Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Madonna's Advice to Kids About Drugs

Default Madonna's Advice to Kids About Drugs

Madonna says she will just ask her daughter Lourdes to make wise decisions about drugs not ban her from them.Photo: Getty Images

Her daughter Lourdes may have only turned 18 in October, but Madonna is already letting her make adult decisions.
    Speaking at a taping of the Jonathan Ross Show following her unfortunate fall at the BRIT Awards, the Mirror reports the 56-year-old singer said she was not going to ban her children from dangerous - and illegal - habits such as drug use.

"I just ask my daughter to make wise decisions and to do things in moderation and to try not to mix her alcohol," she said.
    "I am not going to say 'no, don't do it' because that is just absurd. And it is not fair. Yeah, I did it."
    Advertisement

However, the Living for Love singer explained that she personally was not a fan of drug use.

"I am not a big fan of drugs. They just don't suit me," she said.
    "The handful of times I have tried drugs, many many many many years ago, I just didn't enjoy it. I wanted it out of me. I started guzzling bottles of water thinking that was going to end it."
    Madonna has four children: Lourdes, Rocco, 14, David, 9, and Mercy, also 9. David and Mercy were both adopted from Malawian orphanages in 2008 and 2009, respectively.

The Living for Love singer described herself as a "strict parent" in an interview with Good Morning America in 2012, explaining how she made Lourdes wait until she was 16 to get an iPhone and had refused then 12-year-old Rocco a mobile phone until he was older.
    In addition to laying down the house rules, Madonna has developed a close professional relationship with Lourdes, whose father is Madonna's ex-personal trainer Carlos Leon. Since 2010, the pair have jointly run the Material Girl clothing line for teenage girls, and Lourdes was employed in the wardrobe department of her mother's MDNA Tour in 2012.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/madonna-says-lourdes-and-other-children-can-use-drugs-in-moderation-20150302-13sajk.html

Really Madge, many, many, many, many years ago was the last time you did drugs? What were you like 11?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

She will ban t.v. , junk food, but not drugs. good decision.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Elite Member

Eh.....her daughter's in school in Michigan. Madonna can't watch her 24-7 anyway. As long as Madonna controls the purse strings now AND later, she's got some ability to control their lives.

I think that this is really good advice. Influencing the decisions your choldrn make based on what you taught them before is much better than not allowing certain things you don't have control over anyway.
    twitchy2.0 and sputnik like this.

I believe she allowed Lourdes to smoke at an early age. As if she can tear herself away from the gym anyway.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

I think that this is really good advice. Influencing the decisions your choldrn make based on what you taught them before is much better than not allowing certain things you don't have control over anyway.
    I agree. Once they reach a certain age what they do isn't in your control and all you can do is prepare them by speaking with them intelligently and providing them with good information.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I agree too. I fall into the camp of teach them to be responsible, learn their limits, with alcohol, etc. before they leave home for college. You won't be there to help them then, and it could be too late. I am not saying to drink or do drugs with your kid.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Dwayne Stomp, lead guitarist of Blacktooth, had the most effective warning against drugs:
    cheray likes this.

drugs are bad, mmmkay?
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I'm a pretty open parent and I have to say the drug talk is hard. Oh we've discussed the dangers of drugs but she's starting to ask about our drug history and that's... awkward. You don't want to give them permission but you don't want to lie. So far I've admitted to trying stuff in college. Which is kinda true. I emphasize that being older I could make smarter choices about safety, who I was with, etc. But really, how do you tell your kid all the dumb, dangerous shit you did?

You don't. It's about them, not you. They think you lived in the Dark Ages anyway.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Do your best to arm your kids with good information. That's about all you can do. I once read that you really shouldn't be honest with your teens about your own drug and alcohol use when you were a teen. Even though we want to be honest with them, we sometimes give them permission when we admit to something. I don't know how true that is. I know there are things my parents weren't completely forthcoming about when I was a teen. I eventually figured it out and it wasn't a big deal/
    rollo likes this.

i'd rather send a kid off to college with some street skills and experience and not a sheltered polyanna who'll either go crazy from the sudden freedom and lack of supervision, or get taken advantage of. or both.

i realised my dad had smoked pot first time i smoked it, and the smell instantly took me back to my childhood and my dad's funny smelling rolled cigarettes. he never smoked in front of us or anything but icould smell it on him every once in a while and i remember smelling it in the house when they had friends over or threw parties and i was supposed to be asleep but would sometimes stay up and spy
    he'd quit by the time i even found out what pot was so i never put two and two together until i was older.

so yeah, they knew they could never get away with telling us they'd never smoked and were honest about it and the negative side-effects of smoking like lack of motivation and lethargy and memory issues. they were always open with us about alcohol and i was allowed to try it as a kid and remember sneaking sips of beer from my dad and thinking it tasted really good. they also gave us the talk about the dangers of drinking too.
    and we got the talk about all the addicts in the family and other horror stories.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can totally believe Madonna when she says that drugs weren't for her. She's way too much of a control freak to be able to enjoy herself if too fucked up.
    sputnik, Sylkyn and Mrs P like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information