Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Angelina Jolie has had her ovaries removed after cancer scare

Default Angelina Jolie has had her ovaries removed after cancer scare

Angelina Jolie Pitt: Diary of a Surgery

Angelina Jolie Pitt: Because of a genetic mutation, I have had my ovaries removed

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/op...ytopinion&_r=0

LOS ANGELES — TWO years ago I wrote about my choice to have a preventive double mastectomy. A simple blood test had revealed that I carried a mutation in the BRCA1 gene. It gave me an estimated 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer. I lost my mother, grandmother and aunt to cancer.
    I wanted other women at risk to know about the options. I promised to follow up with any information that could be useful, including about my next preventive surgery, the removal of my ovaries and fallopian tubes.
    I had been planning this for some time. It is a less complex surgery than the mastectomy, but its effects are more severe. It puts a woman into forced menopause. So I was readying myself physically and emotionally, discussing options with doctors, researching alternative medicine, and mapping my hormones for estrogen or progesterone replacement. But I felt I still had months to make the date.
    Then two weeks ago I got a call from my doctor with blood-test results. “Your CA-125 is normal,” he said. I breathed a sigh of relief. That test measures the amount of the protein CA-125 in the blood, and is used to monitor ovarian cancer. I have it every year because of my family history.

But that wasn’t all. He went on. “There are a number of inflammatory markers that are elevated, and taken together they could be a sign of early cancer.” I took a pause. “CA-125 has a 50 to 75 percent chance of missing ovarian cancer at early stages,” he said. He wanted me to see the surgeon immediately to check my ovaries.

I went through what I imagine thousands of other women have felt. I told myself to stay calm, to be strong, and that I had no reason to think I wouldn’t live to see my children grow up and to meet my grandchildren.

I called my husband in France, who was on a plane within hours. The beautiful thing about such moments in life is that there is so much clarity. You know what you live for and what matters. It is polarizing, and it is peaceful.

That same day I went to see the surgeon, who had treated my mother. I last saw her the day my mother passed away, and she teared up when she saw me: “You look just like her.” I broke down. But we smiled at each other and agreed we were there to deal with any problem, so “let’s get on with it.”

Nothing in the examination or ultrasound was concerning. I was relieved that if it was cancer, it was most likely in the early stages. If it was somewhere else in my body, I would know in five days. I passed those five days in a haze, attending my children’s soccer game, and working to stay calm and focused.

Angelina Jolie Credit Luke Macgregor/Reuters The day of the results came. The PET/CT scan looked clear, and the tumor test was negative. I was full of happiness, although the radioactive tracer meant I couldn’t hug my children. There was still a chance of early stage cancer, but that was minor compared with a full-blown tumor. To my relief, I still had the option of removing my ovaries and fallopian tubes and I chose to do it.
    Continue reading the main story Continue reading the main story
    Continue reading the main story
    I did not do this solely because I carry the BRCA1 gene mutation, and I want other women to hear this. A positive BRCA test does not mean a leap to surgery. I have spoken to many doctors, surgeons and naturopaths. There are other options. Some women take birth control pills or rely on alternative medicines combined with frequent checks. There is more than one way to deal with any health issue. The most important thing is to learn about the options and choose what is right for you personally.
    In my case, the Eastern and Western doctors I met agreed that surgery to remove my tubes and ovaries was the best option, because on top of the BRCA gene, three women in my family have died from cancer. My doctors indicated I should have preventive surgery about a decade before the earliest onset of cancer in my female relatives. My mother’s ovarian cancer was diagnosed when she was 49. I’m 39.

Last week, I had the procedure: a laparoscopic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. There was a small benign tumor on one ovary, but no signs of cancer in any of the tissues.
    I have a little clear patch that contains bio-identical estrogen. A progesterone IUD was inserted in my uterus. It will help me maintain a hormonal balance, but more important it will help prevent uterine cancer. I chose to keep my uterus because cancer in that location is not part of my family history.
    It is not possible to remove all risk, and the fact is I remain prone to cancer. I will look for natural ways to strengthen my immune system. I feel feminine, and grounded in the choices I am making for myself and my family. I know my children will never have to say, “Mom died of ovarian cancer.”

Regardless of the hormone replacements I’m taking, I am now in menopause. I will not be able to have any more children, and I expect some physical changes. But I feel at ease with whatever will come, not because I am strong but because this is a part of life. It is nothing to be feared.

I feel deeply for women for whom this moment comes very early in life, before they have had their children. Their situation is far harder than mine. I inquired and found out that there are options for women to remove their fallopian tubes but keep their ovaries, and so retain the ability to bear children and not go into menopause. I hope they can be aware of that.

It is not easy to make these decisions. But it is possible to take control and tackle head-on any health issue. You can seek advice, learn about the options and make choices that are right for you. Knowledge is power.

Sad. This must be why Ent Lawyer wrote that blind item about an actress who is dying. I hope it isn't as serious as that. Good luck to her.

Elite Member

Wow. Truly incredible. I've always really liked Angie, and I applaud her choice to go public with this information in a bid to help others. Good for her.
    dilligaf and Angeli like this.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

A*O

Good for her for being so proactive and honest. Some women do get incredibly precious about their "woman's troubles" and there's absolutely no need. They also feel their female reproductive organs are somehow sacred and integral to their whole existance as a woman. Wrong again. They are body parts and if they're no longer necessary and possibly diseased too then get rid of them.
    Last edited by A*O; March 24th, 2015 at 05:25 AM.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Granted, this was 30+ years ago, but my mom died of ovarian cancer. Her doc told her she was just bloated. She died when she was 31. By the time you're seeing symptoms you're usually done for. I've had the CA-125 test every year since I was 31. Good for her. No one I know talks about this, including me. It's a killer for sure. I wish someone had been talking about this before my mom died just for the simple aspect of education.
    Clubber Lang and spinmonkey like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

< This is going to be wildly unpopular >

But I think Jolie is off her gourd.

Cutting off and removing her various body parts one by one, because of a statistical risk - no actual disease mind you, just probabilities - that her DNA has potential for disease. She has some kind of martyred Joan of Arc/Mother Teresa syndrome, she must save what's left of her connective tissue and vital parts for the good of humanity....and to be a leader in the per-emptive removal of female organs. Something akin to the medieval self flagellating monks.

And of course it all needs to be done in public on the front page of the news. Just to 'help' other women, you know?

Does this not remind anyone else of the vial of blood from ex husband Billy Bob she used to wear, her history of self cutting, drug addiction, and other bizarre body rituals she has carried on over the years?

I think she's fucking deranged, not brave.

What's next, the threatening kidney that *might* backfire someday? Get rid of that shit now. The arm that could get caught in a subway turnstile? Cut it off before its too late.

This woman has a lifelong history of self harm and she's becoming more psychotic as she gets older.
    Last edited by azoria; March 24th, 2015 at 07:14 AM.
    effie2, msdeb, NoNoRehab and 6 others like this.

I completely disagree.I think she has done the right thing and I would absolutely do the same. People go so OTT when it comes to Angelina!

czb

i'm with sarzy.

angelina made the decision based not only on a statistical risk (a very real statistical risk), but also because of a strong family history. i think i would also make the same decision. would not be thrilled with premature menopause, though.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i'm with sarzy.

angelina made the decision based not only on a statistical risk (a very real statistical risk), but also because of a strong family history. i think i would also make the same decision. would not be thrilled with premature menopause, though.

Yes this bit is important.

'But that wasn’t all. He went on. “There are a number of inflammatory markers that are elevated, and taken together they could be a sign of early cancer.” I took a pause. “CA-125 has a 50 to 75 percent chance of missing ovarian cancer at early stages,” he said. He wanted me to see the surgeon immediately to check my ovaries'

Ovarian cancer is not to be messed with. If I should ANY signs of that I would get rid of them. No question.
    Angeli and greysfang like this.

Good for her.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Silver Member

good for her and im glad shes came out and explained things
    politesse likes this.

Sorry but saying she is off her gourd to be proactive with her family history is offensive to me. Would you say the same to my friend whose mother and sister died of breast cancer and she had her breast removed even though she had no sign of cancer? She did the right thing IMO.
    SHELLEE, Sarzy, czb and 8 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

There will always be someone who will not be able to see beyond the hate of Jolie, no matter what.
    Sarzy, BrickHouse, sluce and 2 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Yeah, I can't think of anyone who would cut their ovaries out for attention
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    There will always be someone who will not be able to see beyond the hate of Jolie, no matter what.
    Always. They don't realise they sound crazier than the person they are calling crazy..
    sluce and Brando like this.

It sounds like she made a well informed decision based on what her doctors advised her to do. I don't think she's crazy. Even though my grandmother and aunt have both had breast cancer, I can't say that I would necessarily make the same decisions as she did but her medical decisions are up to her and her alone. And I think it's admirable to discuss it with the public because there are a lot of people who are uninformed about these issues.
    sluce, Kathie_Moffett and sparkles like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information