• 4 Post By Annika
  • 3 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 3 Post By gas_chick
  • 3 Post By Tiny Pixie
  • 2 Post By Charmed Hour

Thread: Jemima Kirke Talks About Her Abortion

Default Jemima Kirke Talks About Her Abortion

She couldn't afford the extra cost

Girls actress Jemima Kirke is opening up about an abortion she got during college.
    In a new PSA for the Center for Reproductive Rights, Kirke says she became pregnant with her boyfriend’s child while at college in Providence, R.I. “My life was just not conducive to raising a healthy, happy child,” she says. “I just didn’t feel it was fair.”

Even though her family is well off (her father is former Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke, and her mother is fashion designer Lorraine Kirke), she didn’t want to tell her parents about the pregnancy, so she had to pay for the abortion herself. She scraped together the money with her boyfriend, but they didn’t have enough for anesthesia, so she got the abortion without it. “The anesthesia wasn’t that much more, but when you’re scrounging for however many hundreds of dollars, it is a lot. I just didn’t have it.”

Kirke presents her story as an example of the various obstacles that are put in women’s way when it comes to making reproductive choices. “We think we do have free choice, and we are able to do whatever we want, but then there are these little hoops we have to jump through to get them,” she says.

The actress and painter said she talks about her story in order to reduce the stigma surrounding reproductive choices, and because she wants to protect reproductive rights for her two young daughters. “I would love if when they’re older, and they’re in their teens or their 20s, if the political issues surrounding their bodies were not there anymore,” she said, adding that settling the debate about reproductive rights would give them “one less thing to battle.”

http://time.com/3821396/jemima-kirke-anesthesia-abortion-video/

Condoms break, or there is human error involved, birth control pills are forgotten or thrown up, hormones or stress makes your schedule "off" if you choose a pull out/abtain while fertile method, LIFE happens. I am not ready/don't want to be a parent right now. Got drunk, didn't know, maybe I got raped, Plan B decided too late, it is MY body. Mine. All I have to say. Maybe I am a worthless piece of shit to some for being a lesser human for not being chaste and pure, but know what? Don't fucking care if that is thought.

I guess I am ignorant and thought anesthesia would be an automatic inclusion. I had no idea it was an additional cost. Seems barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

She couldn't afford the extra cost

Girls actress Jemima Kirke is opening up about an abortion she got during college.
    In a new PSA for the Center for Reproductive Rights, Kirke says she became pregnant with her boyfriend’s child while at college in Providence, R.I. “My life was just not conducive to raising a healthy, happy child,” she says. “I just didn’t feel it was fair.”

Even though her family is well off (her father is former Bad Company drummer Simon Kirke, and her mother is fashion designer Lorraine Kirke), she didn’t want to tell her parents about the pregnancy, so she had to pay for the abortion herself. She scraped together the money with her boyfriend, but they didn’t have enough for anesthesia, so she got the abortion without it. “The anesthesia wasn’t that much more, but when you’re scrounging for however many hundreds of dollars, it is a lot. I just didn’t have it.”

Kirke presents her story as an example of the various obstacles that are put in women’s way when it comes to making reproductive choices. “We think we do have free choice, and we are able to do whatever we want, but then there are these little hoops we have to jump through to get them,” she says.

The actress and painter said she talks about her story in order to reduce the stigma surrounding reproductive choices, and because she wants to protect reproductive rights for her two young daughters. “I would love if when they’re older, and they’re in their teens or their 20s, if the political issues surrounding their bodies were not there anymore,” she said, adding that settling the debate about reproductive rights would give them “one less thing to battle.”

http://time.com/3821396/jemima-kirke-anesthesia-abortion-video/
    Briar Rose, Alysheba and Lalasnake like this.

abortions should be affordable for everyone. i hope they will give a woman one for free if she can't afford it. that just seems ridiculous if they don't.

I'm glad she spoke out.
    Briar Rose, Honey and Lalasnake like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Sometimes the hoops aren't so little to have to jump through. She was actually lucky not to be in a southern state and trying to get an abortion. Good for her for speaking out.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

You would think that only in 3rd world countries is anesthesia not included with the abortion ... I'm lost for words.
    That's brave to speak so honestly about her abortion, but I wish we were living in a world where she wouldn't have had to do that because what you decide to do with your body shouldn't be anybody else's business but yours.
    Honey, Lalasnake and Briar Rose like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    You would think that only in 3rd world countries is anesthesia not included with the abortion ... I'm lost for words.
    That's brave to speak so honestly about her abortion, but I wish we were living in a world where she wouldn't have had to do that because what you decide to do with your body shouldn't be anybody else's business but yours.
    I don't think she didn't have any pain medication during her procedure- that's standard. I think by "no anesthesia" she meant she wasn't under general where she'd be asleep.

ETA: I've had 2 d&cs in the past, once with local anesthesia and once with general. Neither way is pleasant, there's pain after with both. The difference is being awake during a medical procedure like that is pretty horrifying imo.
    Lalasnake and Briar Rose like this.

Thread Information