot of BS during the trial.
    I think he got sued for that in real life, too, but won the case because opinion is protected speech. I wouldn't envy anyone who was willing to defend Manson - besides being demonic, it's not likely he would be a cooperative defendant who would assist in his own defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Greys, try to get it and read it, it's really good.
    I specifically remember one part of the book where Vincent said that during the trial he looked up to see Manson staring at him and he looked at his watched and it had stopped. Mind you, I was around 14/15 when I read it so that part really freaked me out.
    Remember also that at one point, he grabbed a sharpened pencil and literally jumped off of the defense table to take a shot at stabbing the judge.

^I'd forgotten about that.

Thread Information