Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kristen Scott Thomas: aging actresses are ‘invisible & that’s never going to change’

Default Kristen Scott Thomas: aging actresses are ‘invisible & that’s never going to change’

Kristin Scott Thomas told Sophie Raworth that ageism in Hollywood was a “disaster”, and that female actors are still losing out on roles to younger ones. “I won’t bore you with all the stories of older women not getting jobs in film because it’s so boring. But it’s true – it’s a disaster,” she said on BBC One’s Andrew Marr Show on Sunday.
    When Raworth asked the 54-year-old actor why she thought it was boring, Scott Thomas replied: “Because it’s never going to change. Until the average life-span is 150 years or something, I don’t think women in their 50s are going to be considered at all viable. I think that’s what it is,” she said. “Sorry.”

Scott Thomas has spoken about watching herself age on screen in the past. In 2013, she said: “When you’re my age, you’re invariably in a supporting role, so there’s often a young woman in her twenties or early thirties who is the lead, and you’re constantly put next to them. You’re watching yourself get old, on a screen that hides nothing.”
    She added that she would consider a face-lift, and said that women of her age became “invisible” to society.

[From Independent]

Cele|bitchy | Kristen Scott Thomas: aging actresses are ‘invisible & that’s never going to change’

I hope she doesn't mess with her face. I think she is aging really well and she has talent! Don't distract from that by making yourself look like a blowfish.
    kasippu and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

I'm actually starting to think there are a lot more quality roles for women in their 40's and 50's in the last several years, then there were in the years past. Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Diane Lane, etc.

Don't like the curtainy dress but she's pretty.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm actually starting to think there are a lot more quality roles for women in their 40's and 50's in the last several years, then there were in the years past. Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, Diane Lane, etc.
    Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, Jane Fonda .... (OK, not 50s). She shouldn't sound so defeated.
    Clubber Lang and Bluebonnet like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

She has a point about how society sees older women. I think it was Cynthia Heimel who wrote a piece years ago about how when you pass the age where men want to fuck you you become invisible to half of the world. She wasn't the only one to point out this ugly truth. It's harsh but there is something to it.Eta- I think it happens to men as well in a slightly different way. Older people are just sort of overlooked in many ways.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 5th, 2015 at 05:17 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I like the dress, even if it's billowy and yellow/gray (colors I detest together) but it works here. She looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    She has a point about how society sees older women. I think it was Cynthia Heimel who wrote a piece years ago about how when you pass the age where men want to fuck you you become invisible to half of the world. She wasn't the only one to point out this ugly truth. It's harsh but there is something to it.Eta- I think it happens to men as well in a slightly different way. Older people are just sort of overlooked in many ways.
    I've been thinking about this sort of thing a lot lately. I completely agree with everything you said.

There does seem to be a slow, creeping improvement going on, but the remark she made about how the younger actress is always the lead, the center of the story...that struck home. I've noticed that my whole life and I never did like it, even when I was young. It made me so uneasy about the future--my future.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

Eh, I don't know I feel like Jessica Lang, Betty White, Bea Arthur, (shit, all the Golden Girls), Helen Mirren, etc. are pretty fierce and extremely visible, though I do get what she's saying.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

It seems to be very true, especially in Hollywood. Even if there are women like Judy Dench, Helen Mirren, etc, they're a select few who had the talent to continue their acting careers past the end of their youth. But otherwise, most movies would rather give leads to the revolving door of young actresses who have more tits than talent. Independent movies are different than blockbusters I'm sure, but the Hollywood system hasn't changed since the days of the studio system in this regard (imo) and probably won't any time soon. I find it extremely depressing, even if the Hollywood infrastructure isn't exactly representational of every day life, it must still represent general mindset that a young woman will always be more valuable than an older one, just because her worth hinges upon her youth and sexual allure. There's a bias against all older people after a certain age, but for women it's tenfold. But idk, I'm very sensitive to this kind of thing (youth/beauty and how it's tied with women's value) and tend to get on a soap box when I feel the slightest offense to it, which is easy given it's everywhere. It makes me feel an urgent need to live up every moment of youth, because my time will end before I've even begun life---and many Hollywood films exacerbate that feeling. I'm insulted enough seeing the result of this ageism through films, I can't imagine living within it.

The truth is there are few parts for older women and it seems that these parts go to the same older actresses year after year when there is a 1000+ older actresses just as talented waiting on the sidelines. Also so often they hire a much younger woman to play a part of an older woman. They just dress her up put some wrinkles on her and she's good to go. It's all about bringing in the big money. OT some, but this also goes for gay parts....how often do we see straight ppl playing gay parts, this makes my blood boil.

I was just checking Maggie Smith's IMDB entry and she seems like an example of someone who has transitioned through every age and still found roles. And I would hit it. Carefully, of course.

C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Know what you mean.

I finally watched Wolf of Wall Street the other night and was a bit sickened by Margot Robbie's role. If I was an actress I'd relish playing parts that involved more than merely pouting and flashing my tits.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchywoman View Post
    The truth is there are few parts for older women and it seems that these parts go to the same older actresses year after year when there is a 1000+ older actresses just as talented waiting on the sidelines. Also so often they hire a much younger woman to play a part of an older woman. They just dress her up put some wrinkles on her and she's good to go. It's all about bringing in the big money. OT some, but this also goes for gay parts....how often do we see straight ppl playing gay parts, this makes my blood boil.
    Why shouldn't straight people be cast to play gay characters? It's acting. Should they have hired a geniune autistic savant to play Rain Man? Pigeonholing gay actors into gay roles would be much more offensive.
    Kittylady likes this.

czb

^^^ agree. and i remember when anne heche was still with ellen and anne was cast as a romantic lead in a straight role. lots of negative comments on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information