Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Elite Member

Default Gwyneth Paltrow doing the food stamp challenge

Gwynnie has woved to live on $29 a week just like poor people. Should be interesting. I find her shopping a bit weird, no milk or meat of course, but one tomato and one sweet potato? And no fruit except for a bunch of limes - for the mojitos, maybe?
    Dlisted | Goopy Paltrow Is Doing The Food Stamps Challenge

Goopy Paltrow Is Doing The Food Stamps Challenge

April 9, 2015 / Posted by: Michael K

I know, too easy. TOO easy.
    Up until not too long ago, I’m guessing that Goopy Paltrow thought that “food stamps” was a type of artisanal stamp ink that a Dutch artisan made using organic heirloom purple dragon carrots grown with Arabian horse manure and imported iceberg water. But then her good friend and Spanish eatin’ tour partner Mario Batali told her what food stamps really are and told her about how he raises awareness of the struggles people on SNAP benefits (formerly known as food stamps) face while trying to feed a family on such little money.
    Mario Batali is on the Food Bank For New York City board and he’s fighting to keep congress from continuing to cut benefits. To help raise awareness, Mario asked New Yorkers and his fancy, privileged rich friends to do the #FoodBankNYCChallenge. Mario challenged them to feel the plight of the poor by only spending $29 per person (which is what people on SNAP get) a week on food. There’s rules for this challenge too. They can use coupons, but they can’t get food from others or use food they already have. Lord, fuck, you know some evil TV executive is looking at Mario’s challenge and thinking about how they’re going to pitch a reality show where a rich bitch and a poor person switch lives for a week. They’ll call it Class Swap and everybody will learn something from it, of course.
    Mario asked The Out Of Touch Club’s president Goopy Paltrow to do the #FoodBankNYCChallenge, because he knew the kind of attention that’d get. Goopy is doing it and today, she tweeted all the groceries she bought for only $29. Goopy is trying to be healthy and shit, but it’s pretty impossible to be healthy on a $29 a week budget (which I guess is her point).

Is that for a family of rabbits? Is it for an Olsen? I mean, kale?! Cilantro?! Where are the packages of Top Ramen? Where’s the chicken? Where’s the 5lb bag of rice from the Asian supermarket? And all those limes. I know she has a lime tree and if she doesn’t, she can make little Moses hop the wall over to the neighbor’s yard to steal their limes. But she should tell him to throw the limes over before the guard dog gets him.
    Well, I guess Goopy is going on one of her cleanses this week. She’s going to survive only on jalapeño and garlic elixirs and lime and kale enemas. The rest is for the purifying salsa face mask she’s going to make. I can’t wait for her new GOOP post about the SNAP cleanse.

Elite Member

Even on food stamps she's pretentious. WTF is with all the limes? I love lime, but is she going to juice one for every meal?

Second, isn't is $29 per person, not per family? You're not feeding 4 people on that.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Elite Member

^^ I would hope so. The pictured food from her tweet is supposed to be breakfast, lunch and dinner for 7 days. No way is the food in the picture going to last a week for 4 people. It would be interesting to know the calorie count and the fat/carb/protein distribution for the food she bought, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. I would also like to know what the individual items cost. I don't think Gwynnie shopped at Wal-Mart.

Looks like Safeway brand on the beans and rice.

It's what a poor Mexican family would eat. Beans, rice, tortillas (avocado, limes, onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno= guacamole). Peas and sweet potato as a side. Eggs for breakfast.

I don't know what to say about the romaine and kale because that's not a salad. I see no dressing or even oil & vinegar.

Sucks being poor. I don't think she's trying to get around that message.

But still, she *is* president of the Out of Touch Club, so yeah, this is still a laugh coming from her.

^^^^
    it is and it isn't. let's face it, the people making decisions about the food stamps programme are all making way too much money to ever be able to relate to it and are therefore also "out of touch". i think the whole point is to make people who otherwise have a very sketchy or incomplete idea of food stamps aware of what the reality of living on food stamps actually means.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Have food stamps changed a lot in the last 23 years? I can remember I didn't qualify when I had my daughter at 19 and let me tell you I wasn't making much at the time. I would see people using them that got a shit load more groceries than I did and while I was eating the cheapest meat possible they had steaks.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I'd like to stamp her! With my Doc Martens.
    msdeb, azoria, Mrs P and 4 others like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

ETA in response to gaschick.

I found this @
    http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index

• Its gross monthly income generally must be at or below 130 percent of the poverty line, or $2,144 (about $25,700 a year) for a three-person family in fiscal year 2015. Households with an elderly or disabled member need not meet this limit.
    • Its net monthly income, or income after deductions are applied for items such as high housing costs and child care, must be less than or equal to the poverty line (about $19,800 a year or $1,650 a month for a three-person family in fiscal year 2015).
    • Its assets must fall below certain limits: in fiscal year 2015 the limits are $2,250 for households without an elderly or disabled member and $3,250 for those with an elderly or disabled member.

Household
    Size
    Maximum
    Monthly Benefit,
    FY 2015
    Average
    monthly benefit,
    FY 2015
    1 $194 $144
    2 $357 $257
    3 $511 $378
    4 $649 $464
    5 $771 $546
    gas_chick likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

So she goes to the store and spends her $29, then comes home to her over-stocked pantry? Did she throw all the food in her house out before she went shopping? I admit. I skimmed the article
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Lord, fuck, you know some evil TV executive is looking at Mario’s challenge and thinking about how they’re going to pitch a reality show where a rich bitch and a poor person switch lives for a week. They’ll call it Class Swap and everybody will learn something from it, of course.
    Finally, a reality show I'd actually watch. But they have to really do it! I want to see the likes of Donald Trump or one of the Kartrashians try to subsist on that haul for a week.

Actually, Gwynnie's choices weren't that terrible. She'd be farting like a racehorse by the second day, though.
    idunno and ChemicalHelena like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by dksnj View Post
    So she goes to the store and spends her $29, then comes home to her over-stocked pantry? Did she throw all the food in her house out before she went shopping? I admit. I skimmed the article
    According to the rules of the food stamp challenge, you can't use food bought before you begin the challenge.
    I'm genuinely interested in the result of Goopy's challenge. Will she conclude that it's easy to live on food stamps (provided you can survive on 800 calories pr. day) or will she actually catch a glimpse of how regular people live? Time will tell.

For 29.00, I'd buy a bag of potatoes, a package of pasta or rice, a couple of cans of tomatoes, some dried beans, and a cheap staple veg like carrots. You can actually make quite a few decent meals with these items. I tend to prefer fairly simple meals, so I'd be quite happy this lot.
    Lily Bleu likes this.

czb

i'd add beans and/or lentils to that. they're not very expensive, and nutritionally dense.

eta: oh, aabbcc already had beans on her list. great minds and all of that.
    Lily Bleu likes this.

poverty tourism, it's trendy. Seriously, I think this is what passes, in her mind, as a sincere attempt at raising awareness, but when you consider the messenger, the point is totally, ridiculously lost. I mean, she touts luxury items on her "lifestyle website" and always comes off as having foot-in-mouth disease, albeit unwittingly.

You'd think she'd catch on by now that it always backfires spectacularly when she tries to relate to the plebes. Just. Stop.
    tulip, Trixie, Honey and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information