Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Will Smith: Jaden has 1 pair of shoes & ‘refuses to be a slave to money’

Default Will Smith: Jaden has 1 pair of shoes & ‘refuses to be a slave to money’

On fame: “I have the spirit of desire to make people’s lives better. Being famous is such a gift for me because small things make people’s lives brighter. You just shake somebody’s hand. You just smile and write your name and people will talk about it for the rest of their lives.”

On Ferguson: “It’s been rough for me trying to find my position in the struggle and where my voice is needed and helpful. You know, I grew up in Philadelphia, and Philadelphia has a really rough police-brutality history. I grew up in a neighborhood where it was very clear that the police were ‘them’ and we were ‘us.’ I also know that when I was seventeen years old, I had a $20,000 car, which made it certain that I got pulled over all the time. I had a red IROC-Z, the full stereo system and the rims and the paint job.”

On staying “cut” at age 46: “I like to look good, but I like my body to function well more than anything. For me, it’s as spiritual and intellectual as it is physical. And emotional. I enjoy pushing myself. There is nothing like having to change your physical form to put you in contact with every weak part of yourself, to train yourself in discipline. You get confronted with all of the things you’ll be confronted with in your marriage, confronted with in your parenting, confronted with in your job. Put somebody on a treadmill and I’ll tell you how good they are at any other thing they do in life.”

On living like a pseudo monk: It’s such a strange thing. Jaden, my sixteen-year-old, he has one pair of shoes. He has three pair of pants and he has five shirts. Total. He has refused to be a slave to money. I so respect that. The younger generation is less of an ownership generation, anyway. And it’s such an interesting thing to watch, because I came from a middle-class background, but, you know, our lights and gas would be cut off from not paying the bill. I grew up in a house where you would need the kerosene heaters in the winter in case the bills didn’t get paid. And he’s from the complete other end of the spectrum. And it’s so interesting to me that from growing up in that space, he could see the need for things in a way that he’s rejecting. He’s like, ‘I’m not gonna let myself need things in that way’ — but I would like him to get another pair of shoes.”

[From Esquire]

Cele|bitchy | Will Smith: Jaden has 1 pair of shoes & ‘refuses to be a slave to money’

Shut the fuck up. Everything. Just shut up.

Fucking lying douche

On fame, on ferguson, and on staying cut.....you sounds like a Piece of Shit Will Smith. where your voice is helpful? You are an actor. To say out loud that you can give someone your autograph and shake their hand and they will talk about your forever? wow...just wow. Even if it is true, to voice it is just beyond!!!
    SillyME54, KrisNine, HWBL and 1 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm sure it is very easy not to be a slave to money when you are 16 and your parents are worth millions of dollars.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I appreciate this for,it's comedic value.
    ikmccall, Brookie and Bluebonnet like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    On fame, on ferguson, and on staying cut.....you sounds like a Piece of Shit Will Smith. where your voice is helpful? You are an actor. To say out loud that you can give someone your autograph and shake their hand and they will talk about your forever? wow...just wow. Even if it is true, to voice it is just beyond!!!
    Um, it's really not true!
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    He has refused to be a slave to money.
    Too bad he's a slave to scientology instead.

Gold Member

The one pair of shoes is to match the one brain cell.
    Kittylady likes this.

Middle class families back in the day did not have to worry about getting the lights and shit turned off because they couldn't afford it, it's like that today. And yeah, that little shit doesn't have to worry about money for the rest of his life because his parents are rich and so yeah. I like Will, but sometimes he just needs to shut his mouth.

He grew up in a section of Philly that is middle class, and the majority of police officers in Philly, even back then, are black. If he was pulled over it was because he was being a dick, not because of his car. His parents were both always employed. If their power was cut off it would be surprising. Seems that Will is recreating his youth.... I also laugh at his belief that his just smiling at someone is powerful enough to make lives brighter.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I don't know where he grew up but the police in Philly are completely out of control and have been for quite some time. Most of the officers here that I deal with on a daily basis are white, especially the narcotics strike force and field unit. racial profiling is common here and I've had officers admit that on the witness stand. I can't disagree with him saying that he was pulled over because of the car he drove because the Philadelphia police DO act that way, they consistently stop people on pretexts. I don't particularly like him, but I know for a fact that he is right about the police because unfortunately it's my job to win criminal cases for people illegally stopped by the police here. They don't care if you live in a middle class neighborhood, if your parents are employed, or if you're "well spoken." They will harass and beat you regardless, even minors.

The he rest of what he said sounds like BS. But I will say that I looked up Jaden on Google images and many of the pictures do appear to be him in the same shirts/sweatshirts, taken on different dates and locations. But it's easy to be indifferent to money when you know you aren't going to run out of it.

edit: I dont know about the financial situation of his parents, but even middle class people sometimes have to choose between paying utilities or paying their mortgage... he could be telling the truth about that... maybe.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

He is so full of shit. That whole interview, he didn't actually say anything. Nothing. It's almost admirable, his carefully studied and rehearsed his schtick is. That entire family is a product.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Wow, Jaden knows how to save money. Give him a fucking cookie, laced with LSD. Then drop his ass off in the middle of a busy intersection.

Whatever. Don't a lot of teenage boys live in pretty much the same clothes? They wear their one pair of shoes, as well as their one or two favourite tops, until they have more holes than swiss cheese. It also appears as though I'm living my life wrong all these years. I haven't met a celeb who apparently can make my life feel complete by being in their presence for a few moments. Must get onto that.
    Kittylady and lindsaywhit like this.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information