Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: American Idol's 15th Season Will Be Its Last

Default American Idol's 15th Season Will Be Its Last

Fox is pulling the plug on “American Idol.”
    The network said next season will be the 15th and final for the talent show, which at its peak was the most dominant program on television and ushered in a new era of competition shows that changed the TV landscape. But the audience for the program, hosted by Ryan Seacrest, has been waning in recent years and high-profile sponsors started to lose interest.
    The decision to cancel “American Idol” is part of a slew of programming changes in the works at the network, which is coming off one of its most disappointing seasons ever. The network is in fourth place in both total viewers and the coveted 18-49 age demographic. Fox said it will launch nine new shows in the 2015-16 television season as it bets on big names. Among the stars in Fox’s new comedies and dramas are Rob Lowe, John Stamos and Fred Savage. Fox will unveil its new schedule to advertisers Monday afternoon.
    Ryan Seacrest on AMERICAN IDOL XIV airing Wednesday, April 22.Michael Becker/Fox
    Launched in June 2002 as a summer throwaway show, “American Idol” was an instant smash and made a household name out of Simon Cowell, the British judge whose caustic critiques of the wannabe singers and snarky cracks aimed at host Mr. Seacrest and fellow judge Paula Abdul were hallmarks of the show.
    Based on a similar British show called “Pop Idol” (that Mr. Cowell also starred in), Fox gambled on its own version after heavy coaxing from television executive Elisabeth Murdoch, the daughter of 21st Century Fox Inc.FOXA +0.03% Chairman Rupert Murdoch.
    Many “American Idol” contestant went on to become huge stars, including Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson. At its peak in 2006, “American Idol” averaged 30 million viewers and was labelled “the death star” by rival networks because it obliterated every show in its path. Fox had multiple hours of “American Idol” on its schedule, and the show’s huge popularity was able to mask other weaknesses on the network’s lineup.
    “American Idol” also became a cash cow for Fox. Advertisers including Coca-Cola KO +0.69%, Ford and AT&T T +0.95% shelled out tens of millions of dollars to be associated with the program during its long run. But even sponsors like AT&T and Coke started dropping their support in recent years.
    Over the last several years, the popularity of “American Idol” began to wane. Mr. Cowell left the show in 2010 for a different talent show called “The X Factor” and his replacement, talk show host Ellen DeGeneres lasted only one season. Since then, the show has gone through several iterations of judges hoping to find the magic that was Mr. Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson. Some, including singers Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj, were costly disappointments.
    New competition also took a bite out of “American Idol’s” audience. NBC’s “The Voice” has emerged as a powerful alternative and the network’s summer show “America’s Got Talent” has also developed a following.
    This season, “American Idol” has struggled to hit 10 million viewers. The declining audience coupled with the high cost of judges Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr. and Keith Urban, as well as Mr. Seacrest, likely helped seal its fate.
    Fox said “American Idol’s” final season will premiere in January and will be a “season-long celebratory event.”

Besides ending “American Idol,” the biggest news on Fox’s schedule is that “Empire,” the urban drama that became a big hit when it premiered in January, will be on the fall schedule. While there was never a doubt that “Empire” would be back, there was debate over whether it should again come on in mid-season or be in the fall lineup. Ultimately, Fox decided it needed the promotional platform of “Empire” to help hype its other shows and bring eyeballs to the network.
    Among Fox’s new shows are “Minority Report,” a sci-fil thriller based on the Steven Spielberg movie. Mr. Spielberg is also on board to executive produce the series. Ryan Murphy, the creator of Fox’s “Glee” and FX’s “American Horror Story” is also on the schedule with “Scream Queens,” a comedy-horror series. Rob Lowe is starring in a quirky legal drama called “The Grinder” and John Stamos of “Full House” fame is starring in “Grandfathered,” about a swinging bachelor who discovers he is both a father and a grandfather.
    Fox is also bringing back its 1990s hit “The X-Files” as a six-episode event series. The move is similar to one Fox did last year with “24,” the Keifer Sutherland anti-terrorism action show.
    Besides “Empire,” the only new shows from this season that Fox is bringing back are “Gotham,” its dark take on “Batman,” and the comedy “The Last Man on Earth.”
    The new schedule is the first from Dana Walden and Gary Newman, who last year were promoted from heads of the 20th Century Fox Television Studio to chairmen and chief executives of the Fox Television Group, which includes oversight of the network. The Wall Street Journal and Fox’s parent company, 21st Century Fox, were part of the same company until mid-2013.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Hi BITTER

What i find so fascinating about these talent competition shows, is that most often, the runners up or earlier eliminated contestants, do better with their careers than the actual winner does.

Just not a fan of reality shows, i'm afraid... but can absolutely understand the 'trainwreck' effect of their popularity.. (if that makes sense?).
    BITTER likes this.

At least with AI the contestants did have a tangible talent. Not like Big Brother or the Real Housewives franchise, where they don't do jack. But AI had pretty much run its course. And The Voice is better IMO.

Good.
    darksithbunny and Laurent like this.

Elite Member

When was the last time that show was watchable? It got really bad. Most of the winners at one point just seemed to be guys that made teens girls get wet and had nothing to do with talent. While the real talented people didn't win.

I'd be happy to see them all gone.
    Trixie, ManxMouse, Syd and 5 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I really haven't watched AI since the year David Cook won. I semi-watch The Voice but it's more about the judges than the contestants. And it's just not interesting enough to devote 3 hours a week.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Poor Ryan Seacrest. I hope he gets a job lined up .

Y'all know I'm being sarcastic. This bi**h makes more money farting than I have in the past 40 years.

About time. It jumped the shark long ago.
    Lily Bleu likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Silver Member

Yeah, about time. We haven't bothered with it since Jennifer Hudson Nd it was sporadic even then.

Good. That show's been over for years. It's had so many different judges and it's long since lost what made it even remotely watchable. And for Gods sake enough Ryan Seacrest.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Whatevs. I haven't watched a single episode in like 10 or 11 years.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Didn't know it was still on. LOL
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

For most, it died a long time ago.
    joebob, lindsaywhit and Lalasnake like this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Elite Member

Honestly, how many really exceptional talents came from this how? I don't mean how many were successful. But how many were really talented? Not just someone that had a decent voice.

I can only remember watching a few seasons fully through. But I think that Haley Reinhart was probably the most talented person I saw on the show as a whole.
    arie_skop likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information