• 2 Post By *Wookie-Chick*
  • 3 Post By Makisa
  • 4 Post By ManxMouse
  • 2 Post By rollo
  • 2 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 2 Post By CornFlakegrl
  • 1 Post By GRuser1

Thread: Bjork: Women auteurs have to ‘make guys in the room think it’s their idea’

Default Bjork: Women auteurs have to ‘make guys in the room think it’s their idea’

“The world has a difficult time with the female auteur”: “I have nothing against Kanye West. I’m not dissing him–this is about how people talk about him. With the last album he did, he got all the best beatmakers on the planet at the time to make beats for him. A lot of the time, he wasn’t even there. Yet no one would question his authorship for a second. If whatever I’m saying to you now helps women, I’m up for saying it. For example, I did 80% of the beats on Vespertine and it took me three years to work on that album, because it was all microbeats–it was like doing a huge embroidery piece. Matmos came in the last two weeks and added percussion on top of the songs, but they didn’t do any of the main parts, and they are credited everywhere as having done the whole album. [Matmos'] Drew [Daniel] is a close friend of mine, and in every single interview he did, he corrected it. And they don’t even listen to him. It really is strange.”

On taking credit: “When people don’t credit me for the stuff I’ve done, it’s for several reasons. One! I learned what a lot of women have to do is make the guys in the room think it was their idea, and then you back them up. Two! I spend 80% of the writing process of my albums on my own. I write the melodies. I’m by the computer. I edit a lot. That for me is very solitary. I don’t want to be photographed when I’m doing that. I don’t invite people around. The 20% of the album process when I bring in the string orchestras, the extras, that’s documented more. That’s the side people see. When I met M.I.A., she was moaning about this, and I told her, ‘Just photograph yourself in front of the mixing desk in the studio, and people will go, ‘Oh, OK! A woman with a tool, like a man with a guitar.’ I remember seeing a photo of Missy Elliott at the mixing desk in the studio and being like, a-ha! It’s an ongoing battle. I hope it doesn’t come across as too defensive, but it is the truth. I definitely can feel the third or fourth feminist wave in the air, so maybe this is a good time to open that Pandora’s box a little bit and air it out.”

[From Pitchfork]

Cele|bitchy | Bjork: Women auteurs have to ‘make guys in the room think it’s their idea’

Elite Member

Great interview.. Bjork is so fascinating.

And that is a great (and sad) point that female artist's have to be pictured by an instrument to be taken seriously.. Whereas no one questions male artists about their talent.

Love her outfit in this pic and she is such a unique person and talent.
    Janus and Lalasnake like this.

There's a labia on her chest.
    cheray, msdeb and Lalasnake like this.

She's a genius in my book.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Ha, a lot of the time Kanye wasn't in the studio and other people were creating his beats? Cue the mother of all rants. It's a good job he is a fashion designer!
    Kittylady and idunno like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

she's right.
    Kittylady and CornFlakegrl like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

yes, she is.
    Kittylady likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love her and her music. Misogyny is a bitch.
    Kittylady and palta like this.

I think she is right.
    She is also absolutely awesome, even though some of her music is a bit too "conceptual" for me.
    czb likes this.

Thread Information