• 5 Post By faithanne
  • 9 Post By Yellowjacket
  • 3 Post By Shinola
  • 3 Post By idunno
  • 12 Post By sputnik
  • 3 Post By NoNoRehab
  • 4 Post By gas_chick
  • 3 Post By Tati

Thread: Maisie Williams Criticizes Emma Watson's Brand of "First-World Feminism"

Default Maisie Williams Criticizes Emma Watson's Brand of "First-World Feminism"

Game of Thrones actress Maisie Williams took issue with Emma Watson's United Nations speech on gender equality, telling The Guardian that it represents a kind of "first-world feminism"Credit: Ian Gavan/Getty Images; Michael Tran/FilmMagic

Game on. Emma Watson got a lot of buzz for her speech on gender equality at the United Nations on Sept. 20, but at least one fellow female star wasn't all that impressed. Game of Thrones actress Maisie Williams told The Guardian recently that she thought Watson's remarks took kind of a narrow view on feminism.
    "We talk about actor Emma Watson's recent U.N. speech, in which she talked about her reasons for becoming a feminist, and the need for men to be onside; Williams says she is impatient with this kind of 'first-world feminism,'" Guardian writer Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett wrote of the 17-year-old Brit.

"A lot of what Emma Watson spoke about, I just think, 'That doesn't bother me,'" Williams told the paper. "I know things aren't perfect for women in the UK and in America, but there are women in the rest of the world who have it far worse."
    Watson, 24, received a standing ovation for her headline-making speech at the U.N., in which she addressed the ever-present gender gap between men and women.
    "I am from Britain and I think it is right that I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body," the Harry Potter alum argued at the time. "I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and the decisions that affect my life. I think it is right that socially, I am afforded the same respect as men. But sadly, I can say that there is no one country in the world where all women can expect to receive these rights."

Williams doesn't necessarily disagree with any of those arguments but thinks there are other priorities. "There are creepy things that people say online that I shouldn't have to read," she told The Guardian, "but there are bigger things going on in other countries."

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/maisie-williams-criticizes-emma-watsons-first-world-feminism-20141512

Read more: Maisie Williams Criticizes Emma Watson's "First-World Feminism" - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Oh dear. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt because she's young, but "there are worse things happening in the world" is never an excuse to do nothing about problems right in front of you, no matter how insignificant you perceive them to be.

Emma had better watch out though. Ser Ilin, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei, Dunsen and Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, the Tickler and the Hound, Hermione. Just doesn't sound right.
    kasippu, Kittylady, *Kat* and 2 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Gold Member

There are worse things in the world is an excuse to do nothing.

This is the same twit that acted like an ass on an airplane. She needs to STFU.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Before you run your yap: Do your research, Arya.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Envy will make you sound stupid every time.

Until Maisie Williams actually goes to a third-world country to work with disempowered women there, could she please stop trying to invalidate another woman's valid approach to feminism. Thx.
    lucy80, Lalasnake and Kittylady like this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

Why not care about both 1st world and 3rd world feminism? People with more than two brain cells to rub together are able to care about several issues at once.
    Kittylady, Yoko Ono and Lalasnake like this.

and this is why feminism hasn't achieved half as much as gay rights causes, even though we're an "older" cause. it's this kind of bullshit, counter-productive infighting that not only hurts all women but also doesn't help to detract from the image people already have of feminists as shrill, man-hating harpies.
    whether it's bitching about 1st world feminism vs. 3rd world feminism, or black feminists bitching that white feminists think only white women matter and that who cares what white women want because black women have it so much worse, it's infuriating and is why i need to take a break from feminist circles because i don't have the patience for that much bullshit.

to sum up: yay feminism! too bad women are ruining it.
    Sialia, *Kat*, dowcat and 9 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I knew everything when I was 17, too.
    BrickHouse, greysfang and Jazzy like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

I knew everything too but I was right.
    Jazzy, GRuser1, sputnik and 1 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and this is why feminism hasn't achieved half as much as gay rights causes, even though we're an "older" cause. it's this kind of bullshit, counter-productive infighting that not only hurts all women but also doesn't help to detract from the image people already have of feminists as shrill, man-hating harpies.
    whether it's bitching about 1st world feminism vs. 3rd world feminism, or black feminists bitching that white feminists think only white women matter and that who cares what white women want because black women have it so much worse, it's infuriating and is why i need to take a break from feminist circles because i don't have the patience for that much bullshit.

to sum up: yay feminism! too bad women are ruining it.
    You are so right. Women are feminism's worst enemy. We are so busy criticizing and belittling each other that we can't seem to come together and work for the common good of all women.

Ugh. "Feminism: You're doing it wrong!" should just not be a thing.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information