Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Amy Poehler to male Hollywood execs: ‘stop asking me where my children are’

Default Amy Poehler to male Hollywood execs: ‘stop asking me where my children are’

On surviving comedy as a woman: “I have these meetings with really powerful men and they ask me all the time, ‘Where are your kids? Are your kids here?’” she says with a sneer. “It’s such a weird question. Never in a million years do I ask guys where their kids are. It would be comparable to me going to a guy, ‘Do you feel like you see your kids enough?’”

The scrutiny makes her uncomfortable:
    “It’s a struggle for me to remain open. To not shut down because I’m defensive or scared or maybe my ego is getting in the way. And the other side of that is just believing that I belong where I am and deserve to take up space. I fight constantly between those two things, between not apologizing for what I want and staying vulnerable and creatively supple and not thinking I know better than everyone else.”

On talking like a man:
    “I often look to men to model behavior. Not because I want to squelch what’s feminine about me, but because sometimes I want a little more action, a little less feeling in my interactions. I’ve been doing this thing lately where I try to talk slower at meetings. I take a lot of meetings with women and we all talk really fast. But every guy talks so much slower. I think men are just a little bit more comfortable taking up conversational real estate. So I’ve been seeing how slow I can tolerate talking. I’m doing it now. Let me tell you, it’s really hard for me.”

Why she works so heavily with emerging female talent:
    “It’s selfish. I just like working with women.”

She’s very involved with the Worldwide Orphans Foundation:
    “When I’m with my kids, I feel so lucky to have all this love in my life. But these orphans have nobody who lights up when they come into the room, and that’s really, really heavy.”

[Form Fast Company]

Cele|bitchy | Amy Poehler to male Hollywood execs: ‘stop asking me where my children are’
    ManxMouse, sluce, Tati and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    On surviving comedy as a woman: “I have these meetings with really powerful men and they ask me all the time, ‘Where are your kids? Are your kids here?’” she says with a sneer. “It’s such a weird question. Never in a million years do I ask guys where their kids are. It would be comparable to me going to a guy, ‘Do you feel like you see your kids enough?’”

So true and so annoying - maybe they don't want to imply that you are a bad mother, abandoning your children for work but it is still annoying that casual conversation has to revolve around the children of a mother in the eyes of others.

For this very reason when I joined a club where I train now twice a week, I deliberately witheld this vital info (that I am a mother of two). It's been almost 3 years and there are many topics we discuss (male dominated club) and not one filler question: "so how are the kids". It's great! That is "me" time; no thinking about domestic chores and a proof that SAHMs (that I was before working part time) can hold intelligent (or silly) conversations not mentioning their offsprings.

At other places before I told after a while and the behaviours of others totally changed - I was put into a certain box that I generally don't mind, but when I'm off duty, I am completely off duty to the point that it irritates me to be reminded of my "sole purpose" aka childrearing. /frowny face/
    BITTER likes this.

Love her so much.
    chartreuse likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus!

She annoys me but I really want to like her.
    Bellatheball likes this.

Love, love her.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

"Taking up conversational real estate" is such a funny phrase. She's cool in my book too.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    "Taking up conversational real estate" is such a funny phrase. She's cool in my book too.
    I say to clients "you've got some major closet real estate". The rest of that sentence in my mind is (and you've got to purge and organize it) I wonder where I picked up that phrase.

I thought she was referring to all the pedo's, and thought it was a creepy question in that light.
    Can't say I've had too many men ask about my kids unless they were family.
    Drive-by poster

When I'm in the office and people see pictures of my kids on my desk during the summer months, men are ALWAYS asking me, "So what are your kids doing while you're at work?"

PINING away for me, duh. There is nothing else they could possibly be doing.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    I think it's a great phrase. I find Amy Poehler very attractive and interesting, but there is an edge to her that makes me feel like she would be difficult to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

She’s very involved with the Worldwide Orphans Foundation:
    “When I’m with my kids, I feel so lucky to have all this love in my life. But these orphans have nobody who lights up when they come into the room, and that’s really, really heavy.”

[Form Fast Company]

Cele|bitchy | Amy Poehler to male Hollywood execs: ‘stop asking me where my children are’
    This makes me want to cry.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    When I'm in the office and people see pictures of my kids on my desk during the summer months, men are ALWAYS asking me, "So what are your kids doing while you're at work?"

that's why i don't have pics of my kids on my desk or in my office. i don't want people asking obnoxious questions or doubting my ability to do a good job. however, mr czb has pics of our kids on his desk and no one asks what the kids are doing or question the time he spends with him. annoying, but reality ....
    WhateverLolaWants likes this.

Yeah, Blix never gets that question, either and his pictures of the kids are on little frames that attach to the side of his monitor, so they're hard to miss.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

czb

it's annoying, but instead of complaining about it, i just remove the issue.

whoever says there is no inequity in the workplace is a moron. or a man.
    Froogy likes this.

When people ask me where my kids are I just say, "My husband watches them." Then they don't know what to say.
    MohandasKGanja, sluce and Froogy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information