Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Rita Wilson Has Breast Cancer, Undergoes Double Mastectomy and Reconstructive Surgery

Default Rita Wilson Has Breast Cancer, Undergoes Double Mastectomy and Reconstructive Surgery

Rita Wilson

Rita Wilson is sharing some difficult and very personal news: she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has undergone a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

In an exclusive statement to PEOPLE, the actress, 58, reveals the diagnosis and how she feels "blessed" to have the love and support of her husband, Tom Hanks, friends, family and the doctors who saved her life.

"I have taken a leave from the play Fish in the Dark to deal with a personal health issue," reveals Wilson, who will return to the Broadway play on May 5. "Last week, with my husband by my side, and with the love and support of family and friends, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction for breast cancer after a diagnosis of invasive lobular carcinoma. I am recovering and most importantly, expected to make a full recovery. Why? Because I caught this early, have excellent doctors and because I got a second opinion.

"I have had an underlying condition of LCIS, (lobular carcinoma in situ) which has been vigilantly monitored through yearly mammograms and breast MRIs. Recently, after two surgical breast biopsies, PLCIS (pleomorphic carcinoma in situ) was discovered. I mention this because there is much unknown about PLCIS and it is often found alongside DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). I was relieved when the pathology showed no cancer.

"However, a friend who had had breast cancer suggested I get a second opinion on my pathology and my gut told me that was the thing to do. A different pathologist found invasive lobular carcinoma. His diagnosis of cancer was confirmed by, yet, another pathologist. I share this to educate others that a second opinion is critical to your health. You have nothing to lose if both opinions match up for the good, and everything to gain if something that was missed is found, which does happen. Early diagnosis is key.

"I feel blessed to have a loving, supportive husband, family, friends and doctors and that I am the beneficiary of advances in the field of breast cancer and reconstruction. I am getting better every day and look forward to renewed health.

"I hope this will encourage others to get a second opinion and to trust their instincts if something doesn't 'feel' right."

For more information, please go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation website at BCRFcure.com.

Source: Rita Wilson Breast Cancer: Actress Undergoes Double Mastectomy, Reconstruction : People.com
    Brookie likes this.

I agree. If you think there is something wrong, there probably is. Get checked! Wishing her all the best in her recovery.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I HATE these stories. How the hell do they get the first diagnosis wrong. It's time for my mammo now, my most dreaded time of the year.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

I just had my mammo last month. I have dense breast tissue, so there is an ongoing discussion about whether or not I need to do another test, like an MRI or an ultrasound. My doctor doesn't think it's necessary, based on the results, but it's something I may do anyway. Since lumpy, dense breast tissue can hide cancers.

Kris-do we all have dense tissue or do they just say that so if they miss something they can't be sued? I ask because I had a few and then last year I got a letter saying I had dense tissue and they might miss something and so did my coworker. So did my tissue get dense all of the sudden? I just don't get it.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Kris-do we all have dense tissue or do they just say that so if they miss something they can't be sued? I ask because I had a few and then last year I got a letter saying I had dense tissue and they might miss something and so did my coworker. So did my tissue get dense all of the sudden? I just don't get it.
    I think there are quite a few of us that have dense breast tissue. The tech at the imaging center showed me the difference in dense breasts and fatty breasts. The dense tissue looks very different. I think some of it is definitely CYA (cover your ass).

Thanks Kris. I just thought it was odd that mine all of the sudden was "dense".

Breast tissue is denser in youth and becomes less so after 40.

I had my first and last mammo at 35 - false positive that was fortunately confirmed with an ultrasound. I'll never get back that wasted week of worry. I'm sorry I ever did it. I do thermographies now instead.
    Last edited by qwerty; April 14th, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

czb

have dense tissue as well, and i am 50+. self-exams reveal nothing for me. i do yearly mammos, followed up by ultrasounds.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I just had my mammo last month. I have dense breast tissue, so there is an ongoing discussion about whether or not I need to do another test, like an MRI or an ultrasound. My doctor doesn't think it's necessary, based on the results, but it's something I may do anyway. Since lumpy, dense breast tissue can hide cancers.
    I have dense breast tissue as well. I just go straight for the ultrasound and skip the mammo.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

My doctor said that what she's found mixed results with the ultrasound. Yes, she's found things that were cancer, but she's also found a lot of things that weren't and had a lot of biopsies on things that weren't cancer. Totally worth it if you're the one with cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    I HATE these stories. How the hell do they get the first diagnosis wrong. It's time for my mammo now, my most dreaded time of the year.

Happens more than you think. Happend to me, but with a DX of Pancreatitis that was missed. I went into my shit ER here in the desert with pain that felt like a heart attack. I had a CT, they said was normal, drugged me up and sent me home. 2 weeks later my Husband had to drag me back to the ER. I was in full blown Acute Pancreatitis and I was critical and already in heart failure. I was sent to a bigger hospital and that hospital requested the original CT from my desert ER. That shit was INCOMPLETE, a 2nd read on that wasn't even done. They then requested the actual films, and there it was plain as fucking day. I had every complication you can have with pancreatitis. I had 3 giant pseudocysts, they were so big that they were pushing my other organs out of place. I was on high doses of dilaudid every 3 hours for 24 hours for 2 1/2 months. I don't remember my first 2 weeks in the hospital and that was 2 1/2 months in my life I spent in the hospital, and at the time my son was only 5 and didn't understand why I wasn't home and would cry when he and my hubby would leave after visiting.

Come to find out that the Dr. that initially saw me was popped for writing himself rx's for Norcos and got his license yanked for awhile. He's no longer at out little ER anymore, but his mistake almost cost me my life. I just thank God for all the people that take care of me over at Loma Linda University.
    rollo, Linne, Palermo and 2 others like this.

czb

ooh, that sounds awful.

unfortunately health care can be spotty in remote locations.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My doctor advised to get ultrasounds instead of mammograms because of my dense breast tissue. He literally said "With breast tissue and breast shape like you have, it's even more unneccessary torture to have a mammogram." That was 13 years ago, what a relief.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

My mom was diagnosed with DCIS last January and had a mastectomy. That's really the best option for DCIS because it doesn't have lumps like traditional breast cancer.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information