Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cate Blanchett on whether she’s been intimate with women: ‘Yes, many times’

Default Cate Blanchett on whether she’s been intimate with women: ‘Yes, many times’

Women have to help women: “We have to push forward. What industry has parity pay for women? None. Why would we expect this industry to be any different?”

The dominance of men’s stories:
    “It’s not serving the audience. People want to see good films. We should have equal access to the multiplexes.”

The difficulty in making Carol:
    “It was so hard. Midrange films with women at the center are tricky to finance. There are a lot of people laboring under the misapprehension that people don’t want to see them, which isn’t true.”

Cate’s lesbian relationships:
    “On film — or in real life?” she asks coyly. Pressed for details about whether she’s had past relationships with women, she responds: “Yes. Many times,” but doesn’t elaborate. Like Carol, who never “comes out” as a lesbian, Blanchett doesn’t necessarily rely on labels for sexual orientation.

She’ll never join Twitter:
    “I think I’d end up in rehab. That stuff is addictive.”

People need to know too much:
    “We need to get into people’s private lives now. If they are hiding something, they are dishonest.”

Carol’s sex scenes:
    “It’s not ‘Blue Is the Warmest Color.’ That’s not the ambition of the film.”

Her craziest visit to Cannes, with Harrison Ford in 2008:
    “I’d never seen so many people. It was like Harrison was the pope.”

[From Variety]

Cele|bitchy | Cate Blanchett on whether she’s been intimate with women: ‘Yes, many times’

nwgirl, Air Quotes, Mrs P and 1 others like this.

^That sums it up.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Cate Blanchett Clarifies: 'Never Had Sexual Relations With a Woman'

Last week it looked like Cate Blanchett came out as bi-sexual, today is looks likeVariety might have been editing a bit too enthusiastically. During a press conference for her Cannes film Carol — a movie about a same-sex relationship based on the Patricia Highsmith novel —Blanchett was asked about the interview heard round the internet. During the interview, Blanchett reportedly said that she had had “many” relationships with women.

Blanchett indicated that Variety had edited the quote for dramatic effect.

Via The Guardian:
    “From memory, the conversation ran: ‘Have you had relationships with women?’ And I said: ‘Yes, many times. Do you mean have I had sexual relationships with women? Then the answer is no.’ But that obviously didn’t make it.”

To laughter from the crowd, Blanchett continued: “But in 2015, the point should be: who cares? Call me old fashioned but I thought one’s job as an actor was not to present one’s boring, small, microscopic universe but to make a psychological connection to another character’s experiences. My own life is of no interest to anyone else. Or maybe it is. But I certainly have no interest in putting my own thoughts and opinions out there.

Image via Getty.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Playing the misquoted lesbo card Cate??
    holly and Clubber Lang like this.

When I grow up I want to be Cate Blanchett.
    Heidi Ho likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

How old are you???

Old enough to know I'm never going to be Cate Blanchett.
    Heidi Ho likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ha to be fair with a name like LindsayWhit you are probably more inclined to become a crackhead.

Goddammit.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Cate Blanchett Clarifies: 'Never Had Sexual Relations With a Woman'

Last week it looked like Cate Blanchett came out as bi-sexual, today is looks likeVariety might have been editing a bit too enthusiastically. During a press conference for her Cannes film Carol — a movie about a same-sex relationship based on the Patricia Highsmith novel —Blanchett was asked about the interview heard round the internet. During the interview, Blanchett reportedly said that she had had “many” relationships with women.

Blanchett indicated that Variety had edited the quote for dramatic effect.

Via The Guardian:
    “From memory, the conversation ran: ‘Have you had relationships with women?’ And I said: ‘Yes, many times. Do you mean have I had sexual relationships with women? Then the answer is no.’ But that obviously didn’t make it.”

To laughter from the crowd, Blanchett continued: “But in 2015, the point should be: who cares? Call me old fashioned but I thought one’s job as an actor was not to present one’s boring, small, microscopic universe but to make a psychological connection to another character’s experiences. My own life is of no interest to anyone else. Or maybe it is. But I certainly have no interest in putting my own thoughts and opinions out there.

Image via Getty.

I loved her response. It was perfect. It really only threw some shade on the journalist without making any negative comments about lesbian relationships.
    Lalasnake likes this.

Elite Member

This is weak. Why does she think we're all so stupid? And anyway, who cares if she's been with women? What journalist would be asking the question, "Have you had relationships with women?" if they didn't mean a sexual relationship? Of course she's had relationships with women, everyone in the world has had a relationship with women. If you were born you've had a relationship with a woman. Personally, I'm just really irritated that she backtracked, it makes it appear that she's ashamed when there's no reason to be. Smh.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Why are you so sure she backtracked? Just because it's in print, doesn't make it true. She clarified her quote. Why can't we take that at face value? She doesn't seem like the type who would get bent out of shape over same sex relationships.

Elite Member

^ You're right, it could've been the journalist misquoting her. It just seems like something that would be difficult to misunderstand, "Have you had relationships with women?" I dunno, just seems fishy to me imo.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information