Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Jennifer Aniston ‘frustrated’ by being ‘stereotyped’ as a comedienne

Default Jennifer Aniston ‘frustrated’ by being ‘stereotyped’ as a comedienne

She’s so happy to be talking about work: “I can’t tell you how refreshing it is to be in a conversation that has to do with something other than trite, silly, you know, ‘Are you pregnant?’ ‘When are you this?’ ‘What’s your hair doing?’ You know, or, ‘You’re just a rom-com person!’ Anything just to have a discussion about the work!”

Her future as a dramatic actress: “I want to make great films. I just want to be working with great directors, doing great stories, not just sitting in that one little category. I understand having to earn your way. I also understand earning people’s trust that you are able to do it. It’s a catch-22. It’s like, well, you have to let me do it to show you, but you won’t let me do it because I’m in that category.”

Her early days in LA, working on pilots that never went anywhere: “I was thrilled to work! I was working more than any of my friends, and I was working way more than I did in New York City. I was like, “Great, I’ve got a great job. Come to it, go.” So when you don’t have any kind of awareness of that, there’s no barometer. I was just happy to be working.

Being seen as only a comedic actress: “I mean, and it’s been a frustrating thing, because — look, I love what I do. I love every job I’ve had, whether they’ve bombed or been successes — and thankfully, we’ve had more successes than we’ve had failures. But it’s like I was saying: I feel like every actor, or at least the ones that are maybe stereotyped, maybe like myself, or put into a category of “They’re this or they’re not, we’ll keep it that” — you know, there’s always this actor wanting to get out. We’re all closeted actors like, wanting to do that other part, because we have access to that ability because that’s what we do. We’re actors. So you have to kind of bang your drum a little louder or go get it yourself or go make it yourself, because there is a little bit of a, “No, we don’t see you in that light, and I don’t trust you.” That’s why it’s so fabulous, these young filmmakers actually find it exciting to go, “Let me put this person, not the expected choice, in that.”

Making a film about chronic pain: “Well, what’s interesting is in the Q&A last night — I did a Q&A and this woman said something to the effect of, “I live with chronic pain, and a lot of people think we’re faking it, and we’re not. We are in severe pain. It took everything in my body, my power to get here tonight, because I wanted to see this movie.” I’ve been getting so much of that, of people saying, “Thank you for portraying it so beautifully,” which couldn’t be a higher compliment to me, because I didn’t want a false note in any of it. I was trying to do something I had no connection, — realistic connection — to, basing it on knowing people and feeling their pain. But also, chronic pain isn’t something that you can diagnose because it’s really a patient to patient sort of declaration of, “I have pain.” You can’t sort of, you know, give the test and say, “You, in fact, do have chronic pain.” There are people out there who are kind of just playing it up because they want the drugs.

Being called ‘brave’ for going without makeup: “That’s so funny, how that’s so “brave.” I understand it, though. It’s Hollywood.”

[From The Hollywood Reporter]

Cele|bitchy | Jennifer Aniston ‘frustrated’ by being ‘stereotyped’ as a comedienne

I never think of her as a comedian. She's more rom com isn't she?

The only movie I've ever seen her in is "Office Space," and she was only "meh" to me in that. Now that I think about it, that movie is the only thing I've ever seen her in. I had no interest in "Friends" and I pretty much hate rom cons.
    Palermo and She's a Rainbow like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

^This exactly.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

She plays Rachel in everything she's in.

I liked her in Rock Star.
    mopar likes this.

i remember when Farrah Fawcett had a similar problem after Charlie's Angels. Then she did Burning Bed. She was awesome in that.
    sluce likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

Jen needs to go out of her comfort zone and do more dramatic roles if she wants to be taken seriously. But i'm wondering if she isn't getting any serious offers for those, the industry and the public have typecast her for decades.
    Farrah had the guts to try something totally different from her usual banal roles.

Gold Member

She has done a few good movies outside of romcom, but she's not a drama actress.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i remember when Farrah Fawcett had a similar problem after Charlie's Angels. Then she did Burning Bed. She was awesome in that.
    Great example MsDeb, also Extremities was a very serious role for Farrah too, wasn't it?

And Cartermrc, Yes Jennifer certainly is stuck in her comfort zone.. She got great reviews for her performance in 'The Good Girl'.. but it's as though she can't seem to find that passion and enthusiasm anymore.

I don't get the "Oh, she's Rachel in everything" criticisms. She's done some parts where she plays takes on the same character but there are films where she has spread her wings a little. And it's not just in The Good Girl. Don't tell me that her hilarious turn in Horrible Bosses is anything like Rachel. Don't tell me that her dramatic character in Derailed which was a flawed film but she had a fantastic performance was just Rachel redux. Don't tell me that her dramatic scenes in Marley and me were badly acted or that she did a bad job in He's not that into you where her scenes where she's asking Ben Affleck's character if he's ever going to marry her are just beyond heartbreaking. And in the Break Up there were moments of uncomfortable truth and pain beyond all the hype of that part and movie which was falsely billed as a comedy.

I know that if you've gotten your mind made up about an actor there isn't much that can be done. And sometimes actors are just typecast and there's no way around it. I saw a film where a character played by the late Leslie Nielsen sexually assaults Barbra Streisand's character. Poor Nielsen acted the part perfectly and I couldn't stop laughing. It immediately got me out of the movie. So I do see it but I still think it's very unfair. [/jenfesto]

Gold Member

I think part of the problem is she's so firmly wedded to her image. Blonde straight hair in her face, great body dressed to show off but the same type of clothes each time. Very similar RomCom roles even that mess with Gerald Butler. She isn't exactly putting it out there than she wants to change directions.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't get the "Oh, she's Rachel in everything" criticisms. She's done some parts where she plays takes on the same character but there are films where she has spread her wings a little. And it's not just in The Good Girl. Don't tell me that her hilarious turn in Horrible Bosses is anything like Rachel. Don't tell me that her dramatic character in Derailed which was a flawed film but she had a fantastic performance was just Rachel redux. Don't tell me that her dramatic scenes in Marley and me were badly acted or that she did a bad job in He's not that into you where her scenes where she's asking Ben Affleck's character if he's ever going to marry her are just beyond heartbreaking. And in the Break Up there were moments of uncomfortable truth and pain beyond all the hype of that part and movie which was falsely billed as a comedy.

I know that if you've gotten your mind made up about an actor there isn't much that can be done. And sometimes actors are just typecast and there's no way around it. I saw a film where a character played by the late Leslie Nielsen sexually assaults Barbra Streisand's character. Poor Nielsen acted the part perfectly and I couldn't stop laughing. It immediately got me out of the movie. So I do see it but I still think it's very unfair. [/jenfesto]
    i love your post Yanna!

i forget that she has done some very different roles... i guess the problem is not only being typecast but also having her (or any actor/actresses) private life being made so public for so long that i can't see them as anything other than themselves (my brain is stuffed).

Another example that comes to mind is Tom Cruise. Because he was such a drongo with Scientology and jumping on Oprah's poor couch with the whole Katie Holmes saga.. i just can't see him as anyone else other than 'Tom Cruise' when he acts in movies.

Please don't get wrong, i have nothing against these people or their craft.. (i'm just an idiot.. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Cartermrc View Post
    Jen needs to go out of her comfort zone and do more dramatic roles if she wants to be taken seriously. But i'm wondering if she isn't getting any serious offers for those, the industry and the public have typecast her for decades.
    Farrah had the guts to try something totally different from her usual banal roles.

She just did. Hence the interview talking about her being typecast. And she's received a SAG and Golden Globe Nomination for it.

She should shut it about "oh thank god this interview isn't about my hair," as it seems she's the one who brought it up! Her personal life has kept her in the spot light and if she wants to change that to talking about her career, have one. And stop referencing the past.
    rollo, Beeyotch and lindsaywhit like this.

I liked her in the film where she played the depressive misfit in a group of rich friends, can't remember what it's called but she was the total opposite of her perky Rachel character.
    Butterfly likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information