Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Taraji P. Henson to send her son to an all-black college so he won’t be profiled

Default Taraji P. Henson to send her son to an all-black college so he won’t be profiled

The success of Empire: “This is the happiest I’ve ever been in my career…I played a lot of characters that could’ve been borderline stereotypical women, but my job as an actress is to make the audience understand and empathize with the people. Cookie is a lot. She wears me out but I know this woman. I’ve done my research inside and out. I took Cookie from Lee and made her my own.”

She’s not about awards: “Right now, the hype is great. I hope that now, because of my name, people are starting to connect the dots. But for me, it’s not about awards because that’s so political, so finicky. Yes, having that beautiful trophy is a great accomplishment, but that doesn’t alter how I’m gonna move in this industry. I just put my knuckles to the wall and I work.”

All of the African-American women on TV these days: “It feels good that there’s not just one black person. I don’t like that we get fixated on one or two at a time, or three at a time. If you look at Caucasian Hollywood, every year there’s a handful of new faces you’ve never seen before, then after that, they got five movies coming out and they’re introducing you to more talent. So I’m just so happy to see what’s happening on television right now. We have options and that’s how it should be.”

On not comparing herself to other actresses:
    “If you don’t stay in your lane and you start looking around, you’ll go crazy. I use to have this crazy thing with Amy Adams, and I love Amy Adams. You see her [consistently] getting nominated, as she should, because Amy does good work. But, it’s like, ‘Well, I did good work too.’ But if you choose to stay in that place then you become miserable. It’s a pity party and nobody cares. I’m human, so I’ve done it. But I check that because it’s ego and it’s the devil.”

Her 20-year-old son Marcel: “My child has been racially profiled. He was in Glendale, California and did exactly everything the cops told him to do, including letting them illegally search his car. It was bogus because they didn’t give him the ticket for what he was pulled over for. Then he’s at University of Southern California, the school that I was going to transfer him to, when police stopped him for having his hands in his pockets. So guess where he’s going? Howard University. I’m not paying $50K so I can’t sleep at night wondering is this the night my son is getting racially profiled on campus.”

[From Uptown]

Cele|bitchy | Taraji P. Henson to send her son to an all-black college so he won’t be profiled

Sad she has to worry about her son being profiled at college.
    Brookie, kasippu and Clubber Lang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Her 20-year-old son Marcel: “My child has been racially profiled. He was in Glendale, California and did exactly everything the cops told him to do, including letting them illegally search his car. It was bogus because they didn’t give him the ticket for what he was pulled over for. Then he’s at University of Southern California, the school that I was going to transfer him to, when police stopped him for having his hands in his pockets. So guess where he’s going? Howard University. I’m not paying $50K so I can’t sleep at night wondering is this the night my son is getting racially profiled on campus.”

i like her, i love Empire, but two different issues with her son? Just wondering if he's the issue.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

She is alleging that he is being racially profiled. That often happens to black males more than once. My dad has told me a story multiple times that for the first year or so when he moved to his town (one of the wealthiest in the US), he was pulled over constantly. Several days a week. He is a surgeon and drives a nice car. He is and speaks like a highly intelligent man. It didn't stop the police from constantly pulling him over. They were the problem, not my dad.

It's not unusual for a black male to be harassed by the police several times. I'm surprised her son has only been bothered by them twice.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i like her, i love Empire, but two different issues with her son? Just wondering if he's the issue.
    I get DWBs all the time, never get ticketed. I'm not the issue, so why assume this kid is?
    dilligaf and sluce like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

Oh this stuff absolutely still happens. One of my best friend's, Alexis, her father is a brilliant surgeon and they are from the Houston area, though she now lives in Orange County, CA and she tells me of this kind of thing happening to her dad, mom, sister and her frequently. It makes me so sad/angry for her family and I'm just a friend, I can't even imagine how it feels to have it happen first hand.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

I have 2 good black friends who are always getting stopped. they are female and look like real "troublemakers".................not. It is ridiculous. I don't blame her.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NickiDrea View Post
    She is alleging that he is being racially profiled. That often happens to black males more than once. My dad has told me a story multiple times that for the first year or so when he moved to his town (one of the wealthiest in the US), he was pulled over constantly. Several days a week. He is a surgeon and drives a nice car. He is and speaks like a highly intelligent man. It didn't stop the police from constantly pulling him over. They were the problem, not my dad.

It's not unusual for a black male to be harassed by the police several times. I'm surprised her son has only been bothered by them twice.
    I get very upset here along the mainline when I see minorities pulled over, and the local police departments have 2-3 police cars around the car. My daughter was only 4 years old when from the backseat she asked why the policemen pull over all the black people. There has finally been some backlash, but it still happens.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I get DWBs all the time, never get ticketed. I'm not the issue, so why assume this kid is?
    no no no, not assuming. Just wondering.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think it's a fair question Deb, but how horrifying that this is such a widespread issue. Is there anything that people being constantly pulled over can do? It sounds like harassment and victimisation to me.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

oh i agree, he's probably being profiled, but i just threw out the question. Didn't mean to be offensive.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

She's from DC, so him being close to her family probably played into the decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    There has finally been some backlash, but it still happens.
    Not enough unfortunately. It's the same in NY with "stop and frisk". Despite several court rulings saying the policy was discriminatory and that police were racially profiling, it still wasn't enough to get rid of it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Is that her on the cover? Got damn! She was hot!
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I know Howard's in DC but as soon as he steps off campus, isn't racial profiling going to happen anyway...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information