Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tommy Lee Jones: There isnít "a woman who hasnít been objectified or trivialised"

Default Tommy Lee Jones: There isnít "a woman who hasnít been objectified or trivialised"

He loves London: ďIím very comfortable in London I lived for about five weeks in a house in Chapel Street in Belgravia.Ē He pronounces it Belgraahvia, suggesting cocktail evenings with posh folk in the embassy district. ďI enjoy the island. I have long, enduring relationships with people there. Actually, by now Iíve got a tailor on Savile Row. This one was not made there but all my suits in the future will be made on that street. It feels kind of nice Iím kind of pleased with myself that Iíve got a tailor on Savile Row. Iím 68 years old. I deserve it.Ē

Is this a feminist movie? A pause. He chooses his words carefully. ďIt would not be unfair to call it that but Iím not looking for labels.Ē It seems he will elaborate but doesnít. A prolonged silence ensues.

On sexist injustice: ďI donít think thereís a woman in the readership of the Guardian, not one, who hasnít been objectified or trivialised because of her gender at one time or another. And thatís really what our movie is about. Our film is the inverse of the conventional western. Itís about women, not men; itís about lunatics, not heroes; theyíre travelling east, not west; and we have a different perspective on what has come to be called manifest destiny.Ē

On promoting his projects: ďThere are certain contractual obligations and one does the best that one can do,Ē he says stiffly when I ask about press interviews. It is a cue for him to drain his sake and take a refill.

The HomesmanĎs bleak view of US expansionism: ďItís about people living on the cutting edge of what is sometimes called manifest destiny. What is the price we pay for believing that God meant for us to own everything between Massachusetts and California? People still believe it, and schoolchildren are still taught that there is almost a divine right for the United States to hold the land that it does today.Ē

On Cormac McCarthy: ďI donít think heís been served very well by the movies so far.Ē

Will he ever retire? ďI donít want to end my career.Ē

He doesnít like tv: ďI probably watch less than one hour of television a week. And when I do watch television itís usually a football game. Sometimes Iíll watch a news broadcast for a few minutes. Otherwise I donít have time. Most of those things are so poorly lit. And they are limited a lot by their tight schedules. They have to shoot so much material and they have to shoot it so fast. The lighting is often rather Ö Gross.Ē

[From The Guardian]

Cele|bitchy | Tommy Lee Jones: There isn‚Äôt ‚Äėa woman who hasn‚Äôt been objectified or trivialised‚Äô
    Brookie and MmeVertigina like this.

I lurv him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He's looking rough for 68. Hope every wrinkle has a story.
    HWBL, BITTER and Mrs P like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

He's right about the lighting on TV shows. Some episodes of Law & Order SVU look like they're shot in the dark.

I still remember what a wild man he seemed like in Eyes of Laura Mars:

Belt Up and Lily Bleu like this.

damn his ears are uh, long.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

NOBODY, even "posh" people call it Belgraahvia. It's "Belgrayvia" darling.
    rollo and Belt Up like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldnít be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I LOVE him.
    gas_chick likes this.

Me too. Every single glum inch of him. He was so adorable in Coal Miner's Daughter.

GRuser1 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

So only female Guardian readers are trivialised or does he give this interview out everywhere?

The Guardian readership are perpetual hand wringers, he sure knows his audience.

I love The Eyes of Laura Mars, it's so deliciously of it's time, definitely due a re-watch very soon IIRC TLJ dated one of the models in the film for a few years, the exquisite Lisa Taylor.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I like and agree with what he said here.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    The Guardian readership are perpetual hand wringers, he sure knows his audience.

I love The Eyes of Laura Mars, it's so deliciously of it's time, definitely due a re-watch very soon IIRC TLJ dated one of the models in the film for a few years, the exquisite Lisa Taylor.
    That's what I meant. Not that he's cynical or anything.

I found The Eyes of Laura Mars very scary.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post

if he dated lisa, he totally scored. i like tommy as an actor, but the guy is a beast. not sure why he looks so beaten up, al gore never looked that bad ....

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    if he dated lisa, he totally scored. i like tommy as an actor, but the guy is a beast. not sure why he looks so beaten up, al gore never looked that bad ....
    The Legacies always have it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information