Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: John Travolta: Read a Book (Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, $16.07)

Default John Travolta: Read a Book (Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, $16.07)

John Travolta: Read a Book (Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, $16.07)

The real problem with Scientology, second-most famous Scientologist John Travolta argues, is that people haven’t actively tried to educate themselves about the major issues concerning the religion.

When asked about the controversies surrounding Scientology—the religion for which he is an endorsing spokesman, the religion which has been accused of years of harassment, abuse and torture—Travolta suggested detractors just don’t understand enough about thetans and e-meters.

“You can read ‘A New Slant on Life.’ You can read ‘Dianetics,’” Travolta told ABC’s Amy Robach Monday. “I think if you really read it, you understand it. But unless you do, you’ll speculate — and I think that’s a mistake to do that.”

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ok John. What about the ex members who come out and describe what goes on in Scientology? Are they speculating? Just shut it.
    holly, Lalasnake, Mrs P and 2 others like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

His hair hat is pretty good here. Much better than the bizarre black GI Joe thing he's been sporting for years.
    Bluebonnet, holly, Mrs P and 1 others like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Soooooo, a Science Fiction religion written by a Science Fiction writer is gonna make sense to me? Um. Ok. This and the Book of Mormon is giving the Bible a run for it's money in complete lunacy.

IMHO
    joebob, Witchywoman and Mrs P like this.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

I read Operation Clambake instead. It's free, and although I haven't read anything penned by Hubbard, I feel confident it is more informative, entertaining and makes a lot more sense than Dianetics.
    Kittylady, holly, PecanPie and 2 others like this.

Years ago there were commercials on all the time on late night TV promoting Dianetics. There was nothing in the commercials to indicate it was about religion and they had celebrity promoters - I remember a football player. I bought the book because I was studying psychiatry and was curious of how they "changed lives" and freed people from the negatives locked in their minds. Book was crazy. I did not make it past the second chapter.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Years ago there were commercials on all the time on late night TV promoting Dianetics. There was nothing in the commercials to indicate it was about religion and they had celebrity promoters - I remember a football player. I bought the book because I was studying psychiatry and was curious of how they "changed lives" and freed people from the negatives locked in their minds. Book was crazy. I did not make it past the second chapter.
    I remember them, too. I could have sworn the tagline for the commercial was "the science of modern living".

It's not as much fun watching Travolta defend Scientology. He is way more measured than Cruise, who is like a loose cannon.

I say let Tom be a loose canon. It's funny as hell.
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I remember those commercials. I bought the book back then because it was marketed as a self-help kinda thing. At the time, I was all into that. It was completely unreadable gobbledygook. It made no sense whatsoever and I don't think I read any more than a couple of pages. I remember being very disappointed.

I remember seeing those commercials when I was a kid, but they were different than the above 1988 version. The one I remember asked questions about why you did everyday things ... I distinctly remember them asking why do you close the bathroom door when using the bathroom even if no one was home. And as a kid, I was curious, why DID I close the bathroom door when I was home alone (I was a latchkey kid). But not curious enough to ask my parents to buy me the book. I do remember my mother having Dianetics on her nightstand when I was a bit older, but by then, I was no longer curious. Even then I thought it sounded stupid.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I remember seeing those commercials when I was a kid, but they were different than the above 1988 version. The one I remember asked questions about why you did everyday things ... I distinctly remember them asking why do you close the bathroom door when using the bathroom even if no one was home. And as a kid, I was curious, why DID I close the bathroom door when I was home alone (I was a latchkey kid). But not curious enough to ask my parents to buy me the book. I do remember my mother having Dianetics on her nightstand when I was a bit older, but by then, I was no longer curious. Even then I thought it sounded stupid.
    I never close the bathromm door when I'm home alone. Does that mean, I'm ready for OT3?

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    I never close the bathromm door when I'm home alone. Does that mean, I'm ready for OT3?
    Sure. Just fork over $200 000 and you can skip right ahead.
    idunno, spinmonkey, Nevan and 1 others like this.

My best friend bought and read it back then. He actually talked about it a lot. Mostly about ingrained behaviors. But since he did not somehow become a $cibot, I wonder if the book doesn't point people in that direction. He would have been ripe for the picking back then.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I can suggest ‘Going Clear’, by Lawrence Wright.
    It tells very well about how Hubbard was a con artist, and about the atrocities committed by the "Church".
    BootsyCJr likes this.

$cibots always use this tack. "You can't have an opinion about my religion until you read Hubbard's nonsense and undergo auditing!" I don't need to eat shit to know that it tastes bad.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information