• 8 Post By BITTER
  • 4 Post By Cartermrc
  • 4 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 3 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 3 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By idunno

Thread: Madonna's music is dropped from BBC Radio 1 playlist

Default Madonna's music is dropped from BBC Radio 1 playlist

Get out of the goove! Now Radio 1 bans Madonna, 56, for being 'irrelevant and old' for its teenage listeners

• Radio 1 has banned Madonna for being 'irrelevant and old' for its listeners
    • The 56-year-old singer has been dropped from the station's playlist
    • The singer's latest single has been available since December 20 last year
    • It has only been played on the station ONCE since its release

By CHRIS HASTINGS FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
    PUBLISHED: 22:26, 14 February 2015 | UPDATED: 01:42, 15 February 2015

She has dominated the airwaves during 30 years as a chart-topper, but now Radio 1 has decided that Madonna is an immaterial girl and just too old for its teenage listeners.
    Despite her determined efforts to look – and sound – youthful, the 56-year-old has been dropped from the station’s playlist that determines which songs are played by DJs during the day.
    Madonna’s latest song is Living For Love and has been available for airplay since December 20 last year.

+3

Madonna, pictured, has been placed on the Radio 1 no-play list because at 56 she is too old for their listeners

Yet it has been played on Radio 1 just once – on January 9 when DJ Annie Mac played it on her evening show. But that was after 7pm, when songs not on the playlist can be broadcast.
    The track is the first single from the mother of four’s new album, Rebel Heart. The station last night said the single had been omitted from playlists on the basis of ‘audience relevance’ and ‘musical merit’.

A Radio 1 insider said: ‘At the end of the day it’s all about relevance. It’s natural that as an artist gets older their audience goes elsewhere and Radio 1 has to reflect that.
    ‘The station has a duty to meet the needs of younger listeners. I don’t think the audience is losing sleep that it is not playing Madonna in the same way that it used to.’
    The snub represents a remarkable fall from grace for the star who notched up 13 UK No 1s between 1985 and 2008. She finds herself alongside Sir Cliff Richard, Take That, Kate Bush and Robbie Williams on a long list of artists who struggle to get new material played on the station.

Madonna hints at Grammy performance in revealing outfit

+3

+3

Sir Cliff Richard, left, and Robbie Williams also struggle to get their music played on Radio One

Madonna’s single is being played on Radio 2, which caters for an audience aged over 35. By contrast, Sir Paul McCartney’s new single will be played by Radio 1 even though the former Beatle is 72. This is because the track is a collaboration with rapper Kanye West, 37, and pop mega-star Rihanna, 26.
    A Radio 1 spokesman said: ‘Tracks are chosen on musical merit, and while around 40 per cent of the country’s 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor.’
    Madonna’s spokesman declined to comment.

Read more: Get out of the goove! Now Radio 1 bans Madonna, 56, for being 'irrelevant and old' for its teenage listenersÂ* | Daily Mail Online

I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Haha.
    I'll bet Goopy is steam cleaning the fuck out of that vagina!-MsDark

This reeks of ageism, but I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for her ass...she knew what she signed up for. Her ego led her to believe that she'd always be relevant. But not today, gurl, no...
    SHELLEE, HWBL, rollo and 5 others like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Silver Member

She should just go do the Vegas gig, it's all kinds of tacky there so she would fit right in.

Seriously, after like 100 years, Britain still has only 3 music radio stations?

Elite Member

Just great! Now we'll be subjected to even more desperate attempts from Madonna to stay relevant. I don't know how she can go any lower, but I'm sure she'll find a way.

I don't like Madonna, but this ageist shit still pisses me off. Especially when you know that if she had some huge hit, they'd probably be kissing her weird-looking bubble ass again.

I'm more bothered by the other names this article mentioned. In particular, any station that won't play Kate Bush can go fuck themselves.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Seriously, after like 100 years, Britain still has only 3 music radio stations?
    We have many, many more than that but Radio 1/2/3/4 etc is funded through BBC licensing fees that we all have to pay, whether we watch or listen to the BBC or not.

I haven't listened to Radio 1 for years and years and years anyway. I stick to the commercial stations out there as the music variety is better and the DJ's are still annoying but not the puffed up egotistical bastards that the Beeb seems to adore.
    Kathie_Moffett, levitt and Syd like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

But they don't adore Madonna
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Elite Member

I honestly don't see this as ageism. If you don't have a hit, you don't get played on a hit radio station. Time for Madonna to move to classic pop.
    crayzeehappee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    We have many, many more than that but Radio 1/2/3/4 etc is funded through BBC licensing fees that we all have to pay, whether we watch or listen to the BBC or not.
    I kind of figured you must have a bunch of commercial music stations, which is why I don't understand how this is a big story. We have NPR (government funded), but it never really played music (outside of classical), and most music in the US is heard on commercial stations.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I actually don't know anyone who still listens to R1. Maybe it's an age thing but the music is all very, very samey to me and the DJ's make me want to smash things. There is a serious lack of choice on there - it's all whatever some fart in a suit thinks that the 'kids' are 'hip to' at the moment. Commercial is so much better as you might get 70's disco followed by a 90's pop classic or the latest by Rhianna or whoever.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

Kylie Minogue, the BBC darling has been dropped also. Funny how they never mentioned her in this article.
    The British media seem to hate Madge I personally love how she keeps cropping up to annoy the crap out of them.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

Thread Information