• 6 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 6 Post By stella blue
  • 1 Post By Bellatheball
  • 3 Post By rollo
  • 1 Post By Brookie
  • 7 Post By sputnik

Thread: Miuccia Prada: 'Embrace ugliness, ageing and get a job'

Default Miuccia Prada: 'Embrace ugliness, ageing and get a job'

Miuccia Prada, doyenne of the fashion world, has told ladies who lunch to get a job instead of worrying about their wrinkles.
    The designer said women with careers are too busy to care about such trivialities.

I had this problem – worrying about looking old – when I was 33 and thank God I got over it and it never came back,” said Prada, now 66.
    “And in any case, if we work, who cares? If you don’t work, of course you think about the problem of your wrinkles from morning until night. If you work, you have something better to think about.
    “That is the beginning of every possible kind of pride, and with those women [who don’t work] I really have no conversation.”

Prada has a warning for trophy wives. “If you don’t work, if you depend on a man for your bread, how can you be happy? If you are young and blonde, maybe he will love an older one with black hair.
    “So just live your life. This is so obvious,” she said.

Miuccia Prada, Miu Miu fragrance annouced for 2015 (Reuters)

The Italian designer told The Observer that “the world is ageing” and women should feel comfortable in their skin.

“From a commercial point of view, eventually people will start saying [being older] is fantastic,” she said, adding that the shift in thinking will come from within rather than from seeing older models in advertising campaigns.
    “You won’t convince people with models, but when each of us really believes in ourselves, and feels good and beautiful and sexy and secure, that will be it,” she said.
    Prada took over the family firm after gaining a degree in political science and is known as one of fashion’s more cerebral figures.

She admitted: “I’m very proud of my job. I used to be ashamed of it because I was educated, I was a feminist. But finally I am proud of it. I earn my own money, which is a huge thing for a woman.”
    Prada’s designs are not to everyone’s taste – Giorgio Armani famously called them “sometimes ugly” and an example of “bad taste that becomes chic”.
    They are also expensive. Asked what women should do if they coveted her clothes but could not afford them, Prada conceded that fashion is “undemocratic”. She said: “If you can afford it, you can, and if you can’t, you can’t.
    “I would say: wear vintage. I would say: be strong and proud. Look chic with something less expensive.”

Miuccia Prada tells wealthy wives: 'If you don't work, how can you be happy?' - Telegraph

SapphireJD, idunno, MsDark and 4 others like this.

Im not sure I agree with every single thing she said, but i think about this topic a lot, especially as i get older and my tastes evolve.
    I love women close to my age
    i love women who have a job or some kind of cool expertise or avocation. Who don't depend on you financially but need to have you in their lives
    I love women with charisma - like a kind of energy that radiates outward combined with a love for life
    Imperfections are fine. In my opinion, people who don't have them are too inwardly directed.

eta - I'm on vacation and have been drinking several wines.....

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Im not sure I agree with every single thing she said, but i think about this topic a lot, especially as i get der and my tastes evolve.
    I love women close to my age
    i love women who have a job or some kind of cool expertise or avocation. Who don't depend on you financially but need to have you in their lives
    I love women with charisma - like a kind of energy that radiates outward combined with a love for life
    Imperfections are fine. In my opinion, people who don't have them are too inwardly directed.
    You don't by any chance have a clone who is single, do ya?

Wow. Terribly offensive. How is it impossible to see the value a woman brings to the table when she focuses on staying home and raising her children?
    Angeli likes this.

^ I think she is talking about trophy wives, though. I agree with Georgio Armani.
    chartreuse, arie_skop and idunno like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

It's easy to say all that when your last name is "Prada".
    Beeyotch likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yes love, you carry on focusing on making your ugly, over priced clothes instead.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I like miuccia. She's one of my top 3 (living) designers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Wow. Terribly offensive. How is it impossible to see the value a woman brings to the table when she focuses on staying home and raising her children?
    No need to get offended. She clearly stated she was referring to trophy wives/ladies who lunch who have time to think about their wrinkles all day and whose worth and value to their husbands is defined only by their looks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Her initial comment about not working says nothing about trophy wives. Perhaps that's what she intended but that's not what's stated in that sentence.

Elite Member

It's hardly unreasonable to read the entire article and not just the first sentence.

Just as it's unreasonable to assume I stopped after the first sentence. It's perfectly ok for you to disagree with me.

Thread Information