Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, was told she was ‘too old’ to play the wife of a 55-year-old

Default Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, was told she was ‘too old’ to play the wife of a 55-year-old

Maggie Gyllenhaal, an Oscar nominee getting Emmy buzz for her work on the Sundance miniseries “The Honourable Woman,” reveals that she was recently turned down for a role in a movie because she was too old to play the love interest for a 55-year-old man. No kidding.

“There are things that are really disappointing about being an actress in Hollywood that surprise me all the time,” she said during an interview for an upcoming issue of TheWrap Magazine. “I’m 37 and I was told recently I was too old to play the lover of a man who was 55. It was astonishing to me. It made me feel bad, and then it made feel angry, and then it made me laugh.”
    Gyllenhaal declined to specify the project on which she was considered too old, but we’re wide open to suggestions. What’s casting out there with a 55-year-old leading man?

And despite the recent slam, Gyllenhaal said she was hopeful for women. “A lot of actresses are doing incredible work right now, playing real women, complicated women,” said the actress, who won a Golden Globe in January for her role in “The Honourable Woman” as an Anglo-Israeli businesswoman. “I don’t feel despairing at all. And I’m more looking with hope for something fascinating.”

[From The Wrap]

Cele|bitchy | Maggie Gyllenhaal, 37, was told she was ‘too old’ to play the wife of a 55-year-old

I'm sure they cast a lovely fetus to play the love interest.

That's sucks but unfortunately in reality that's probably not far off the mark. If the male character is some rich or
    famous dude, it goes
    without saying that his mistress is going to be some pretty young thang.
    Clubber Lang and arie_skop like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Ann Bancroft played the cougar mother of Katherine Ross in The Graduate, seducing her daughter's boyfriend.

Bancroft was 36 at the time. Dustin Hoffman was 30.

I'mNotBitter likes this.

czb

^^^ yeah. but in all fairness, anne was SMOKING HOT in the graduate. maggie was good in the secretary, but dismal in the things i've seen her in since. it was painful to watch her in batman.
    rollo, BITTER, Angeli and 1 others like this.

Also, to be fair, Maggie looks like she's pushing at least 50.
    Froogy, Angeli, llamamama and 9 others like this.

Actually, I thought Ann Bancroft looked old as hell in that movie...way, way older than 36 (people generally looked older then anyway).
    And Maggie definitely looks older than her years, but partly because of that 'do she's been sporting for so long.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Yeah, I don't know if it's style or that everyone smoked and drank all the time (although I do plenty of that myself), but 30somethings in the 60's don't look like 30somethings now. I would look like a little girl playing dressup in that outfit, and I'm 37.

Plus, she was probably lying about her age.
    Clubber Lang and Bluebonnet like this.

Anne Bancroft then was way hotter than Maggie droopy-face Gyllenhaal. Sex appeal: she don't got it.
    Clubber Lang, czb, Angeli and 3 others like this.

maggie doesn't translate in print. she's really cute when she interviews. not a 'knockout' but much more attractive.

Maybe I didn't express myself very well.

My point was that Ann Bancroft at 36 being the same age as Maggie and much hotter all around, was still cast as the mother of an adult child, not a central character of love interest - that went to Katherine Ross.

Women over 30 are aged out of the entertainment industry very early on unless they are willing to take on 'character' roles.

So it has always been.
    gas_chick, Trixie and stella blue like this.

You gotta love how men age like fine wine and women like milk.
    holly and Beeyotch like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^ Yep, when Maggie was around 30, she was in Crazy Heart, playing the love interest of Jeff Bridges, close to 30 years her senior. Now, 6 years later, the gap is closing. And it really doesn't help that she's not a exactly a "hot" 37.

It's no secret or shock that Hollywood actors are allowed to age, they just cast younger and younger women as their co-stars. The exceptions I can think of are Diane Keaton (Something's Gotta Give) and Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment) , who both played age-appropriate love interests to Jack Nicholson, but both times, the romantic plot was about how the male never dated women his own age. Meryl Streep got to play the ex-wife of a younger guy (Alec Baldwin) in a movie, but, well, she's Meryl Streep. In As Good as it Gets, we get Jack romantically involved with Helen Hunt, 25 years younger.

And I can't believe Ann Bancroft was only 36! She was lovely, but yeah, an old-looking 36 by today's standards. I would have pegged her at about 10 years older in that movie.
    llamamama and nwgirl like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    And it really doesn't help that she's not a exactly a "hot" 37.
    Bingo. I think they were just being nice to her. Would they tell Sofia Vergara she's too old to date a 55 year old?
    czb and Beeyotch like this.

IIRC, Anne's character in The Graduate was supposed to be in her 40s. Anne aged herself up a bit, especially with the hair. The role was originally offered to Doris Day, who was more age appropriate, but she turned it down.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information