Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Richard Dysart 'L.A. Law' Star Dies from Cancer

Default Richard Dysart 'L.A. Law' Star Dies from Cancer

Richard Dysart Dead -- 'L.A. Law' Star Dies from Cancer at 86 | TMZ.com

Richard Dysart

'L.A. Law' Star

Dies from Cancer

Richard Dysart -- a veteran of stage and screen best known for his role on "L.A. Law" -- died Sunday after a long battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned. He was 86.

According to Dysart's daughter-in-law, he passed away at his home in Santa Monica. His wife tells us he'd been diagnosed with cancer a few years ago.

Dysart had a penchant for playing famous figures -- he portrayed Dwight D. Eisenhower (twice), J. Edgar Hoover (twice) and Harry Truman (twice). He also famously played the villain against Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider."

But he became a household name as Leland McKenzie on "L.A. Law," which ran from 1986-1994. He was nominated for four Emmys, winning once in 1992.
    Brookie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

he looks like my grandpop but he looks tanner. RIP
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I thought he had died 20 years ago, but now realize I had him confused with Ed Flanders of "St. Elsewhere".

I knew him in passing during the L.A. Law years. He was always very kind, and if he laughed out suddenly, it transformed his face.

Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    I knew him in passing during the L.A. Law years. He was always very kind, and if he laughed out suddenly, it transformed his face.
    I first knew him from the 1982 Thing remake with Kurt Russell. His death scene, and the scene in general, is one of the most horrifying things that was ever put on film at that point. See below, but NSFL:

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I thought he had died 20 years ago, but now realize I had him confused with Ed Flanders of "St. Elsewhere".
    I had the exact same response! LOL

I first knew him from the 1982 Thing remake with Kurt Russell. His death scene, and the scene in general, is one of the most horrifying things that was ever put on film at that point. See below, but NSFL:

I like the old special effects much better than all that CGI stuff.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    I like the old special effects much better than all that CGI stuff.
    Me, too. But I was pretty interested to find out that the 2011 remake (which I also like) used a LOT of non-CGI animatronic effects that were similar to Rob Bottin's. Bottin was in charge of special effects during the 1982 version and he was only 22 at the time. He had 40 people working under him. THAT is impressive.

Elite Member

Wasn't the John Carpenter's The Thing, an incredible film? .. i freaking loved it. .. Every single actor in the all male cast were brilliant.. (Kurt Russell looked like a wookiee, with his awesome beard).

Rob Bottin and his crew did an awesome job with all the affects.

It's odd though.. Rob became very angry about life (after the film) and was perceived as arrogant and difficult by his peers and hollywood. .. i always wonder what happened there?

The B&W original was very good too.

*Richard Dysart was a great actor, and was very charming. RIP Richard*.

I think the film is a masterpiece of its genre. I actually saw it in the theater the weekend it came out. I was too young to buy my own rated R ticket, so I bought a ticket for some other film and then sneaked into the theater (thank God multiplexes existed back then).

Ironically, when it came out, it was a commercial and critical flop. Critics were very, very turned off by the graphic effects - and so were a lot of people in the audience. Over time, though, the consensus has changed almost 180 degrees. It's rated as one of the all-time sci-fi movies.

Elite Member

I think the film is a masterpiece of its genre. I actually saw it in the theater the weekend it came out. I was too young to buy my own rated R ticket, so I bought a ticket for some other film and then sneaked into the theater (thank God multiplexes existed back then).

Ironically, when it came out, it was a commercial and critical flop. Critics were very, very turned off by the graphic effects - and so were a lot of people in the audience. Over time, though, the consensus has changed almost 180 degrees. It's rated as one of the all-time sci-fi movies.
    Yes .. thinking about that now.. i wonder if all the very harsh criticism about the film and affects is what changed Rob Bottin's view of the world (you can't blame him) he and his crew and John C & crew poured their hearts into the film, and to then have it completely torn to bits by critics, would be very soul destroying.

A few years ago i was able to get my hands on a little random book about the film, and an older dvd print of it which still had the 'behind the scenes' information leaflet inclosed with it (they are part of my prized possessions

It's such a groundbreaking film because of its effects, and also (mho) having an all male cast.

Awesome stuff.. John Carpenter made some incredible movies in the 1970' & 80's.

I loved LA Law. RIP!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by *Wookie-Chick* View Post
    Yes .. thinking about that now.. i wonder if all the very harsh criticism about the film and affects is what changed Rob Bottin's view of the world (you can't blame him) he and his crew and John C & crew poured their hearts into the film, and to then have it completely torn to bits by critics, would be very soul destroying.
    I'm looking at Bottin's work timeline in IMDB. He actually worked continuously and on a lot of different things after The Thing. So, I don't think that affected him. However, he has a BIG gap in his work, from what I can see, between 2002 and 2014. Dropped off the face of the Earth. And came back to work on Game of Thrones. I wonder if he took a break to raise kids or something.

Aw!! I loved him as Leland Mackenzie on "LA Law"!

RIP, sir.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

That clip was hilarious. I've never seen Richard Dysart look like that. Kurt Russell was so beautiful. I think beards are gross and ugly but not on him at all. His beard was downright purty. Damn.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    That clip was hilarious. I've never seen Richard Dysart look like that. Kurt Russell was so beautiful. I think beards are gross and ugly but not on him at all. His beard was downright purty. Damn.
    I agree. It was an epic beard and a REALLY good performance. I wanted to have a bromance with Macready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information