Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Mariah Carey cancels Las Vegas concert after only a week

Default Mariah Carey cancels Las Vegas concert after only a week

Mariah Carey cancels Las Vegas concert after only a week into her residency... as she claims to have bronchitis

13 May 2015

She just began her residency at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas just a week ago.

But Mariah Carey has already cancelled last minute her scheduled performance on Wednesday night leaving many fans upset on Twitter.

Caesars posted a sign apologizing for the late cancellation but with no explanation for why the 45-year-old was a no-show.

Taken ill: Mariah Carey has already cancelled last minute her scheduled performance on Wednesday at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas

The star, however, tweeted late on Wednesday night the reason for her absence: 'Hey guys.. I've been fighting bronchitis for the past few days.. almost better but on mandatory vocal rest per doctor's orders.'

Adding: 'I'm so sorry to cancel tonight's show but I promise to make it up to you!!! Love you always, MC'.

While some fans were angered the overwhelming majority on social media were supportive of the pop diva.

Struggling: The Vegas residency has suffered from poor sales

On January 15, Mariah announced her Vegas residency on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

'I have to hope that the fans will enjoy this cause I'm gonna be performing, which was kind of inspired by my album #1's, and this is now the updated version with 18 of them,' she said during the appearance.

Following in the footsteps of Britney Spears, Shania Twain and Reba McEntire, the hitmaker very temporarily filled in for famed Caesars headliner Celine Dion, who later announced she is reprising her residency show after taking care of her ailing husband.

To Mariah's disappointment, fans did not exactly rush to buy tickets when they went on sale in late January.

Poor ticket sales have left several of her upcoming concerts with empty seats and Mariah's shows are falling behind early sales projections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ronchitis.html

Did she ever tour heavily? I just have a hard time imagining she's mentally or physically capable of keeping up with the demands that come along with this type of show.
    rollo and holly like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

According to Wiki, nope she's never toured very much.

Year Title Duration Shows
    1993 Music Box Tour November 3 – December 10 1993 6
    1996 Daydream World Tour March 7 – June 23, 1996 7
    1998 Butterfly World Tour January 11 – February 21, 1998 12
    2000 Rainbow World Tour February 14 – April 18, 2000 19
    2003–04 Charmbracelet World Tour June 21, 2003 – February 26, 2004 69
    2006 The Adventures of Mimi July 22, 2006 – October 28, 2006 40
    2009–10 Angels Advocate Tour December 31, 2009 – February 27, 2010 23
    2013 Australian Tour (Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne)[1][2] January 1, 2013 – January 5, 2013 3
    2014 The Elusive Chanteuse Show October 4, 2014 – November 16, 2014 20
    List of Mariah Carey concert tours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe Mariah likes her booze, I mean bed, too much.
    BITTER, Mrs P and stef like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Why must all singers wear leotards these days. Does it improve their voice? Smh

I can't believe she only managed 12 dates for that Butterfly tour back in 98. That was at a time people would've still wanted to see her for more than a novelty and to see what kind of trainwrecky mess would show up to perform.
    Clubber Lang and Mrs P like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

The NY Times review for her Vegas show was brutal.
    llamamama likes this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Awesome, now I'm gonna have to look it up. I love scathing reviews.

LAS VEGAS — You watch the crash because you want to see how it will end: near miss or carnage, relief or horror, laughter or tears. Part of the appeal is the feeling of helplessness — you are a viewer, but not an agent. Whatever happens, you’ll be affected, but you can’t chart the course. And looking away is never the right choice.In the case of late-period Mariah Carey, it’s the high notes that you can’t avert your eyes — and ears — from. When she began her career in the early 1990s, she was capable of outrageous vocal feats, singing whole octaves higher than almost everyone else, stringing together dog-pitch bleats into ecstatic runs. She brought something superhuman into the otherwise grounded world of pop-soul.

But the notes have not been there for Ms. Carey of late: Some performances have been markedly off-base, the subject of intense scrutiny. Ms. Carey is still durable, and sometimes excellent, but her once-transcendent voice is like decaying manufacturing machinery: It still churns, but the product might be polished or dinged. You don’t know until it happens.

On Wednesday night, Ms. Carey performed for a largely difficult two hours at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace here, the first show in what’s to be a two-year residency totaling more than 50 concerts. That she’s embarking upon something like this is already a sign of defeat: The show consists of her 18 No. 1 Billboard hits, and the last of those came in 2008. (There’s a new song, too, called “Infinity” — it won’t be No. 19.) [ Meow]

But Ms. Carey, 45, has long had a taste for the outsized and gauche, and Vegas, with its grandeur and glitz, seemed like just the place to find redemption. Her portrait, airbrushed and glamorous, graces the covers of Las Vegas and Vegas Player magazines, which are laid out on coffee tables in hotel rooms across town. Last month, at the rollout event for her residency, she arrived in a pink 1936 convertible trailed by 18 billboard trucks bearing the names of each of the hits she would be performing. Maybe the new performance spectacle could resurrect the old vocal spectacle.

When it came to the notes, though, the struggle was real. From the beginning of the night, she was tentative and inconsistent. She sang parts of several songs an octave lower than the recordings. Often she appeared to be holding back, as if to build up to a big moment, only to shy away from it. As she’s aged, her voice has gotten huskier, but sometimes the rasp felt like a glitch, not a goal.

On power ballads like “I Don’t Wanna Cry” and “Love Takes Time,” she vacillated between hitting big notes and whiffing. The same happened on her Jackson 5 cover “I’ll Be There,” sung with her longtime backup singer Trey Lorenz. They famously performed a blistering version of this song on “MTV Unplugged” in 1992, but here Mr. Lorenz appeared to be restraining himself so as not to overpower the boss.

On faster songs, like “Dreamlover,” “Honey” and “Fantasy,” Ms. Carey was practically tiptoeing. “Fantasy” featured Ol’ Dirty Bastard, who died in 2004, rapping via video, and he felt more alive than Ms. Carey, who was right there onstage.

None of this changes the fact that, somewhere in there, Ms. Carey has one of the greatest pop voices of the last three decades. In the first half of the 1990s, she was unstoppable; in the second half, very close to that. She had at least one No. 1 song each year of that decade.

Las Vegas has become a safe haven for setting stars, from Celine to Shania to Britney: Ms. Carey’s arrival here was practically inscribed in stone. And yet, in the relatively fallow period since she last topped the charts, she’s made some strong music, especially on “Me. I Am Mariah ... The Elusive Chanteuse” (Def Jam), from last year. Carey has a new record deal, with Epic, and a hits collection, “#1 to Infinity,” due this month.)

But there’s no room for that in this show. Performing her No. 1s in chronological order is a convenient conceit, but not one best suited to Ms. Carey’s catalog, or her vocal gift. She seemed to be holding back on up-tempo songs so as to have something to give on slower ones with fewer places to hide. Hits like the elegant “Can’t Let Go” and the breezy “Shake It Off” didn’t make the cut.

All in all, this show displayed a minimum of imagination and effort, from the song order — although she did rally near the end, on “We Belong Together” and “Don’t Forget About Us” — to the strategically lethargic band to the constant reminders of the things Ms. Carey wasn’t doing. During his introduction, the show’s director, Ken Ehrlich, ran down a list of behind-the-scenes people — “Mariah’s asked me to thank them for her” — and it was Mr. Lorenz’s task to introduce the dancers and band members. Even Ms. Carey’s movements were kept to a minimum. Several times, she was wheeled out on stage — singing in a pink convertible, singing on a Jet Ski, singing on a round bed.

She stood the most still when she was aiming the highest: not for the run-of-the-mill big notes, but the stratospheric ones that made her untouchable 25 years ago. She has a routine. Before she sings them, she pauses for a bit, puts her hand to her eardrum, then points to the sky as the laserlike shrieks come out. []

All those gestures were there during this show — at the end of “Emotions,” and on “Heartbreaker” and on “I’ll Be There.” But as the night wore on, it became increasingly unclear whether the sounds coming through the speakers were coming from her mouth. They were crisp and clean, while many of her lesser notes were gruff and unsteady. It’s possible she shines most at the highest difficulty level, but it’s more probable that to fail at those places would have been too great a tragedy to bear.

And so went this show, which was far more about defense than offense. Whether the decision to undertake this project was born of necessity, hubris or obliviousness, it has put Ms. Carey in a precarious position — she is in decline and trapped in a cage of her own making. It would be so much easier to turn away if the spotlight weren’t so bright.

Correction: May 7, 2015

An earlier version of this review misstated the year of Mariah Carey’s most recent No. 1 Billboard hit. It was 2008, not 2007.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; May 14th, 2015 at 05:05 PM.
    NickiDrea, BITTER, nwgirl and 1 others like this.

Here ya go -

Review: Mariah Carey and Her Can’t-Look-Away Debut in Las Vegas

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/ar...las-vegas.html

I'm shocked this whole Vegas thing went through after I heard how she sounded on New Years Eve with the mic off. This review just confirms that. She probably blamed NYE on her divorce. Her voice is shot.

Sounds like she bit off more than she could chew. I don't understand why some do this Vegas thing anyway (in Mimi's case...the divorce?) I'd take my millions and go off to live my life in peace somewhere, if possible.
    Drive-by poster

I don't know, I want to think she--or anyone--can do vocal training to improve their voice. And she would of course think that's beneath her, ensconced as she is in her delusional diva persona. If Aretha can still bring it, why can't she? They both had very talented voices.

I think she has a bout of Lazytitis, same condition suffered by Leman, Lohan,...

I agree, and in that case I am happy to point and laugh at her because she brought it on herself.

What a waste of talent.

Mariah has always had some very lazy vocal habits. Her first album is okay, but singers are more than just having range. She used her ability to trill up and down the octaves as more of a party trick than an instrument. Her phrasing, breathing, enunciation, emotion and ability to actually hold the notes have been shit for the past 15 or so years.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information