• 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 3 Post By *Kat*
  • 2 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 1 Post By Clubber Lang
  • 1 Post By Liza

Thread: Amanda Seyfried Sought Treatment for Anxiety

Default Amanda Seyfried Sought Treatment for Anxiety

Amanda Seyfried Says She Sought Therapy for Debilitating Anxiety

Amanda Seyfried is terrified of getting up in front of an audience and sought therapy for her anxiety issues, she reveals to Vogue in the magazine's June issue.

Seyfried talked about how she downed shots of Jameson's before a 2012 appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman while promoting Les Miserables. She admitted on air she was "pretty drunk."

"It made it fun for me," Seyfried, 29, tells Vogue. "But then I watched it and was like 'That is not what I want to promote about myself.' "

Seyfried, who is preparing to make her stage debut off-Broadway in Neil LaBute's The Way We Get By, says she has stage fright and sought help from a psychiatrist to get over her fears.

"I have a lot of anxiety that I?ve been struggling with my whole life," Seyfried says. "So I have been working through it. I'm terrified, but this is exactly what I wanted
    ."

Amanda Seyfried Says She Sought Therapy for Debilitating Anxiety : People.com
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Elite Member

"...she has stage fright and sought help from a psychiatrist to get over her fears" In other words, "Now I'm on 15 bars of xanax a day and I couldn't be doing better!"

I dunno. I have stage fright and general anxiety issues as well but shrinks did nothing for me, I didn't get relief until I went to a hypnotherapist.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I have anxiety, but not stage fright or public speaking. Odd choice of a profession for someone who has stage fright.
    arie_skop likes this.

Elite Member

You'd be amazed how many of us go into entertainment and have crippling stage fright, I'll never understand why we do it. For years, literally every time I walked on stage I wanted to pee my pants. For me hypnotherapy worked wonders on my stage fright and even more so on the horrific PTSD I suffered with. Love hypnotherapy, I highly recommend it.

I feel for her. I've been dealing social anxiety most of my life. I'm a complete chatterbox when it comes to people I know, but when meeting new people I freeze up, blank out and make less than a stellar first impression. Having moved to a new city by myself where I didn't know anyone made it even harder to have a social life. Recently I decided enough is enough and signed up at the local toastmasters club and joined meetup.com where I could meet people locally and hang out. So far it's been helping me tremendously, putting myself in situations which I would normally find uncomfortable or terrifying to show myself it's not bad after all. I keep telling myself everytime my anxiety starts creeping back up, 'What's the worst that could happen?'

My anxiety is actually better when I'm in a social setting. It helps me escape from the shit that creeps up in my mind. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    You'd be amazed how many of us go into entertainment and have crippling stage fright, I'll never understand why we do it. For years, literally every time I walked on stage I wanted to pee my pants. For me hypnotherapy worked wonders on my stage fright and even more so on the horrific PTSD I suffered with. Love hypnotherapy, I highly recommend it.
    Fergie, is that you??

JUST KIDDING.

I could never get on stage, ever. The college speech class assignment to speak in front of the class while being videotaped just about did me in.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My anxiety is actually better when I'm in a social setting. It helps me escape from the shit that creeps up in my mind. Weird.
    That's interesting, I get what you're saying. I'm always my own worst enemy when left to my own devices.

Constance, this is for you!

ConstanceSpry likes this.

That's interesting, I get what you're saying. I'm always my own worst enemy when left to my own devices.

Constance, this is for you!

Thanks a bunch!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I have severe anxiety and my job is basically public speaking... daily. For whatever reason, I can deal with it just fine for work but for anything else? Nope.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Here's an article on how many actors have had it. I knew about Olivier, but not the others: From Michael Gambon to Stephen Fry which A-listers battled with the dreaded stage fright | Showbiz | News | Daily Express.

My daughter suffers from anxiety. She looks so calm and relaxed, but apparently is feeling incredibly tense and anxious inside.

I have social anxiety. So I drink a glass of wine and it goes away, ha ha. Not the greatest way to cope in social situations and not all of them involve alcohol. I attended a dry wedding reception once and i felt super awkward the entire time.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I have social anxiety cause of other stuff. To deal with it, I just don't leave the house much.

But that's awesome that she was able to create such a great career despite anxiety. I used to take acting lessons and loved them, but anxiety inhibited me too much (plus I wasn't any good, which never helps). My friend told me she even has a service dog, to help her deal with her anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I have social anxiety cause of other stuff. To deal with it, I just don't leave the house much.
    That's what I do, too. And I usually ask my partner to do phone calls whenever we need to book restaurants and stuff like that.
    I am very lucky when I am with him, because he is like a showman, so people interact with him and I can just disappear in a corner and watch.

Thread Information