Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Ryan Phillippe on depression: ‘a huge obstacle for me since I was a child’

Default Ryan Phillippe on depression: ‘a huge obstacle for me since I was a child’

On Cruel Intentions: “Yeah Roger [Kumble], the writer slash director, really screwed up some kids, huh?”

His career: “I’m still acting, and I still love it, but I really want to try–and be willing to fail–in a bunch of different realms. I produced a documentary, a surf movie about the genocide in West Papua, that won a bunch of awards. And now, I’m really involved in helping to liberate a small country. That takes time away from acting, you know. I’m raising kids, as a single father, and I’ve got this startup. I get comments all the time on social media like, ‘What ever happened to him?’ or ‘Where have you been?’ Like, I’m doing stuff! It may not be stuff that you see, but I’m doing stuff.”

On women: “I’m very feminist, man. I was raised by four women, my dad worked the 4 P.M. to midnight shift, so I was basically raised by four women. I’m so pro, pro female. There were some people laughing at Patricia Arquette’s statement at the Oscars, but, in the state of California, women make 83 cents on the dollar compared to the man’s full dollar. I mean over time, and over bodies, that adds up! It’s not equal!”

On depression:Depression has been a huge obstacle for me ever since I was a child. As you get older I think it decreases some, but I’m just innately kind of a sad person. I’m empathetic, and I take on the feelings of others and transpose myself into the position of others. I see it in my daughter. She has it, and I wish to hell she didn’t. It’s just, some people do have this pervading sort of sadness, or they’re so analytical that they can kind of take the fun out of things because they think too much. I’m thankful in some ways to have a level of sensitivity but it can also become a burden at times, you know? But, that being said, if it was a choice between being this way or being completely ignorant I’d prefer to suffer through the sadness than to be a complete moron with no feelings.”

On social media sniping:
    “My skin is so thick at this point. I’ve been in the entertainment industry for 23 years so there’s nothing anyone can say that I haven’t heard or thought myself. You just keep movin’, you know? That noise is so quiet at this stage of my life. Who am I trying to really prove anything to at this point in my life? Myself, my kids, my family.”

[From Elle]

Cele|bitchy | Ryan Phillippe on depression: ‘a huge obstacle for me since I was a child’

that was surprisingly honest. and unexpected. i don't really know much about philippe but i always thought he was assumed to be kind of a dick.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think I kind of want to get together with him now and see if we can bang the depression out of one another.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

i feel for him.. it is an endless nightmare when you struggle with this illness.

Ryan was always portrayed as the bad guy after his marriage with Reese ended.. but i can't imagine Reese would have been the most pleasant person to live with.

It's refreshing to hear about an actor/famous person who just loves their craft and doesn't want the limelight in their face all the time.

i wish Ryan all the best.
    BITTER, Bluebonnet, Honey and 1 others like this.

Being involved with an empath is very stressing!!! Your moods and feelings aren't your own. Plus they overthink the smallest things!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Damn, I can really relate and understand what he's saying about his depression. Sounds like something I could have said myself. Oddly enough, I see it in my daughter and it makes me sad
    venue_26, aggie, sputnik and 2 others like this.

I wish he had not publically said "She has it" about his daughter. That is her story to tell, when she is ready. Now it is out there and can be used to taunt her, whether she is prepared for the fallout or not.
    BrickHouse, sputnik and KrisNine like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Bronze Member

Come to think of it he does have a serious/sad/unhappy demeanor,never really looks upbeat.
    holly likes this.

He's liberating a small country?

I think he sounds full of himself and defensive. I"m doing stuff!! I'm not a dick, I just have the feels too much!!

IDK, this guy has always rubbed me the wrong way.
    NickiDrea, joebob and Belt Up like this.

I always thought Reese and him handled their divorce well and both seemed to put their kids first. I may be wrong, but I can't remember any bad mouthing or bad press from either during that time.

I have thought he was hot since Cruel Intentions. He has always had that quiet and brooding vibe...kind of like Keanu Reeves.
    Mrs P likes this.

I agree that they seemed to handle the divorce well and get on for their kids. I've always liked Ryan and wondered why he didn't get more movie roles or maybe he just wasn't making the best choices.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I wouldn't cast him in anything unless I wanted the audience fall asleep. He's pleasant to look at but has no screen presence, imo.
    CornFlakegrl, rollo and Angeli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    that was surprisingly honest. and unexpected. i don't really know much about philippe but i always thought he was assumed to be kind of a dick.

I was always thought the same so I'm actually positive surprised by this interview. He seems like a great (and good looking) guy.
    venue_26 likes this.

He's a poetry reading away from James Franco territory.
    idunno, coolade, soogar and 4 others like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    He's liberating a small country?

I think he sounds full of himself and defensive. I"m doing stuff!! I'm not a dick, I just have the feels too much!!

IDK, this guy has always rubbed me the wrong way.
    I got the same vibe, his wording comes across as very awkward and narcissistic.
    NickiDrea and joebob like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information