Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Lingerie plus-size star sold FOUR TIMES as many products as slim blondes

Default Lingerie plus-size star sold FOUR TIMES as many products as slim blondes

Skinny doesn't sell! Lingerie company reveals its plus-size campaign star sold FOUR TIMES as many products as the slim blonde models featured in a previous ad

• Adore Me has revealed that its television ad featuring a plus size model generated more sales than the commercial starring a group of blondes
    • The New York-based startup used A/B testing, in which consumers are shown different ads in order to measure their preferences

20 March 2015

Bigger is better when it comes to selling bras because according to new market research, women are more likely to buy lingerie if it's modeled by a plus-size woman over a thin blonde.

Adore Me
    , a rapidly growing lingerie start-up based in New York, has revealed that its television ad featuring a plus size model quadrupled online sales when compared to the brand's commercial starring a group of blondes.

'There's an overall mentality that you have to be super skinny,' the company's founder Morgan Hermand-Waiche told CNN. 'We are showing that we offer lingerie for everyone.'

Betty versus Veronica: Online retailer Adore Me has revealed that new research shows that its television ad starring a plus size brunette sold more lingerie that its commercial featuring a group of blondes

The three-year-old start-up, which sells its lingerie and swimwear through monthly subscriptions, as well as one-off purchases, used a marketing strategy called A/B testing, in which consumers are shown different ads in order to measure what models, poses and settings increase the retailer's sales.

When Adore Me debuted its first national television campaign last January, the company used the testing method for its three different commercials, which aired on channels such as Bravo, Lifetime and MTV.

One television ad featured a cast of all blonde models, another showcased all brunette models and the third starred one plus-size brunette.

After the company monitored online traffic and sales throughout the month, they came to the -perhaps surprising conclusion - that the 30-second commercial featuring the dark-haired plus-size model generated four times as many sales than the one featuring the blondes.

Even better news for the thriving company is that the plus size clip only cost one-tenth of the other commercials' production expenses to make.

The online retailer also learned that its female consumers preferred the commercial that left its models unretouched.

Adore Me didn't do any digital retouching to the ad featuring multiple brunette models - and that commercial was the one that was favorited by consumers.
    A/B testing is an important strategy for the company, which unveils a new collection every month.

Blondes don't sell: Last year's research showed that women are far more likely to buy lingerie online if it's modeled on a brunette over a flaxen haired beauty

Last year's marketing research showed that women are far more likely to buy lingerie online if it's modeled on a brunette over a blonde.

Keeping that information in mind, the company wasn't surprised when its commercials featuring brunette models fared better than the ones that starred blondes during this year's round of testing.

'At the end of the day... it's [our] customers who choose the model they like [and] the pose they like instead of us imposing on them,' Mr Hermand-Waiche told CNN's Rachel Crane.
    'Its really the customer who builds the [Adore Me] website based on what they prefer,' he noted.

Adore Me lingerie company reveals its plus-size campaign star sold FOUR TIMES as many products | Daily Mail Online

funny what qualifies as plus sized now a days. I wear a 16 and i don't look like those fatties. *eyeroll*
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Absolutely, it blows my mind that that gorgeous woman is considered "plus size," she looks almost the same size as Marilyn Monroe back in the day.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    funny what qualifies as plus sized now a days. I wear a 16 and i don't look like those fatties. *eyeroll*
    Same here. I am a 14/16 and I don't look like those "plus size" models but according to fashion I'm a plus size...whatever.

Gorgeous model, whatever size she is. She could probably sell anything she was standing next to. Kind of reminds me of Yasmeen Ghauri.
    azoria, Belt Up and Novice like this.

No doubt the plus sized model, just like the skinny ones, is photo shopped. No bulges, no bumps, no cellulite. Just a softer, slightly larger version of a skinny model.

I think this one is positively shitteous. I want to poke her with a stick to see if she moves. Dreadful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    Absolutely, it blows my mind that that gorgeous woman is considered "plus size," she looks almost the same size as Marilyn Monroe back in the day.
    Oh, no. Marilyn was tiny. This woman does not have Marilyn's 23 inch waist.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Elite Member

Lemme see, maybe, because, there are more plus size out there than stick weeds?
    BelledeJour and Callalily like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Oh, no. Marilyn was tiny. This woman does not have Marilyn's 23 inch waist.
    If I remember correctly, due to vanity sizing, marilyn's size 12 back then is something like a 2-4 right now. This article talks about it: Marilyn Monroe was Not Even Close to a Size 12-16
    dowcat, BelledeJour and Callalily like this.

^Thank you! I wish people would get it. Some women always use Marilyn's size to justify theirs.
    Laurent, BelledeJour, Brah and 3 others like this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

^^^ Or maybe they're not trying to "justify" anything. Maybe they are just unaware of vanity sizing and the differences between sizes today and 50 years ago?
    firebrat1229 likes this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Silver Member

My mother and MIL were both very petite back in the 1940’s and their size THEN was a 10! Today, maybe a 2 or less? And I was thin and a 7/8 in the 60's. I hate vanity sizing, it's too damn confusing and all over the place. And I'm sick to death of anorexic models.
    Callalily likes this.

Looks good!

I think somewhere between these two sizes is what I consider to be a perfect body.

As for Marilyn, I remember going to an exhibit where they had some of her clothes. I remember thinking that she was an incredibly small woman.
    sputnik and JazzyGirl like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information