• 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By greysfang

Thread: Mike Porcaro of Toto dead at age 59

Default Mike Porcaro of Toto dead at age 59

Toto Bassist Mike Porcaro Dead at 59

Longtime musician succumbs to Lou Gehrig's Disease

BY DAVID CHIU March 15, 2015

Longtime Toto bassist Mike Porcaro passed away at the age of 59. JIL Studio/WireImage

Mike Porcaro, the longtime bass player for Grammy-winning rock band Toto, died early Sunday morning at 59 following a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

Toto Eclipse of the Heart: The Best of Eighties Soft Rock
    Steve Porcaro, Toto's keyboardist and Porcaro's brother, confirmed the news on Facebook, writing, "Our brother Mike passed away peacefully in his sleep at 12:04 AM last night at home surrounded by his family. Rest in peace, my brother."

"My brother Mike Porcaro is now at peace," added Toto guitarist Steve Lukather on Twitter. "I will miss him more than I could ever put into words. My deepest love to the family. God Bless."

Porcaro became an official member of Toto following the departure of the band's original bass player David Hungate around the time of Toto's hugely successful 1982 album Toto IV, joining his brothers Steve and late drummer Jeff. As bassist, Porcaro appeared on such albums as Isolation (1984), Fahrenheit (1986),Mindfields (1998) and Through the Looking Glass (2002).

In the mid-2000s, Porcaro stopped touring with the band due to his declining health and handed the bass reins to Leland Sklar in 2007. He was inducted alongside his band into the Musician’s Hall of Fame in 2009. Following a hiatus, Toto announced in 2010 that it would tour to raise money for Porcaro as well as awareness about ALS.

In an interview with the website Something Else! in 2012, Toto keyboardist David Paich spoke about Porcaro's condition at the time. "He's been going downhill for the last three years here, because it's a very slow, degenerative process. But, again, Mike mentally is fantastic and if you talk to him, his spirits are up and he's great and like the old Mike Porcaro, except that he’s disabled, he’s in a wheelchair and can’t move; can't walk and can't play which is a heartbreaking drag."
    Formed in 1978 in Los Angeles, Toto is best known for such classic rock hits as "Hold the Line," "Rosanna" and "Africa" and won an Album of the Year Grammy for 1982's Toto IV. Toto's new record, Toto XIV, is due out on March 24, with the band embarking on a European tour starting in May.

Read more: Toto Bassist Mike Porcaro Dead at 59 | Rolling Stone

Hope he is dancing in the rain down in Africa.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

RIP, Mike.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Toto IV is one of my favorite pop/rock guilty pleasures...this is sad.

Georgy Porgy was the jam too...
    sputnik likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^^
    they're an excellent guilty pleasure band. different genre, but I feel the same way about Robert Palmer.
    BITTER likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sad!!! Hold the Line is my favorite Toto song. It was funny to me when I got older and found our Roseanna was about a person. I named a dog after that song and that is what I thought about when I heard it.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I love a whole bunch of Toto songs (nostalgia) - 99 (my favorite), Africa, Rosanna, I Won't Hold You Back, Hold the Line, I'll Be Over You.

RIP, Mike Porcaro. Terrible illness.
    sputnik likes this.

I don't know if I've just become more aware of ALS since my sister was diagnosed and passed away of this illness, but I feel like I'm reading more stories about people being diagnosed with this disease...

This song reminds me so much of me and my bff just riding around town on a nice summer night, singing at the top of your lungs.

gas_chick and BITTER like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Good for You
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Thread Information