Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Cindy Crawford lingerie image stirs debate over what 'real women' look like

Default Cindy Crawford lingerie image stirs debate over what 'real women' look like

CNN)An apparent image of 48-year-old Cindy Crawford in lingerie is stirring discussion about what "real" women look like -- but not for reasons you might expect.

The practice of photo retouching in fashion publications renders most models completely free of blemishes or imperfections to the point of being unrealistic. But this photo of Crawford baring her sun-kissed torso is drawing praise for showing her in a realistic light.

The image of murky origins spread through social media on Friday after British ITV News anchor Charlene White shared it on Twitter, attributing it to Marie Claire magazine. The American version of Marie Claire, a joint venture between Hearst Magazines and French-based Marie Claire Album, called the image real, honest and gorgeous, but denied any connection to the photo.
    "Its origins are actually from a December 2013 cover story from Marie Claire Mexico and Latin America. It appears that this unretouched version is a leak," the magazine said in an online post Friday. Representatives from Marie Claire Mexico, which is owned by Mexico-based Editorial Televisa, did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.
    White said she first spotted the image on a friend's private Instagram feed and sought it out on Twitter. She said she found it on a fashion blog whose name she couldn't recall, and she shared the image from there.
    Regardless of the photo's origins, White said she took comfort in the image as a celebrity whose looks are constantly scrutinized.
    "Women come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes," she said. "I think it's important to see all sorts of body shapes on our screens and in our magazines so that people have a true reflection of what people look like," White told CNN.
    Many agreed, including actor Jamie Lee Curtis, who applauded the image on Twitter and shared an image of herself in skivvies. "Bravo Cindy Crawford," she said. "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all Ye need to know on earth, and all Ye need to know."

Good for her, but she looks so much thinner in the candid/street photos than this. She looks like she's been photoshopped to look worse than she is.
    llamamama likes this.

I think it's shot from a bad angle. She does look bigger here than she actually is. What I'm noticing more than anything else is a lot of sun damage.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

OCD

I'm finding people's comments about her appearance in this picture the most interesting. I've seen a lot of people that don't believe it's her- that she couldn't possibly have let herself go this bad. It's odd how many women are angry with her because I think they feel if there's no hope for Cindy to stay perfect, there's no hope for them either.

And of course all the wankers that are cutting her down and feeling angry that their 80's/90's spank material appears to be past it's prime. People just generally really suck. I do wonder how she's taking all of this- there are a lot of supportive people, but there seems to be a lot more angry "grossed" out people. That's gotta hurt.

I personally think she looks damn good and I applaud her unveiling of her real body in her post supermodel days.

I think she looks damn good. Her face is still flawless.

Her "tummy" might not be perfect, but she has children and is almost 50. No matter how great of shape you are in, you can not stop the body from aging and skin from sagging.

I hope I look a fraction as good as she does at her age.
    JWL and Callalily like this.

I think she looks great. Ironically, though, there are a lot of middle-aged actresses and models who apparently work their abs, thighs etc. a lot harder. I think it's rather adorable that she apparently has a 'fuck it' attitude about that. She never was a hard body, was she--I'm not particularly a fan so I don't have a mental database about her, but my impression is she was always classically a soft, curvy type.

If she wants to convey any lesson here, it could just be "wear sunscreen and quit sunbathing, the sun is not your pal." I just found out that an old friend of mine is dying of metasticized skin cancer, so I'm super not a fan of extended, recreational sun exposure right now. Tans downright gross me out, including Cindy's. My favorite form of cooking has always been baking, so even when I was a kid I'd look at a suntanned person and just see an overbaked cookie, all brown and shriveled at the edges.

I've heard this pic is from Dec. 2013, so maybe that's why her face looks better to me? I can't remember when she had her shitty eye work, though.
    qwerty likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

why does her skin look so dirty? did they dust her with tin man makeup? she's in a weird angle so her body looks strange, i think she looks fine besides the awful coloring.
    llamamama likes this.

I think this is great and all, but her husband just posted a picture of her in a bikini on instagram. Her belly was smooth and flat and looked and looked nothing like that picture. I'm confused.

I saw that too but he doesn't say that is a recent photo of her.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

i remember seeing pictures of her in a bikini that clearly showed a great body but abs that weren't perfect and showed the signs of having had 2 kids. big deal. she's still much better looking than most people that age but we're so used to celebrities always being retouched that people are shocked when they see something as normal as an almost 50 year-old woman who doesn't have a six pack after 2 pregnancies.
    JWL likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

She looks fine obvs. And I'm sure she has enough self esteem to not give a rat's ass about people getting up in arms over a 40-something woman daring to publish a photo of her loose belly skin.
    Ads and magazines have really gone overboard with the photoshopping, and I would like to think this leads to less photoshop but honestly, it won't make any difference, I think.

Elite Member

Good on Cindy for doing this.. Society is soo/too used to having photoshopped to 'perfection' images shoved in our faces.

Yes Cindy's photo is confronting but also incredibly refreshing.. i love it and she looks awesome.

While I applaud her for doing this, I don't think it will stick. We are spending more time looking at her and applauding her "bravery" than we are looking at the item that she is modelling.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Bronze Member

She doesn't look like that.That body belongs to an old man.

I wonder how she is feeling about this. I see people here saying good for her, but it is my understanding that she had nothing to do with the release of this photo. It's not like she was trying to make a statement.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information