Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Jack Nicholson Mocked the Idea of Marrying Anjelica Huston

Default Jack Nicholson Mocked the Idea of Marrying Anjelica Huston

Anjelica Huston's on-again, off-again love affair with Jack Nicholson was turbulent, to say the least.
    The actress chronicles her 17-year relationship with the Departed star in her new memoir Watch Me, out today.
    Most notably, Huston speaks candidly of the moment she suggested that she and Nicholson tie the knot.
    "I [said], 'If you had any balls, you'd marry me,'" writes Huston. "And he said, 'Marry you? Are you kidding?'"
    The 63-year-old actress goes on to say that she "sobbed for three days after that."
    Here are five over things we learned about the pair's relationship from the tell-all:

1. Nicholson scared Huston

Huston recalls meeting a young Gwyneth Paltrow at a fundraiser for a senator. The then 12-year-old Paltrow took one look at Nicholson and told Huston, "That man scares me."
    "He scares me, too," Huston answered.

2. She found his possessiveness attractive

After watching Nicholson flirt with a model at a restaurant, Huston tried to leave the table only to have the actor pull her back into her seat.
    "Don't ever stand up like that to leave," he reportedly said to her. "I enjoyed his brief flash of possessiveness," she writes.

3. He once bought her a Mercedes-Benz

Which Huston promptly crashed the day she got it. No word on whether he got her another one.

4. She beat him up when they finally broke up for good

"I don't think I kicked him," she writes of that brutal final breakup, "but I beat him savagely about the head and shoulders. He was ducking and bending, and I was going at him like a prizefighter, raining a vast array of direct punches."
    But he was impressed with her display of passion.
    "Goddamn, Toots, you sure landed some blows on me. I’m bruised all over my body," he reportedly told her on the phone days after the final confrontation.
    Huston writes she replied: "You're welcome, Jack, you deserved it."

5. She wanted to have Nicholson's baby, but was not physically able

After actress Rebecca Broussard became pregnant with Nicholson's baby, Huston felt "inadequate and bitter," she writes.
    "I had endometriosis, and had probably had it since my teens. I had undergone a laparoscopy, followed by a hysteroscopy, but a child was not to be."

Jack Nicholson Mocked the Idea of Marrying Anjelica Huston - Memoir, Anjelica Huston, Jack Nicholson : People.com

I didn't realize he was so little

Anjelica Huston is a gutsy, gorgeous, woman who has managed to live life on her own terms. She is a class act.

Btw, that's the first tidbit/quote from GOOP in years that hasn't made me want to force-feed her cup-of-soup, french fries & twinkies. Figures - she was 12 at the time.
    idunno, mopar and Mrs P like this.

I didn't realize he was such an asshole. Anjelica should have told him to go piss up a rope.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

czb

gutsy? she beat up a guy when he broked up with her. how would that fly if she had been a man punching a woman?

yeah, jack was a tool but this doesn't make her sound so great, either.
    sluce, faithanne, Annika and 3 others like this.

Elite Member

She reminds me of Amal Clooney in that photo.
    Angeli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    gutsy? she beat up a guy when he broked up with her. how would that fly if she had been a man punching a woman?

yeah, jack was a tool but this doesn't make her sound so great, either.
    I agree. I hope there is much more to her book than this, because this piece has lowered my respect for her.
    Kittylady likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I haven't read the book, but I'd guess that this was when she heard Rebecca Broussard was pregnant with his baby. From what I gather, he cheated on her repeatedly, which probably made her want to thrash him anyway, but the last straw was when her rival became pregnant with the baby that she was already upset that she couldn't have. Worse, as if the other women weren't bad enough, and her endometriosis wasn't bad enough, it was clear that he couldn't even be bothered to use a condom. Frankly, I'm surprised she let him live. If I'd been on the jury at her murder trial, I'd have found her not guilty.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

Why? he never hid who he was. She chose to remain with him knowing full well who he was. You cannot play victim when you fail to respect yourself over and over. Sometimes you just need to look in mirror and ask yourself why YOU allowed this to happen.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

^^^ this.

i always thought they had an open relationship, although she was not pleased about it. i can underestand anjelica being upset or devastated when jack got rebecca pregnant, but to actually hit/punch jack? and be proud of it? makes no sense to me. i would just pick up my stuff and leave.
    sluce and Kittylady like this.

I wonder why she even took up with him. He comes across as a smug, self-satisfied, selfish asshole. Surely she could have done much, much better.
    Angeli, heart_leigh and Kittylady like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

czb

^^^ yeah and there's that as well.

sorry, this chick doesn't sound gutsy. she sounds like she made dumb choices and is actually proud of them.
    Kittylady and sluce like this.

They got together in 1973, presumably long before his womanizing was so well known, so perhaps she didn't know what she was getting into. Personally, I don't see what she saw in him, let alone why she stayed. He might be entertaining, and of course he's a legend now, but back then he was clearly a major asswipe. No doubt her background (as John Huston's daughter) had a lot to do with it.

Some women can turn a blind eye to cheating, but RB's baby and the added humiliation of his not even bothering to use condoms were perhaps what made it suddenly unendurable. I'm not saying relationship violence is something to be proud of, only that the final level of provocation made it something I understood.
    Belt Up and rollo like this.
    A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.(Lana Turner)

czb

still don't understand how any of this justifies her beating him. how would people feel if it were a man beating a woman? i doubt that there would be any digging for justifications ....
    Kittylady likes this.

It sounds like she will go to her grave and not be over him.
    Air Quotes likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information