Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: CBC cuts ties with Jian Ghomeshi after receiving 'information' about host

Silver Member

Default CBC cuts ties with Jian Ghomeshi after receiving 'information' about host

The first link is about the firing and the second link is from his facebook page. (I cut and pasted his facebook reply so everyone could get the juicy details.)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-p...180250964.html

https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi

Dear everyone,

I am writing today because I want you to be the first to know some news.

This has been the hardest time of my life. I am reeling from the loss of my father. I am in deep personal pain and worried about my mom. And now my world has been rocked by so much more.

Today, I was fired from the CBC.

For almost 8 years I have been the host of a show I co-created on CBC called Q. It has been my pride and joy. My fantastic team on Q are super-talented and have helped build something beautiful.

I have always operated on the principle of doing my best to maintain a dignity and a commitment to openness and truth, both on and off the air. I have conducted major interviews, supported Canadian talent, and spoken out loudly in my audio essays about ideas, issues, and my love for this country. All of that is available for anyone to hear or watch. I have known, of course, that not everyone always agrees with my opinions or my style, but I've never been anything but honest. I have doggedly defended the CBC and embraced public broadcasting. This is a brand I’ve been honoured to help grow.

All this has now changed.

Today I was fired from the company where I've been working for almost 14 years – stripped from my show, barred from the building and separated from my colleagues. I was given the choice to walk away quietly and to publicly suggest that this was my decision. But I am not going to do that. Because that would be untrue. Because I’ve been fired. And because I've done nothing wrong.

I’ve been fired from the CBC because of the risk of my private sex life being made public as a result of a campaign of false allegations pursued by a jilted ex girlfriend and a freelance writer.

As friends and family of mine, you are owed the truth.

I have commenced legal proceedings against the CBC, what’s important to me is that you know what happened and why.

Forgive me if what follows may be shocking to some.

I have always been interested in a variety of activities in the bedroom but I only participate in sexual practices that are mutually agreed upon, consensual, and exciting for both partners.

About two years ago I started seeing a woman in her late 20s. Our relationship was affectionate, casual and passionate. We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission. We discussed our interests at length before engaging in rough sex (forms of BDSM). We talked about using safe words and regularly checked in with each other about our comfort levels. She encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator. We joked about our relations being like a mild form of Fifty Shades of Grey or a story from Lynn Coady's Giller-Prize winning book last year. I don’t wish to get into any more detail because it is truly not anyone's business what two consenting adults do. I have never discussed my private life before. Sexual preferences are a human right.

Despite a strong connection between us it became clear to me that our on-and-off dating was unlikely to grow into a larger relationship and I ended things in the beginning of this year. She was upset by this and sent me messages indicating her disappointment that I would not commit to more, and her anger that I was seeing others.

After this, in the early spring there began a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization against me that would lead to months of anxiety.

It came to light that a woman had begun anonymously reaching out to people that I had dated (via Facebook) to tell them she had been a victim of abusive relations with me. In other words, someone was reframing what had been an ongoing consensual relationship as something nefarious. I learned – through one of my friends who got in contact with this person – that someone had rifled through my phone on one occasion and taken down the names of any woman I had seemed to have been dating in recent years. This person had begun methodically contacting them to try to build a story against me. Increasingly, female friends and ex-girlfriends of mine told me about these attempts to smear me.

Someone also began colluding with a freelance writer who was known not to be a fan of mine and, together, they set out to try to find corroborators to build a case to defame me. She found some sympathetic ears by painting herself as a victim and turned this into a campaign. The writer boldly started contacting my friends, acquaintances and even work colleagues – all of whom came to me to tell me this was happening and all of whom recognized it as a trumped up way to attack me and undermine my reputation. Everyone contacted would ask the same question, if I had engaged in non-consensual behavior why was the place to address this the media?

The writer tried to peddle the story and, at one point, a major Canadian media publication did due diligence but never printed a story. One assumes they recognized these attempts to recast my sexual behaviour were fabrications. Still, the spectre of mud being flung onto the Internet where online outrage can demonize someone before facts can refute false allegations has been what I've had to live with.

And this leads us to today and this moment. I’ve lived with the threat that this stuff would be thrown out there to defame me. And I would sue. But it would do the reputational damage to me it was intended to do (the ex has even tried to contact me to say that she now wishes to refute any of these categorically untrue allegations). But with me bringing it to light, in the coming days you will prospectively hear about how I engage in all kinds of unsavoury aggressive acts in the bedroom. And the implication may be made that this happens non-consensually. And that will be a lie. But it will be salacious gossip in a world driven by a hunger for "scandal". And there will be those who choose to believe it and to hate me or to laugh at me. And there will be an attempt to pile on. And there will be the claim that there are a few women involved (those who colluded with my ex) in an attempt to show a "pattern of behaviour". And it will be based in lies but damage will be done. But I am telling you this story in the hopes that the truth will, finally, conquer all.

I have been open with the CBC about this since these categorically untrue allegations ramped up. I have never believed it was anyone's business what I do in my private affairs but I wanted my bosses to be aware that this attempt to smear me was out there. CBC has been part of the team of friends and lawyers assembled to deal with this for months. On Thursday I voluntarily showed evidence that everything I have done has been consensual. I did this in good faith and because I know, as I have always known, that I have nothing to hide. This when the CBC decided to fire me.

CBC execs confirmed that the information provided showed that there was consent. In fact, they later said to me and my team that there is no question in their minds that there has always been consent. They said they’re not concerned about the legal side. But then they said that this type of sexual behavior was unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC. They said that I was being dismissed for "the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out." To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.

Let me be the first to say that my tastes in the bedroom may not be palatable to some folks. They may be strange, enticing, weird, normal, or outright offensive to others. We all have our secret life. But that is my private life. That is my personal life. And no one, and certainly no employer, should have dominion over what people do consensually in their private life.

And so, with no formal allegations, no formal complaints, no complaints, not one, to the HR department at the CBC (they told us they’d done a thorough check and were satisfied), and no charges, I have lost my job based on a campaign of vengeance. Two weeks after the death of my beautiful father I have been fired from the CBC because of what I do in my private life.

I have loved the CBC. The Q team are the best group of people in the land. My colleagues and producers and on-air talent at the CBC are unparalleled in being some of the best in the business. I have always tried to be a good soldier and do a good job for my country. I am still in shock. But I am telling this story to you so the truth is heard. And to bring an end to the nightmare.
    Brookie likes this.

Well I've never heard of him before, but I commend him for his blunt (borderline TMI) honesty in that well-written post.

Unfortunately, some bitches be cray, and if you're any form of the entertainment industry, especially in this day and age, where it's hard to keep your personal life private, you have to be extra careful/mindful of who you share your personal life with.

The handful of people I know in the public eye (working in front of and behind the camera) have girlfriends, personal assistants, even their housekeepers sign confidentiality agreements - for this exact reason. And I don't blame them. I'd do the same thing. Especially if it's with a girl you're dating "on and off"/ don't know very well outside the bedroom.

Of course, confidentiality agreements can't totally prevent pictures or info from getting out to the public, but at least you have a legal back-up if the situation arose, and these people try to sell their stories/pictures to media outlets. The outlets would be less likely to buy/report the information if a confidentiality agreement exists.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

I just recall his interview with Billy Bob Thornton. It was quite awkward, but on Thornton's part.

At least he's honest about his private life. No more skeletons in his closet..not even the ones in bondage.
    Liza likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Well I've never heard of him before, but I commend him for his blunt (borderline TMI) honesty in that well-written post.

Unfortunately, some bitches be cray, and if you're any form of the entertainment industry, especially in this day and age, where it's hard to keep your personal life private, you have to be extra careful/mindful of who you share your personal life with.
    You've never heard of the guy but are prepared right away to go with 'bitches be crazy'? Soley based on his self serving facebook post? I hope you never get jury duty on a sexual harassment or rape case.

Canadian media critic Jesse Brown tweeted promising to release information on Ghomeshi gathered after "months of investigation." I'm guessing there might be more to it than Ghomeshi's post indicates.

ETA- apparently the Giller prize committee tweeted that he's no longer going to be hosting that gala next month, so it looks like there's something up here.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; October 26th, 2014 at 08:17 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    You've never heard of the guy but are prepared right away to go with 'bitches be crazy'? Soley based on his self serving facebook post? I hope you never get jury duty on a sexual harassment or rape case.

Canadian media critic Jesse Brown tweeted promising to release information on Ghomeshi gathered after "months of investigation." I'm guessing there might be more to it than Ghomeshi's post indicates.

Well, I'm not a fan of jury duty period.

Do I think that his self-serving manifesto was well-written? Yes.
    Did I state anywhere in my response that I thought he was totally innocent in this situation? Nope.

He may be "cray" too... who knows without all of the facts?
    My generalized sarcastic comment ('bitches be cray') was based on the information that was posted in this thread.
    Not what I know of the entire situation/all of the facts - because I don't know all of the information about this situation.

I do know that if you are going to have consensual sexual relations with someone on a regular basis, and you're in the public eye, a confidentiality agreement might be helpful to protect yourself from people that will try to take advantage of what they know of you/your personal life.

Of course, if any of what went on between them was not consensual, that woman has every right to report him/his actions, regardless if a confidentiality agreement is in place.

I feel like I should put a disclaimer in my signature:
    Note: Sometimes I insert a little sarcasm in my responses. What I think is a light, sarcastic response may not translate the same way to others.
    Not every word of my responses is suppose to be taken so seriously/literally. I apologize ahead of time if my use of generalized urban dictionary terms/stupid popular culture references offend people - that is not my intention.

Classic victim blaming right there.

Ghomeshi is the most popular host of CBC's top show.FYI,it's a network funded by taxpayers who are grumbling about funding a network that is always in the red and only a tiny percentage of the population watch.It's elitist and very liberal.Doubt very much that anyone there cared what he did in his private, consensual life.There has been a lot said about his grabby, aggressive non-consensual behaviour towards women and I don't know how he avoided sexual assault charges before this.You know shit's going to get real tomorrow when the results of several investigations come out. This is why he hired a very powerful PR group and why he wrote this whiny,woe is me manifesto on Facebook on a Sunday night.
    snoopqueen, Shinola and Janus like this.

Bronze Member

I recall reading a few local profile about him (he actually lives in my neighbourhood) but what I find weird about this is I always just figured him as gay- not that there's anything wrong with that..

His post isn't even 'well written'. The whiney shit about losing his dad is completely irrelevant, and that last bit about being a 'good soldier' is quite tone deaf considering what's happened to soldiers there recently.

Note: Sometimes I insert a little sarcasm in my responses
    Yeah, if that's sarcasm you're doing it wrong.
    Kittylady and Janus like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I don't know who this is, but it's sad that someone put him in the position of having to discuss his personal life with millions of people. As long as everything was consensual, his preferences are healthy and normal. It's not anyone's business what this man does in his bedroom.

I am not victim blaming but I agree that all celebs should probably just have everyone sign confidentiality agreements. They are constantly around people who would sell them out for cash. Sucks but that's the way it is.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Martin Patriquin tweeted ' sources tell me that charges against Ghomeshi have been in the works for months'. Lending more weight to the speculation that this isn't about some consenual BDSM.

I feel like I was manhandled by that wall o' text he posted. Who do I report that to?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    His post isn't even 'well written'. The whiney shit about losing his dad is completely irrelevant, and that last bit about being a 'good soldier' is quite tone deaf considering what's happened to soldiers there recently.

Yeah, if that's sarcasm you're doing it wrong.

Ok, well then let's agree to disagree, shall we? I was unaware there were guidelines as to what constitutes sarcasm.

I have never met a person in life or online, that has taken the slang term "Bitches be cray" in serious context.
    But hey, that's just my experience.

I don't understand why you've picked a part my posts lately, so much so that you zero in on specific words, and totally miss the overall point of my post - and of course, you are free to do so, but I just would like you to know that I don't intend any animosity or ill will.
    Simply my opinions, sometimes mixed in with (my interpretation) of dry humor/sarcasm, and again, I apologize if that becomes misinterpreted.

All for woman's rights, freedom of speech, punishment of the law-breaking monsters, open to everyone's opinions, and always against everything Kim Kardashian...
    I was under the impression that this forum was basically built for sarcasm, joking around, general gossip-y chatter, with some discussion of serious topics/situations - but overall a place to chit-chat about nonsense.
    Pertaining to this thread, I commented on the information as it was presented. I stand by my opinions based on the information presented in this thread, and my attempts at sarcasm.
    Everyone here is free to pick apart the nonsense and come to their own conclusions.

So... yeah... I'll leave all of you to get back on topic.... Goodnight
    CL** and Callalily like this.

I don't intend animosity or ill will either, and disagreeing with a post isn't personal. It's about the post, not the person writing it.

Jian's a lot more interesting than I had him pegged as! Or as one of his ex's might put it "Mmmmph, mmmph".

Besides they only canned him because the CBC is full of sex freaks and they don't want that kind of attention on them. One doc producer recently got fired after it was revealed that he'd been secretly video taping his house guests having sex. He'd had this hobby for years.

CBC filmmaker accused of voyeurism

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/15...s-find-cameras
    Last edited by AgentOrange; October 27th, 2014 at 07:31 AM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information