Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Jake Gyllenhaal believes that 'the moon controls our thoughts'

Default Jake Gyllenhaal believes that 'the moon controls our thoughts'

'The moon controls our thoughts': Jake Gyllenhaal talks about his 'scientific' beliefs in bizarre interview

By SHYAM DODGE FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 00:29, 4 June 2015 | UPDATED: 00:30, 4 June 2015

He starred in 2001 cult classic Donnie Darko, a film notorious for its twisted logic and bizarre yet disturbingly brilliant take on quantum physics.
    And it appears that Jake Gyllenhaal might have more in common with the science fiction film than one might have thought.
    The 34-year-old actor recently sat for an interview with Esquire where he discussed some of his more metaphysical beliefs on the nature of human consciousness, how molecules work, and the affect of the moon on human beings.

+2

Going Darko? Jake Gyllenhaal talks about his 'scientific' beliefs in new interview, picured at Cannes Film Festival in May

'I believe deeply in the unconscious. That you literally accumulate the molecules of the space that you're in,' Gyllenhaal began.
    'We're like 90 percent water, so naturally we are going to be affected by the moon when it's full: if the sea is, why wouldn't we be?'
    'That seems scientific to me,' he concluded.
    The former teen heartthrob went on to discuss how he prepared to play a police officer in End Of Watch.
    'If you spend enough time in whatever environment your character would exist in the way I spent six months with police officers then the molecules of that environment must transfer somehow,' Gyllenhaal mused.

+2

His genesis in Hollywood: He starred in 2001 cult classic Donnie Darko, a film notorious for its twisted logic and bizarre yet disturbingly brilliant take on quantum physics

'And then you put it on screen, and people go, 'I feel something that I don't normally feel.'
    In his 2001 film Donnie Darko - of which he plays the title character - Jake played a disturbed young man who discovers a key to time travel, or so he believes.
    His character is plagued by doomsday visions as a large bunny rabbit, that only he can see, named Frank tells him the world will end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes and 12 seconds.
    He is also aided by a fictional book called The Philosophy Of Time Travel and a psychotherapist who believes hypnosis unlocks hidden meanings.
    By the end of the film it is still unclear if mental illness or a grander vision of the universe is at the root of the film's main plot points.

Read more: Jake Gyllenhaal says the moon controls human beings as he talks about his 'scientific' beliefs in bizarre interview | Daily Mail Online

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Put that in the school books, folks.
    joebob and Clubber Lang like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The Psych Ward is calling you're name Jake.
    Clubber Lang likes this.

What is it about Hollywood that attracts highly impressionable people of questionable intelligence who all seem compelled to show us what utter dingbats they are?

i was expecting much worse from the headline, this is pretty tame by esoteric crackpot standards. i was at least expecting some crystals and shit. daily fail.
    Just Kill Me and Honeythorn like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

So now he's Shirley MacLaine?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I will indulge in his Kool Aid.

And all this time I thought the moon was controlling the tides.
    Piss off!

A*O

Actually, I think some people are effected by the cycles of the moon. A Full moon definitely brings out the cray cray. There's even a word for it, "lunatic" from the Latin "luna" = moon.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

'I believe deeply in the unconscious. That you literally accumulate the molecules of the space that you're in,' Gyllenhaal began.
    That is litterally not how molecules work.

''We're like 90 percent water, so naturally we are going to be affected by the moon when it's full: if the sea is, why wouldn't we be?'
    The human body is closer to 60% water.

'That seems scientific to me,' he concluded.
    Unless you have actual scientific proof, nothing "seems" scientific.

'I 'If you spend enough time in whatever environment your character would exist in the way I spent six months with police officers then the molecules of that environment must transfer somehow,' Gyllenhaal mused.
    Again, no. He has learned how a police officer works by watching him work, but knowledge is not transfered through molecules.

We (as a society) really need to stop idolising celebrities. They're dumb as door knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Actually, I think some people are effected by the cycles of the moon. A Full moon definitely brings out the cray cray. There's even a word for it, "lunatic" from the Latin "luna" = moon.
    Not exactly.
    Lunatic comes from the same root as moon because people back then believed that the moon affected our thoughts (they even thought it was the cause of serveral different mental ilnesses).
    It is now known that the moon does not affect our minds (known as in scientifically proven), but the word hasn't changed.

I find it interesting how the word "lunatic" is a false friend in italian.
    Lunatico in Italian means someone whose mood changes often.
    Lunatic in English means mad.

^^^^
    but their moods were thought to change often because of changes in the lunar cycle. "Lunatique" has the same meaning in french as in Italian. Either way, in all 3 languages the root of the word is the moon.

i don't believe in it either but it's been a long held belief in many cultures for thousands of years.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, I know when the moon is full, I have a harder time falling asleep. And I've always heard more babies are born when the moon is full. Maybe it's an old wives tale. *shrugs*
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

There are so many things that affect us; I can believe that the moon cycle as well. However, im not so sure about travelling policeman molecules...

My Mom is a nurse at a nursing home. She assures me she has to coffee up before a full moon night shift.
    I believe too that the moon can affect moods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information