Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Jon Stewart Quits That B*tch

Default Jon Stewart Quits That B*tch

Jon Stewart Will Leave ‘The Daily Show’ on a Career High Note

By DAVE ITZKOFF
    FEB. 10, 2015

Jon Stewart in the offices of “The Daily Show” last year. CreditChad Batka for The New York Times

Jon Stewart, who turned Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” into a sharp-edged commentary on current events, delivering the news in layers of silliness and mockery, said on Tuesday that he would step down after more than 16 years as its anchor.

Mr. Stewart, whose contract with Comedy Central ends in September, disclosed his plans during a taping of the program on Tuesday. Saying that “in my heart, I know it is time for someone else” to have the opportunity he had, Mr. Stewart told his audience that he was still working out the details of his departure, which “might be December, might be July.”

“I don’t have any specific plans,” Mr. Stewart said, addressing the camera at the end of his show, at times seeming close to tears. “Got a lot of ideas. I got a lot of things in my head. I’m going to have dinner on a school night with my family, who I have heard from multiple sources are lovely people.”
    “I’m not going anywhere tomorrow,” Mr. Stewart added, “but this show doesn’t deserve an even slightly restless host, and neither do you.” Comedy Central did not elaborate on the future of the show, except to say that it “will endure for years to come.”

Jon Stewart at a benefit for victims of Hurricane Sandy. His reports were the main source of news for some of his viewers disenchanted with American politics.CreditDamon Winter/The New York Times

In becoming the nation’s satirist in chief, Mr. Stewart imbued the program with a personal sense of justice, even indignation. For a segment of the audience that had lost its faith in broadcast and print news outlets or never regarded them as sacrosanct in the first place, Mr. Stewart emerged a figure as trusted as Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow.

Mr. Stewart, 52, became the host of “The Daily Show” in 1999, entering with the identity of a hard-working standup, if not necessarily an astute political commentator.

A decade and a half later, his satirical sensibility helped turn “The Daily Show,” where he also serves as an executive producer, into an influential platform for news and media commentary, both in the United States and around the world. The program — which averaged a respectable 2.2 million viewers a night last year — has been a humorous release valve for politically frustrated (often left-leaning) viewers and a bÍte noire of (often right-leaning) critics who saw him as a member of the liberal media elite.

As recently as Monday night on the show, Mr. Stewart had been taking aim at the recent scandal that has engulfed the NBC news anchor Brian Williams, a frequent “Daily Show” guest who on Tuesday was suspended without pay for six months. Mr. Stewart cast him as a journalist with a propensity for personal exaggeration and commented on the failure of the news media to thoroughly question the underpinnings of the Iraq War.

Speaking of Mr. Williams, Mr. Stewart said, “See, I see the problem. We got us a case here of infotainment confusion syndrome.”

Noting the widespread media coverage of Mr. Williams’s woes, Mr. Stewart wryly added, “Finally someone is being held to account for misleading America about the Iraq War.”

Created by Lizz Winstead and Madeleine Smithberg, “The Daily Show” had its debut in 1996 with Craig Kilborn, the former “SportsCenter” anchor, gaining buzz for its mixture of “Weekend Update”-style, news-driven comedy and Mr. Kilborn’s sarcastic celebrity interviews.

Under Mr. Stewart, “The Daily Show” made Comedy Central a formidable player in late-night entertainment, a field that had largely belonged to the broadcast networks and programs like David Letterman’s “Late Show” (on CBS) and Jay Leno’s “Tonight Show” (on NBC).

During Mr. Stewart’s tenure, “The Daily Show” won 20 Emmy Awards, including numerous trophies for outstanding variety series and outstanding writing of a variety series. The program also became remarkable for its success rate in boosting the careers of other comedic talents, who generally started out as on-air correspondents on “The Daily Show.” Stephen Colbert used “The Daily Show” to refine his persona as a blowhard commentator and parlay it into his own companion series on Comedy Central, “The Colbert Report.” In April, CBS announced that Mr. Colbert would succeed Mr. Letterman as the host of its “Late Show.”

Steve Carell, who went on to become the lead actor of NBC’s “The Office” and an Academy Award-nominated star of “Foxcatcher,” broke through as a “Daily Show” correspondent under Mr. Stewart. So did John Oliver, now the host of HBO’s news satire program “Last Week Tonight,” and Larry Wilmore, who now hosts Comedy Central’s “Nightly Show,” following “The Daily Show.”

For a generation of television viewers, Mr. Stewart and his “Indecision” coverage of presidential and congressional elections became the satirical prism through which they viewed the American political process. Mr. Stewart spoke for audience members who became jaded about electoral democracy (some before they were old enough to vote) and was often cited as a primary source of information for a viewership that had given up on the staid evening-news programs of the broadcast networks and the shouting-match arenas of cable television.

Whether or not they shared Mr. Stewart’s viewpoints, guests from across the political and media spectrums frequently appeared on “The Daily Show” to promote projects and discuss current events. President Obama gave interviews to Mr. Stewart (including one in October 2012, with that year’s presidential campaign in full swing). So too did former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton; Hillary Rodham Clinton; John McCain; Mike Huckabee; and Nancy Pelosi.

Bill O’Reilly, the host of “The O’Reilly Factor” on Fox News and a frequent critic of Mr. Stewart’s, was nonetheless a willing and able sparring partner, and often appeared on “The Daily Show” or invited Mr. Stewart onto his show for boisterous debates.

Mr. Stewart saw no need to pretend to be a neutral host, and sometimes confronted his targets on their home turf.

The only reason you mock something is when it doesn’t live up to the ideal,” Mr. Stewart said. “There’s a huge difference between what these journalists are doing on the ground, and the perversion of it that is the 24-hour news networks.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/ar...show.html?_r=0

I love him and hope he does some other program.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Elite Member

I don't know how I'm gonna get through the 2016 elections without him (and Colbert).
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't know how I'm gonna get through the 2016 elections without him (and Colbert).
    I KNOW!!!!!!!!!

I can't stand Samantha Bee and her husband on the Daily Show. Most of the really fun crew have already left. Jon is the rock that holds that show together. And now he's going, too. BOOOHOOOHOOHOOOHOO.
    arie_skop likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I was just starting to get over Colbert leaving, and now this. Life just keeps getting less funny.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

Runs screaming to corner
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

i hear Brian Williams is looking for a job................and he does have a background in fake news

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    i hear Brian Williams is looking for a job................and he does have a background in fake news
    The scary thing is The Daily Show is a lot more truthful and insightful than most "real" news programs.

I wish they would hire Brian Williams. Gold.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

My15 year old has just discovered the daily show and now stays up with me to watch it. He's devastated and says he'll cherish every episode left with Jon Stewart.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I just don't see a Daily Show without Stewart.

I refuse to believe

I realize I am the only person on Planet Earth who has never watched his show, but I would love to see Brian Williams take over, too.

Never watched Jon? I don't understand. Crushed about this. A Dear Jon Letter: A TV Writer's TV Marriage Suddenly Ends¬*|¬*David S. Simon
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I loved his line that he wants "to eat dinner on school nights with my family, who, I've heard from multiple sources are lovely people.”
    Kittylady likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Miss him even before he's gone. He's not going to be easy to replace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information