Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: The Duchess of Alba Dead: The World's Most Titled Aristocrat Dies At Age 88

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default The Duchess of Alba Dead: The World's Most Titled Aristocrat Dies At Age 88

Duchess of Alba has died - hellomagazine.com

Spain's flamboyant Duchess of Alba dies aged 88
    20 NOVEMBER 2014 The Duchess of Alba, the flamboyant Spanish aristocrat who lived life by her own rules, has died, aged 88. She had suffered from health problems for some years, but the sense of loss and shock is still palpable in a country where the duchess commanded the kind of awe reserved for the likes of the Queen Mother and Elizabeth Taylor.

The Duchess of Alba has died aged 88

Her passing was confirmed by the mayor of Seville, the city where she spent the last years of her life. He said the duchess "always held a place in her heart for Seville and so she will always be remembered in the heart of Seville."

Her husband Alfonso Diez was by her side along with her six children, who have been keeping vigil ever since their matriarch was admitted to hospital suffering from pneumonia. On Wednesday, the duchess was taken home to spend her last hours in the 16th-century palace, which was her matrimonial home with Alfonso, her third husband.

Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart held more titles than the Queen, had a fortune estimated at £3billion, and was said to be able to cross Spain from north to south without leaving her estates.

Her vast wealth was put in the shade only by by her colossal reputation as a woman who lived life to the full. Cayetana outlived two husbands, remarried at the grand age of 85, and counted famous celebrities like Tom Cruise, Sophia Loren and Jackie Kennedy among her acquaintances.

Photo: © Getty Images

The duchess meeting Prince Charles with her daughter Eugenia and son Cayetano

The Duchess of Alba was a descendant of King James II of England, through his illegitimate son James Fitz-James, Duke of Berwick whose mother was Arabella Churchill, the sister of the Duke of Marlborough.

Aside from the dukedom of Alba, of which she was the 18th holder, Cayetana was a duchess seven times over, a countess 19 times and a marquesa 23 times.

In pictures: Duchess' incredible wedding ends with jig

She was born on 28 March, 1926 in her family's lavish home in Madrid, Liria Palace, which housed some 249 paintings by artists including Rembrandt, Goya, Van Dyck and Rubens, as well as the Alba Bible which dates back to 1430.

Cayetana with third husband Alfonso Diez

Known for her striking looks, the society darling was once asked by Picasso to become his muse – an offer she declined because "being a model is horrible".

After Liria Palace burned down during the Spanish Civil of 1936-9, she spent some years helping her father rebuild it.

When Cayetana married naval officer Don Pedro Luis Martinez de Irujo y Artacoz, son of the Duke of Sotomayor, in 1947 the wedding rivalled that of the Queen Elizabeth's to Prince Philip, which took place a month later. The bride walked down the aisle in an opulent lace dress with a full skirt and the glittering diamond and pearl Alba tiara, atop her head.

The duchess with her son Cayetano on her wedding day in 2011

The union produced five sons and a daughter and lasted 25 years until his death in 1972.

Spain's Dancing Duchess turns 87 years young

Her next marriage in 1978 shocked Spanish society. The groom was controversial former Jesuit priest Jesus Aguirre y Ortiz de Zaráte, an intellectual whose work was banned by the Franco dictatorship. He too died in 2001, making her a widow for the second time.

There was more controversy to come when the duchess wed Alfonso, a civil servant 25 years her junior, in 2011. She had known him for 30 years through her second husband – although romance only blossomed after a chance meeting at the cinema.

Impervious to the raised eyebrows, she described him as "a fantastic person", adding: "He has completely changed my life".

Millions of Spaniards tuned in to see to see TV coverage of the groom arriving at Seville's Las Dueñas Palace, Cayetana's 16th-century Andalusian base.

'He has completely changed me life': Cayetana on Alfonso

The Renaissance estate which covers 9,542 square metres in the heart of the city, was a focal point for supporters wearing traditional dress and white wigs in reference to her curly hairstyle.

After the ceremony, the newlywed duchess came outside to get the fiesta started, kicking off her shoes in abandon as she danced in front of well-wishers, while her husband looked on indulgently. Till the end that gusto ahd love for life remained.

"I confess I am thinking of keeping on living," said the Duchess of Alba recently. "Although it's only so I can enjoy the expression on people's faces when I point at them and say "I'm going to bury you all".

Duchess of Alba has died - hellomagazine.com
    Last edited by dougie; November 20th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    snoopqueen likes this.

Look!!! the face Kimye will have in 20 years time
    firebrat1229 and rollo like this.

Aww, I always had a soft spot for that crazy bitch.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

The Duchess of Alba has died aged 88 - hellomagazine.com

Duchess of Alba dies: the extraordinary life of Spain's most famous aristocrat in pictures

The Duchess of Alba, Spain's wealthiest – and most colourful – aristocrat has died. She was descended from British royalty and held more titles than the Queen but her ancient heritage and multi-million euro fortune never stopped her from being ahead of the times.

Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart married three times, once to a former priest and another time to a dashing civil servant 25 years her junior in a ceremony followed on national TV. The duchess outlived two of those husbands, never losing her zest for life. Well into her 80s, she would stand out in a crowd, dazzling because of her exuberance and wonderful bohemian outfits, topped off with her signature curls.
    The aristocrat was a descendant of King James II of England, through his illegitimate son James Fitz-James, Duke of Berwick whose mother was Arabella Churchill, the sister of the Duke of Marlborough. Photo: © Getty Images

Her playful sense of style, her titles and joie de vivre meant the aristocrat was rarely off the front covers. On the right is her second marriage to Jesus Aguirre y Ortiz de Zaráte in 1978.

Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart had previously wed Luis Martinez de Irujo y Artacoz in October 1947. The nuptials in Seville Cathedral rivalled Queen Elizabeth II's for grandeur. Photo: © Rex

He was the son of the Duke of Sotomayor and their lavish ceremony united two of the country's most noble clans.The New York Times described the occasion as "the most expensive wedding in the world".

Their union produced six children – five sons and a daughter – for the duchess who was the most titled person in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records with 40 titles. Photo: © Rex

Cayetana (left) receiving debutantes at a ball in 1966 along with Jackie Kennedy and Princess Grace of Monaco. Photo: © Getty Images

As the 18th holder of the Dukedom of Alba, she saw herself as the guardian of the family legacy and its many precious artefacts. The Liria Palace in Madrid alone housed hundreds of works by artists such as Rembrandt, Rubens and Goya. Photo: © Rex

Her godmother was Queen Victoria Eugenie, the great-grandmother of the country's reigning King Felipe. Cayetana seen with the current monarch's mother Queen Sofia. Photo: © Getty Images

Often a guest in the Royal Palace, she graced this reception for Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in 2011. Photo: © Getty Images

Cayetana accompanied Camilla to a flamenco performance during the British royal visit to Spain. Photo: © Getty Images

Despite her family's ancient heritage, Cayetana always moved with the times. She became friendly with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz when the stars were in Seville filming 2010 action comedy Knight and Day . Photo: © Getty Images

Her third wedding in 2011 was covered live on national TV, with the bride dancing her way through the proceedings. Photo: © Getty Images

The groom was Alfonoso Diez, a civil servant 25 years her junior. Cayetana was unapologetic about living her life to the full until the very end. Photo: © Getty Images

Into her 80s the duchess was still showing her daring fashion sense. (Right) In her ancestral home Liria Palace with her beloved Alfonso, whom she described as a "fantastic person". "He has completely changed my life."

The Duchess of Alba has died aged 88 - hellomagazine.com
    Brookie likes this.

Awesome articles up there! I only know her from GR. RIP.
    Liza and snoopqueen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Aww, I always had a soft spot for that crazy bitch.
    Me too. RIP.
    Sassiness likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I didn't take time to read the article, but I take it she had major plastic surgery done? She was an pretty nice looking young woman,...why do people deform themselves with that shit?? She looks like that cat lady.
    OCD, rollo and HWBL like this.

Rip!!!

Her face died many years before the rest of her. RIP.
    HWBL, sluce, Angeli and 6 others like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

This is exactly the kind of crazy rich life people should lead...she didn't give two f's about it. She loved wildly, she spent money like she had an endless supply (and she basically did) and she danced like a fool...a rich fool! I love me some of her!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by kasippu View Post
    Look!!! the face Kimye will have in 20 years time
    Given Kim's plastic surgery trajectory, she'll be lucky to look like that in 20 years. She's already cat faced.
    firebrat1229 likes this.

She had a pretty rocking body for an octogenarian who had SIX kids!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

fgg

i just assumed that she always had an um...breathtaking beauty about her but the pictures of her as a younger woman aren't bad at all. how does one's face get to look like that?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

All below from Michael K's eulogy on dlisted:

Dlisted | The World Is A Lot Less Brighter Today

and one from a commenter that I thought was lovely-

Last edited by needmeds; November 20th, 2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added photo

^That's what I thought too, it's such a drastic change, she doesn't bear much resemblance to her younger photos, like AT ALL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information