Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Sorry Babe, You're a Feminist

Default Sorry Babe, You're a Feminist

Came across this on HuffPo today. Katie Goodman rocks and if you ever get a chance to see her Broad Comedy, I suggest you go. And she's a good Bozeman Broad!

Sorry Babe, You're a Feminist
    I literally shrieked "GAH!!!" out loud in a Brooklyn coffee shop.
    I was reading the most recent interview with the actress du jour quoted saying, No, she wasn't a feminist. She was sitting there being interviewed, with no ironic intent whatsoever, wanting her voice to be heard and taken seriously during her interview, just so she could be heard to say she wasn't a feminist?!
    Luckily it's New York, so when I shrieked, of course no one even noticed.
    And thus was born my newest song, "Sorry Babe, You're A Feminist."

Sorry Babe, You're a Feminist¬*|¬*Katie Goodman
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Fantastic!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Brilliant, just brilliant, I love it.
    I've got to use that somehow with my students
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Elite Member

My goodness that was such a hoot to watch, very interesting and eye opening

These days it so easy for words to lose their meaning and get twisted around and have a negative spin put on them.. with Feminist/Feminism being a perfect example of this.

Lady Gaga's quote was cringeworthy.. "Im not a Feminist.. I love men" .. how ridiculous and hypocritical of her to say that, as she is meant to be supportive of gay rights.

What she said belittles both Lesbians AND Feminists.

Thank you for posting this MontanaMama .. i really do hope LOTS of people see it and take in what Katie is saying.
    fuzuoko likes this.

I lost respect for those women celebs who were so quick to shed the feminist label. For shame, Bjork, did not expect that from you. Or from Melissa Leo I am still in love with your character in Homicide.
    fuzuoko and MohandasKGanja like this.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

I think people say that because they're equating "feminist" with "hard-edge activist feminazi who hates men and refuses to shave her armpits."
    Kittylady, Clubber Lang and Annika like this.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I think people say that because they're equating "feminist" with "hard-edge activist feminazi who hates men and refuses to shave her armpits."
    Isn't there an Instagram filter for that?
    Sassiness likes this.

Women shouldn't be coerced to join political groups. If they do not wish to be associated with such things, then so be it. They don't deserve harassment and don't deserve to be looked down upon ...

You don't see these groups saying these things: "If you support equality, then you are an egalitarian" "If you supposed gay marriage, then you are a democrat" and so on.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

___
    Also what is up with the psychology reasoning thing happening: They are a feminist inside but don't know it yet, Internalized misogyny, etc.
    So what? Their actions define them as a human being, no matter what people think is happening in their minds. It is nonsensical and attempts manipulate the emotions of people.

Weeeeel, it is fair to point out to someone who in every action and opportunity is, in fact, a feminist but doesn't know what the word means or is an abject moron that they are a feminist when they say they're not. And, these are public figures who are asked a simple question - we want to raise the intelligence level of the world not let them go unchallenged with that abject idiocy.

Isn't it curious that those with a bee up their asses about feminists holler that you can't go around labeling people. Feminism/feminists is not a dirty word, nor is it (at its meaning) a particularly controversial one. To me, the video is merely pointing out stupidity. It's still ok to call stupid people stupid, at least on GR. Are you saying, Bunraku, that women and men who believe there is still more work to do to achieve an equality of opportunity between the sexes should just hush about it? BTW, feminism is not a political group.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

No because in my experience, criticizing other people will make them do the opposite things and cling on harder to their beliefs. I don't like to coerce people into doing this or that, but help them come to realize their actions for themselves.

And I do no know people who attend feminist conventions and rally for feminist beliefs and claim they are not one. That is just silly to deny something so blatant. I thought we were talking about the on-the-fence people.

And yes, it is a somewhat controversial word, I think. Even feminists themselves fight about what its meaning is. Talk to a few, and they all have a different idea of what it is (but are still united under the concept of achieving of equality, but also have different ways to go about it).

And I did not say it is a dirty word anywhere, and no, I did not say people should be quiet about it. I mentioned the other types of people who try to gain equal rights in other/similar sectors of life. You are putting words in my mouth.

So you did not actually watch the video and just posted based on the word feminist?

I think videos and assertions like this are just trying to point out and dispel the ignorance associated with the word - they're not attempting to actually ascribe an ideology to anyone who doesn't claim that ideology. It's simply saying, "If you do and think and believe these things, then hello, that makes you a feminist! It's not a four-letter word, THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS and we should all be proud to call ourselves feminists!"

I think women who enjoy all the benefits of feminism and, for all intents and purposes, live their lives like feminists do have some duty to embrace the label because that's precisely the way to reframe it for all its critics. If people associate the word with man-hating bra-burners and someone who clearly is no such thing claims the label, it helps to dispel that image, makes the term more accessible, and advances the cause for everyone.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    So you did not actually watch the video and just posted based on the word feminist?
    I saw the video. I don't like it. I guess I don't have a sense of humor.

_
    Also I just stuck the word political in there because I thought it was obvious that feminists gather to change politics and whatnot. I didn't mean for it to have a completely different meaning.But anyways, there are feminist political parties. Example: Gabriela, Philippine left feminist group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GABRIELA
    Last edited by Bunraku; March 26th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tati View Post
    i think videos and assertions like this are just trying to point out and dispel the ignorance associated with the word - they're not attempting to actually ascribe an ideology to anyone who doesn't claim that ideology. It's simply saying, "if you do and think and believe these things, then hello, that makes you a feminist! It's not a four-letter word, this is what it means and we should all be proud to call ourselves feminists!"

i think women who enjoy all the benefits of feminism and, for all intents and purposes, live their lives like feminists do have some duty to embrace the label because that's precisely the way to reframe it for all its critics. If people associate the word with man-hating bra-burners and someone who clearly is no such thing claims the label, it helps to dispel that image, makes the term more accessible, and advances the cause for everyone.
    holla!
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I think videos and assertions like this are just trying to point out and dispel the ignorance associated with the word - they're not attempting to actually ascribe an ideology to anyone who doesn't claim that ideology. It's simply saying, "If you do and think and believe these things, then hello, that makes you a feminist! It's not a four-letter word, THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS and we should all be proud to call ourselves feminists!"

I think women who enjoy all the benefits of feminism and, for all intents and purposes, live their lives like feminists do have some duty to embrace the label because that's precisely the way to reframe it for all its critics. If people associate the word with man-hating bra-burners and someone who clearly is no such thing claims the label, it helps to dispel that image, makes the term more accessible, and advances the cause for everyone.
    I agree to an extent. These celebs just reap what their predecessors sowed and hide behind their fortress made of cash, so they couldn't care less!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information