Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Dave Navarro Speaks Out About His Mother's Murder

Default Dave Navarro Speaks Out About His Mother's Murder

Dave Navarro opened up about his very personal connection to domestic violence while speaking to HuffPost Live on Monday, Dec. 15. In 1983, the guitarist's mother Connie Navarro was murdered by a vengeful ex-boyfriend, when Dave was just 15 years old.
    "My mother was in a relationship, the relationship ended," the Jane's Addiction founder and the former Red Hot Chili Peppers band member, 47, recalled to host Ricky Camilleri. "She wanted to go a different way, and her then-ex-boyfriend murdered her and my aunt."

He justified why he would call his mother's murder a form of domestic violence. "Sometimes it's hard to link domestic violence with murder because it's such a broad jump," Navarro reflected. "Except it is a domestically violent situation and probably the worst-case scenario in a domestically violent world."
    Navarro recently connected with Law and Order: SVU actress Mariska Hargitay, who has taken the lead on the "No More" campaign against domestic violence, which features numerous celebrities in its PSA including him. "I appeared on an episode of Law and Order: SVU," Navarro said. "I've had somewhat of a connection in that word and I got asked to be a part of this. Of course, I jumped at it with my history."

He explained that his mission was to reach as many victims of domestic violence as possible. "The situation with my family was in the '80s. We didn't have PSAs like this, we didn't have the Internet," Navarro said Monday. "We didn't have have the means of communication that we have today, and we didn't have such a broad reach in terms of getting a message out. So of course I'm happy to be a part of that."

Navarro, who was famously married to Carmen Electra for three years until 2006, said his latest work includes a feature-length documentary that tells the story of his late mother. "A lot of this trauma is what we're talking about," he said of the aftermath of domestic violence. "A lot of trauma survivors have the cloud of trauma with them forever. Part of my process was to get into this traumatic event as deeply as I could."
    Navarro said the coping process through his latest project has been helpful. "I don't know if there's ever a day when you're repaired," he candidly confessed. "[But] to have a deeper emotional understanding, to have a deeper psychological understanding, I definitely feel more at peace for sure."

Read more: Dave Navarro Opens Up About His Mother's Murder - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

wow, what a horrible thing. and to think he was just 15 when that happened.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

It is horrific, but I am glad that he's working through his feelings about it. I'm also glad that he's speaking out against domestic violence. I agree that many people think of domestic violence as slapping or punching but it can and does end in death sometimes. I'm glad that he's trying to educate the public about it.
    Kittylady and Lalasnake like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^^ Thank you for not calling him an attention whore. I am glad Dave is speaking out and hopefully along the way, finding peace with it through education and using today's means of technology.
    Go Habs Go!!

I had no idea this happened to him. How awful to lose his mom and his aunt.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I've read that the most dangerous time for women in abusive relationships are when they leave the abuser. The abusers mentality is "If I can't have you, nobody can." Too many stories end that way. I didn't know this had happened to his mom.The documentary is a great way to honor his mom.
    Kittylady likes this.

Elite Member

I remember reading about this a few years back. IIRC, the killer was on the run for 8 years after and was caught after "America's Most Wanted" aired a segment on him.

I don't find it attention whore-y in the least. What a horrible way to lose your mom. I also hope his activism and public education on the subject help him find some peace.
    sparkles, Kittylady, rollo and 4 others like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Boston mass, I now reside in the WHITE MOUNTAINS NH

Wow right? This def was an awful thing that he has been dealing with for years.
    I read his book years ago and loved it. [don't try this at home]
    Him and I had a few precious moments chatting long ago. We spoke of how we cope and deal with our loved one being so brutaly murdered.
    I suggested a book i was reading to him.
    It was called "what murder leaves behind"

We have that one awful thing in common. My brother was brutaly murdered back in 1986.
    He was only 26 years old. If you haven't read his book and if you're a fan you should check it out.
    I have always been a fan of his. He is a bit snooty but i love him.

I've always liked Dave and I had absolutely no idea his mother was murdered. I will be sure to be on the lookout for his docu.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Poor guy. I had no idea this happened.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    ^^ Thank you for not calling him an attention whore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I don't find it attention whore-y in the least. What a horrible way to lose your mom. I also hope his activism and public education on the subject help him find some peace.
    I'm confused, why would anyone think this is attention whore-y?
    I like him too and also didn't know about this. Very sad.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I'm so glad he's speaking out about this and I can't imagine anyone thinking that what happened to his mother wasn't domestic violence.

In the past couple days in the Philly area, we've had a man kill his ex-wife, her grandmother, her mother, her sister, her sister's husband and their daughter. Everyone in the apartment complex where the ex-wife lived said that she told them that he was going to kill her and her friends said that she took all the "appropriate measures, went through all the channels" but he still killed her anyway.
    I don't know what their kids are going to do as their father killed every family member their mother had. It's really tragic and it happens all the time. I don't know what the answer is, lock the guy up when he makes threats? Move far away? There was a custody battle going on, so maybe when that happens you can't move. Maybe she should have been armed herself but the whole situation is just so tragic. I didn't know that Mariska Hargitay has a foundation addressing this issue, that's great, at least people are speaking out.

^^ did you hear that they found the guy dead this morning? I knew he was going to kill himself before they caught up to him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    ^^ did you hear that they found the guy dead this morning? I knew he was going to kill himself before they caught up to him.
    It was with a sword, too, wasn't it? I'm hoping he committed sepuku -- vile idiot forgot that as part of the ceremony, you are supposed to have someone standing by to behead you so you don't suffer too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information