Thread: R.I.P. Jonathan Crombie from Anne of Green Gables

Bronze Member

Default R.I.P. Jonathan Crombie from Anne of Green Gables

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/jona...t-48-1.3038948
    go backNews Arts & Entertainment
    ADVERTISEMENT

i
    Jonathan Crombie, Anne of Green Gables actor, dead at 48
    Actor best known for playing Gilbert Blythe in TV movies, also played lead in Drowsy Chaperon in 2008
    UPDATED2:27 PM ET
    CBC News
    media duration: 2:48play video
    Canadian actor Jonathan Crombie dead at 48
    VIDEO
    Jonathan Crombie, who played Gilbert Blythe in the Anne of Green Gables movies, has died at the age of 48, CBC News has learned.

He was also the son of David Crombie, who was mayor of Toronto from 1972 to 1978 and served as a federal Progressive Conservative cabinet minister in the 1980s.

The actor's sister, Carrie Crombie, told CBC News on Saturday that her brother suffered a brain hemorrhage and died in New York City on April 15.

"We've been going through lots of stories the last couple days," she said.

"He was funny, he was sweet, he loved acting, he loved comedy and singing and dancing. As a little kid, he just loved Broadway shows and all of that kind of stuff and would sing and dance in the living room."

Answered to the name Gil

Jonathan Crombie will be best remembered for his role in the CBC TV movie Anne of Green Gables in 1984 and its two sequels in 1987 and 2000.

Carrie Crombie said her brother never shied away from the fame that came along with playing the role of Gilbert Blythe, and happily answered to the name Gil when recognized by fans on the street.

'I think he was really proud of being Gilbert Blythe...he really enjoyed that series and was happy, very proud of it.'- Carrie Crombie
    "I think he was really proud of being Gilbert Blythe and was happy to answer any questions...he really enjoyed that series and was happy, very proud of it — we all were," she said.

"[But] I think his proudest part was when he played the lead in Drowsy Chaperone on Broadway. That was just an amazing thing for him to be able to do."

Anne of Green Gables producer Kevin Sullivan said dozens of actors, including Jason Priestley, tried out for the role of Gilbert Blythe but none captured the sprit of the character.

Casting director Diane Polley, Sarah Polley's mother, eventually discovered the then-17-year-old Crombie while he was acting in a high school play.

"She said, 'Trust me. He's it," Sullivan said. "We never screen-tested him. We met him and he was cast. It was a perfect storm ... It just all worked perfectly."

Answered every fan letter

Sullivan said Crombie and the on-screen character he came to embody were actually pretty similar.

'Jonathan was as generous, as kind, as sensitive and as ambitious, in some ways, as the character he came to be identified with.'— Kevin Sullivan, producer
    "I think for legions of young women around the world who fell in love with the Anne of Green Gables films, Jonathan literally represented the quintessential boy next door, and there were literally thousands of women who wrote to him over the years who saw him as a perfect mate," Sullivan said.

"I think there will be hundreds of people who will be floored that this has happened. It's such a devastating tragedy. In reality, Jonathan was as generous, as kind, as sensitive and as ambitious, in some ways, as the character he came to be identified with."

Sullivan said Crombie and Megan Follows, the actress who played Anne Shirley in the movies, had a special relationship off screen.

"Megan was more of a seasoned professional, in some ways, than Jonathan was," he said.

"He was kind of a newbie and I just remember that they were able to ground each other extremely well and the relationship that they had was one of great affection ... they were both very generous with each other and both really made those performances vivid and real."

'Kinda quirky'

Jonathan Crombie also performed with a sketch comedy troupe featured in the Canadian TV series Comedy Now! in 1998. Carrie Crombie said her brother was incredibly passionate about improv and sketch comedy.

"John was funny. He was kinda quirky in some ways," she said.

"Like he would only take the bus back and forth from Toronto to New York. And, to be honest, that's how we are going to be bringing him back. We felt that it was an ode to Jonathan. He would never go on a plane, so we're going to make the trek from New York to Toronto on a bus with his ashes."

Crombie said her brother just didn't feel it necessary to spend the money required to make the journey by plane.

"He always seemed to attract interesting people on buses. He always had great stories about characters on buses, so we always had fun listening to his impersonations."

Carrie Crombie said she didn't think her brother had any major health issues, and was committed to staying healthy. She said his organs have been donated, which is something he would have been proud of.

She said a "huge, wonderful celebration of life" will be held in his honour some time in the coming weeks.

Aw, I was so in love with Anne growing up. Richard Farnsworth stole my heart as Matthew in this adaptation. This poor man, he was so young.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 18th, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
    politesse, Lalasnake and Fran like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This makes me so sad I loved the Anne movies with him and the rest of the great cast.

Love those movies and the books. I always thought she should have married the other guy, though, heh.
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I loved watching these movies growing up with my mom.

I bought her the boxed set awhile back for her birthday. She'll be saddened to hear this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I loved these movies. So sad to read that 'Gil' has passed away.

I loved the Anne movies and all the books. I think I read the first 3 books about 20 times each. Gil was the best guy. Sad

I read all the books and watched the Anne Of Green Gables movies with his co-star, Megan Follows. *sigh* RIP Jonathan Crombie. Anne and Gil(bert) forever!

Rock the fuck on!

No. So sad. He was way too young. I am a die hard AOGG fan. I loved his character. He played Gilbert perfectly.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

*sniff* I re-watched this clip and I cried!

Rock the fuck on!

Nnnnnoooooooooo! Not Gilbert Blythe! I adored the anne of green gables books and the movies and he captured the character perfectly. And my 10 year old self thought he was so dreamy. Actually I still do.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Wow, just re-watching some of the clips, Megan Follows was terrible. She's so over-dramatic, I'm surprised they couldn't get her to tone it down a little. Plus her hair is terrible, couldn't they have cast a natural redhead for the role?

Jonathan a natural actor, he got into the part with extreme vulnerability and flexibility.

He will be missed.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandknight View Post
    Wow, just re-watching some of the clips, Megan Follows was terrible. She's so over-dramatic, I'm surprised they couldn't get her to tone it down a little. Plus her hair is terrible, couldn't they have cast a natural redhead for the role?

Jonathan a natural actor, he got into the part with extreme vulnerability and flexibility.

He will be missed.

Interesting that Schluyer Grant auditioned for the part of Anne and there's a pic of her posted from the audition -

"Actress Schuyler Grant, who played Diana, was originally recommended to Kevin Sullivan for the role of Anne by her Great-Aunt Katharine Hepburn – one of America’s most famous leading ladies."

Diana Auditions as Anne - Anne of Green Gables
    Lalasnake likes this.

I loved Megan Follows. My only complaint was that she was a bit short for Anne. In one scene, Marilla says :'You're so tall and stylish now." Not sure how she delivered that line without laughing as she looked down on tiny Megan. Gil was charming and often spoke haltingly then-all-in-a-rush, so typical of an adolescent boy. Oh how I adore the books in this series and the movie version of AOGG and AOA, but that movie they made as a sequel when Gil went to war and Anne chased him (and another man, sort of) sucked balls.
    I retain my title as queen of the run-on sentence.
    dolem, witchcurlgirl and sputnik like this.

Thread Information