Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Reese Witherspoon: Renee Zellweger face jokes "cruel and rude"

Default Reese Witherspoon: Renee Zellweger face jokes "cruel and rude"

Jason Merritt/ Getty Images

Reese Witherspoon has got Renee Zellweger's back.
    After intense media speculation about the drastically different look the 45-year-old Bridget Jones' Diary star sported in October, Reese blasted the haters during The Hollywood Reporter's recent actress roundtable.
    "It's horrible," Reese, 38, said bluntly about Renee's treatment. "It's cruel and rude and disrespectful, and I can go on and on and on. It bothers me immensely."

She also blasted women who "tear other women down."
    "I know this is so Pollyanna of me, but why -- and it's particularly women -- why do they have to tear women down?" she lamented. "And why do we have to tear other women down to build another woman up? It drives me crazy. Like, this one looks great without her makeup but that one doesn't look good without her makeup, and it's all just a judgment and assault that I don't -- look, men are prey to it as well. I just don't think it's with the same sort of ferocity."

Renee herself commented in October on all the media attention about her speculated plastic surgery, crediting her changed appearance to a happier life.
    "I'm glad folks think I look different! I'm living a different, happy, more fulfilling life, and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows," she told People.
    Though Renee's treatment isn't the only thing the recently more candid than ever Reese is opening up about.
    Reese has been getting plenty of Oscar buzz for her new role as a heroin addict in Wild, and admitted that having to do a sex scene with two guys is her bravest moment yet as an actress.

"I called Cheryl Strayed [the woman Wild is based on] that night, and I was like, 'I can't believe I have to do that,'" she said. "And she was like, 'Sorry I was such a slut in the '90s!' Laura [Dern] was on the set because she's an apparition, watching me. She had to literally watch me, and she told me a great story that helped me get through that."
    And if you're wondering just what type of story would ease Reese's nerves in a situation like that, luckily, Laura was on hand to tell it.
    Laura recalled shooting a love scene in the 1996 film Citizen Ruth -- in which she plays a drug-addicted pregnant woman in the middle of an abortion debate -- with a man director Alexander Payne simply "picked up at the bar down the street."
    "He came in and he was like, 'I am so excited to be here! I just went down to the 7-Eleven and I got some Arrid Extra Dry and some breath mints. Let's go!'" Laura recalls. "I'm just like, 'Oh my God, day one of Citizen Ruth.'"
    Earlier this month, Reese told ET all about her role in Wild, which is quite possibly the most challenging of her career to date.

http://www.etonline.com/news/154135_reese_witherspoon_blasts_renee_zellweger_cr itics/

I am actually surprised that she knows the meaning of the word ferocity.

I'm glad she spoke out. Good for you, Reese.... and I choose to believe your reasons were overwhelmingly pure.
    Lily Bleu likes this.

Gold Member

"Perhaps it shows"????? Yes, your eye lift and Botox most definitely shows. THAT is why people make comments. Joan Rivers was super jacked and looooved talking about her surgery. Don't treat people like fools and maybe people won't make cruel comments. I don't think it was cruel anyway, it was "what the fuck did she do?" Is that cruel....?

I'm sorry, but when you look so different that people don't even recognize who the fuck you are anymore, they are going to talk. It's not that she looked bad or worse. She didn't even look like RZ anymore.

If there had not been a title to the thread with RZ's after pics I would not have known it was her. And it was shocking. Yeah in the past she's been called squinty-eyed and people have also said she looks like she's sucking on a lemon, etc. Those comments are not nice. But who the fuck cares. She still wasn't ugly. She still looked like Renee Zellwegger.

When someone changes their look that drastically it seems like there's something else going on. And sorry Reese honey, but people are going to talk. Whether it's behind your back or to your face. In Zellwegger's case, they should be careful if they don't want to say something in front of her, because she could be standing right there and you'd never know it because she looks like someone else now!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

"I know this is so Pollyanna of me, but why -- and it's particularly women -- why do they have to tear women down?" she lamented. "And why do we have to tear other women down to build another woman up? It drives me crazy. Like, this one looks great without her makeup but that one doesn't look good without her makeup, and it's all just a judgment and assault "

Omg you mean people judge actors by their appearance and whatever cosmetic surgery they do to alter that appearance? *shock*HORROR*

STFU and get the fuck over yourself, Laura Jean Poon. You know what this is, and we know you're no Pollyanna.

As for Renee I agree with MrsDark, if plastic surgery makes you unrecognizeable, people are going to talk about it. That's life and that's a risk you take with PS.

Gold Member

The woman has the chin of Jay Leno, no room to talk.

It would have been nice if she threw in a, "And I think she looks great!!" That's what a friend would have done. Not just drawing attention to the cruel jokes and leave it at that, it's as if she agrees with the sentiment, she just wouldn't have been cruel enough to joke about it.

BUT, I didn't see the interview, maybe she did do that.

"It's cruel and rude and disrespectful,"

and accurate.
    llamamama likes this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

It's funny Reese still thinks she has her own credibility intact.
    MmeVertigina and llamamama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    The woman has the chin of Jay Leno, no room to talk.
    My eyes immediately go right to that chin.

Seriously. I might roll my eyes at all these broads and their obvious PS, but the ones who actually admit it, especially if they have a 'yeah, I have - so what?!' attitude about it..well, they earn my respect for at least being cool and open with it.

When you do something as drastic as RZ did and then have the balls to insult everyone's intelligence by claiming it to be the result of a 'healthier diet' or whatever bullshit she said..sorry but you deserve any shade you get thrown.
    MmeVertigina, idunno and Mrs P like this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I must be blind. I don't think RZ looks too much different. Some photos are bad, but then a few days later you see another photo, from a different angle, and it's clearly her.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I must be blind. I don't think RZ looks too much different. Some photos are bad, but then a few days later you see another photo, from a different angle, and it's clearly her.
    She had surgery to open up her eyes. She used to have those heavy lids that made her look like her, now they are gone and she looks like somebody else. Not unattractive IMO, just not Renee Zellweger. I think she resembles Robin Wright a little bit now.

Here's a before and after.

lindsaywhit and soogar like this.

Oh, I don't think she looks bad - just very different (and obvious) around the eyes.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information