Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Singer Sophie B. Hawkins Pregnant at 50

Default Singer Sophie B. Hawkins Pregnant at 50

Sophie B. Hawkins
    will be welcoming a new addition to her family this July.

The singer who is already mom to a 6-year-old son, Dashiell is pregnant with a baby girl after being implanted with her own frozen embryo (sperm was provided by a donor).
    I found Dashiell really needs a sibling, Hawkins tells PEOPLE of her decision to have another child. My son has one parent whos 50. I want him to have a family of young people too!

Before becoming pregnant, Hawkins faced fears because of her age and the fact that she is newly single.

I went through waking up crying and saying, Am I too old? Will I suddenly at 51 have my knees give out?' she admits. Now I dont have any of those fears because I feel healthy and strong. Im also setting up a good net of support, and thats the key to anybody having a child.
    Hawkins says her age was not a concern for doctors because she had frozen embryos at the age of 31, was in good physical health and had a healthy first child.

For me, the main decision was emotional, she says. Ive been wanting to have a child since Dashiell was 1, but I was working too much and there was a lot going on in my relationship.

The Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover singer, who identifies as omnisexual, says now she is more than ready to raise a baby alone.
    I interviewed a lot of divorced women and they said, Its so much easier to do it alone. You dont have the pressure or the criticism or judgment of someone else. Of course then you ask, Will I miss the emotional support? Well, to tell you the truth, Im getting that more from my friends than I ever got in a relationship.
    After a rough first trimester due to morning sickness, Hawkins is back to feeling like herself.
    Im in the glorious second trimester so I forget Im pregnant, and its really nice, she says. I still exercise the same, work the same, do everything the same.

Both she and Dashiell are eagerly awaiting the new arrival to their family.
    He asks me every day he named her Bubblegum when is Bubblegum coming out?

http://celebritybabies.people.com/2015/02/06/sophie-b-hawkins-pregnant-second-child-daughter/

Elite Member

Wow. Well, good for her!

She's out of her mind.

I had my last kid at 35. Should have done it ten years earlier because forgodsake he's still here.
    *DIVA!, mostroop, qwerty and 16 others like this.

I weep at the thought of birthing kids at 50.

But hey, good for her for having the forethought to freeze embryos at 31. That was smart, cause my shit sure ain't working.

I guess I'm not too late Although, I didn't freeze anything.

A*O

Me me me me me........
    rollo, LaFolie, effie2 and 1 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Fuck that shit.

Er, I mean... congrats to her.
    LaFolie, nwgirl, Honey and 1 others like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I weep at the thought of birthing kids at 50.

But hey, good for her for having the forethought to freeze embryos at 31. That was smart, cause my shit sure ain't working.
    i thought i would weep at me having kids a 45, but it worked out ok. you never know what's out there for you ....

It's not the birthing of a baby, it's the raising for the next twenty years or so. Come back and tell us it was great at 70 and the kids loved it too.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Good for her. She'll prolly be a better and involved parent than the younger ones who just want to go out and party so the kids are literally raised by their grandparents. Sometimes kids are not planned or social pressures made younger parents feel like they're supposed to have kids right away, when they weren't ready (e.g. emotionally, financially or they just want to travel around the damn world and live life!!). I mean poor Caylee Anthony ended up dead 'cos her mom felt she hindered her from her partying.

Doesn't mean ALL younger parents were present and 'there' for their children their entire lives as well.
    Go Habs Go!!

Honestly, I don't see a huge difference between me and mothers that are 20 years younger than me. My MIL and my own mother are in their mid sixties and they both do a pretty good job of keeping up with my daughter. Sure, they aren't running laps with her (neither am I and neither are the 25/30 year old mom's I know), but I don't see the big deal anymore. Before it happened to me I thought older parents had a disadvantage, but in most areas I don't see it. I've got more patience, more money, more stability, etc.

I agree. Its not the age. I know people that are older but have loads of energy and put in an effort with their kids. Just being young doesn't make one a better parent. And not everyone is frail and worn out by 40, just as not everyone that is 27 is full of energy and engaged with their kids. Some are, some aren't, but age isn't the deciding factor.

And I think if you check in with kids of older parents in 20 years we'd find they loved it and their parents too, if they had good parents. Same as we'd find if we asked the kids of younger parents.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I know I would have never been the mother I am if I had had a child younger instead of waiting until 40. (THE EGGS!)

That being said, almost once a day my body wishes I hadn't waited so long. I'm fit, but dang if this 3 year old doesn't just plain wear me the fuck out.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

ITA. I find it insulting when people judge others who become parents later in life. I personally would not want an infant again now in my 50s but that is because my child is in her 20s, and step kids are in their 30s and becoming parents themselves. However, if I had started later, or still had young kids, I could absolutely see having more kids. I have a few friends with kids in college who now have toddlers and they are very happy. Life is different for all of us.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    It's not the birthing of a baby, it's the raising for the next twenty years or so. Come back and tell us it was great at 70 and the kids loved it too.
    frankly, i worry about that, too. but right now they are six and together we hike the local trail with 700+ steps, walk to and from school every day, go ice skating for hours, etc etc. i feel like i am in good shape and can keep up with them. and i'm more patient now than i was in my 20s, so don't roll my eyes when they ask the same question a zillion times. i sit and do homework with them, make their meals, and do other things a mom in her 20s does.

all from the confines of my wheelchair. i roll around with all the other seniors.
    sluce, KrisNine, mtlebay and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information