Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Will Smith: ‘Jada and I like to give our kids complete responsibility’

Default Will Smith: ‘Jada and I like to give our kids complete responsibility’

Will Smith is back on the big screen in Focus, playing a con man extraordinaire who teaches the ropes to a beautiful protégé played by Aussie actress Margot Robbie (Wolf of Wall Street).
    The actor, 46, talked to The Mid contributor Jeanne Wolf about his insecurities, unstoppable optimism, and a few of his bad habits.

There's plenty of suspense and action in Focus, but you and Margot make time for some romance.
    Every movie is a love story. My theory is that there is no other kind of movie. Even films like Bad Boys are "bromance"—we ride together, we die together, bad boys for life. Everything is about human relationships.

Being a part of Hollywood must make you no stranger to con men.
    Are you kidding? I’m an actor. Everybody is running a con. There are certain things that people want and they’re going to do the things they need to do to get them. All right? They’re gonna wear the clothes and say things they need to say. Everybody is trying to get what they want. At the heart of human interaction is a daily con.

After all the movies you’ve made, does it get easier?
    Ninety percent of the time I’m uncomfortable and uncertain when I’m making a movie. I don’t want people to know how difficult it is. I think it’s part of my job to make sure that the audience doesn’t know and that they only experience the joy of the process when they see me on the screen.

How do you conquer your insecurities?
    I think I learned very young to attack fear. There are tons of things that I’m scared of. It’s frustrating to me when I’m scared of something, so I’m forced to go and attack it. It’s been helpful, but it’s been painful.

Your son Jaden and daughter Willow are following in your footsteps and pursuing their own acting careers. What advice are you giving them?
    My great-grandmother used to say, "Bought sense is better than that you borrow." I always took that as doing it yourself. Earning that lump on your head is always better than listening to someone else about the lump they got on their head. Jada and I like to give our kids complete responsibility. Outside of life or death, we like to give them their own choices and put the responsibility of their lives on to them as much as they can handle it.

Do you have any bad habits you’d like to change?I have that artist's mind, so I never know where my keys are, where my wallet is, and I don't really care a lot about clothes. I take my clothes off and drop them. I don't clean up stuff. I’m always trying to create something, and I need my creative state to be kind of cluttered.

How do you deal with the pressure to stay on top in a tough business?
    The more success that I have, the more difficult it becomes to do something new, to do something different, to find something creative and special. I've still got a little bit of room out there, but as I move along the margin for error is getting smaller and smaller.

What's guiding you?

I must have some sort of weird anti-negativity filter, rose-colored glasses or something. I try not to acknowledge obstacles and boundaries. I still identify with what Barack Obama called "the audacity of hope." I know some people may call it the arrogance of hope, or the foolishness of hope, but I believe something gets created when you believe in something.

The Mid

Yeah yeah yeah we know you let your kids raise themselves blah blah same story for how long now?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Do you have any bad habits you’d like to change?I have that artist's mind, so I never know where my keys are, where my wallet is, and I don't really care a lot about clothes. I take my clothes off and drop them. I don't clean up stuff. I’m always trying to create something, and I need my creative state to be kind of cluttered.

most of the article is boring. but WTF is this shit?
    Laurent, BelledeJour and Kittylady like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

His interviews are always so transparent and phony. My mom still loves him though.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

he's such a fucking phony. a phony clam.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Your great-great grandma would hit you upside the head for talking this silly nonsense.
    nwgirl likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

He is a complete tool. I can't imagine how tedious it must be to be in the same room with him.
    nwgirl and sprynkles like this.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

douchecanoe

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^Holy shit! I just woke up in 8th grade!!!
    Last edited by sluce; February 27th, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

He talks a big game. His kids make their own choices and have responsibility for their own lives because they have rich, clueless parents that foot the bill and can bail them out when needed. Is he so far removed from his "middle class" roots?
    BelledeJour likes this.

^Holy shit! I just work up in 8th grade!!!
    you did! and don't both our asses and faces look better?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yes!! And you should see my tits! They point straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Complete responsibility = none

Are you kidding? I’m an actor. Everybody is running a con. There are certain things that people want and they’re going to do the things they need to do to get them. All right? They’re gonna wear the clothes and say things they need to say. Everybody is trying to get what they want. At the heart of human interaction is a daily con.
    Yet he doesn't realize he's been conned by a dead man: L Ron Hubbard.
    sluce likes this.

I too am an artist. Who knew.
    KrisNine, tulip and BelledeJour like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information