Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree1207Likes

Thread: Comedian Hannibal Buress Called Out Bill Cosby's Rape History on Stage

Default Comedian Hannibal Buress Called Out Bill Cosby's Rape History on Stage

Thanks to The Cosby Show, Fat Albert and standup, Bill Cosby has become one of today's most beloved public figures. Of course, mixed up in his celebrated entertainment career are over a dozen instances where Cosby allegedly drugged and raped various women — but that's the part that most people would rather not talk about. Too bad for them, though, because Hannibal Buress is talking about it anyway.

Buress ( 30 Rock, Broad City) was recorded dropping this bold and beautiful bit during a set at the Trocadero in Philadelphia late last week:

"And it's even worse because Bill Cosby has the fucking smuggest old black man public persona that I hate. Pull your pants up, black people. I was on TV in the '80s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom. Yeah, but you raped women, Bill Cosby. So, brings you down a couple notches. I don't curse on stage. Well, yeah, you're a rapist, so, I'll take you sayin' lots of motherfuckers on Bill Cosby: Himself if you weren't a rapist. …I want to just at least make it weird for you to watch Cosby Show reruns. …I've done this bit on stage, and people don't believe. People think I'm making it up. …That shit is upsetting. If you didn't know about it, trust me. You leave here and google 'Bill Cosby rape.' It's not funny. That shit has more results than Hannibal Buress."

The bit's not only a solid call-out of Cosby's hypocrisy, it's also brave. Buress is a comedian with a sitcom in the works and fans (like Chris Rock and Louis CK) in high places, but nothing gets people quite as angry and defensive as going after their entertainment heroes and exposing — or reminding us of — their gross and sometimes criminal pasts (see Woody Allen and Michael Jackson for more examples).

Buress takes his job as a comedian seriously and nothing is more important to the profession than being outspoken and honest to yourself — two qualities he managed to perfectly embody in his fearless (and, more importantly, accurate) Cosby musings.

Comedian Hannibal Buress Called Out Bill Cosby's Rape History on Stage
    Lalasnake likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love that he is discussing this, especially here in Philly where so many still think of Bill as a God. It infuriates me every time Temple University trots him out to speak on their behave.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I'm trying to find a way to type the sound I made when reading this, it was like "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Sort of. But um yeah, go Burress.
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I don't know who he is, well until now anyway, but I gotta admire his guts. It's amazing how these stories come up again and again, yet don't affect BC's icon status.
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Good for him. I just hope it doesn't bite him in the ass.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Good for him for speaking out, but the bitch of it is it probably won't make a blind bit of difference. Look at when Jackson croaked, suddenly he was everybody's inspiration, the fact that he was junkie and probably a pedo gets swept conveniently under the rug. Woody Allen married, who for all intents and purposes, is his step-daughter, who is what, 112 years younger than him? Yet most actors would give their left nut (or boob) to work with the freak. To most people Cosby will remain loveable Dr. Huxtable, and from what I have read of the old bastard, is sad. Sorry for the rant, in a bit of a mood...

The guy is right and he is funny.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Wow. I had no idea (about Cosby's history)

Go Hannibal.
    BuffyKatniss likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a 'rapist' during stand-up performance in Philadelphia | Daily Mail Online

'You raped women, Bill Cosby': Comedian Hannibal Buress lashes out against legendary sitcom star, 77, during stand-up performance in Philadelphia

• Buress, a former SNL writer and voice star of upcoming film Angry Birds, brought up allegations of sexual assault against Cosby
    • In 2006, the married 77-year-old comedian settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who accused Cosby of drugging and assaulting her
    • Buress called out Cosby as a hypocrite for urging African-American men to 'pull up their pants'

By Snejana Farberov for MailOnline
    Published: 10:06 EST, 21 October 2014 | Updated: 11:00 EST, 21 October 2014

Standup comedian and former Saturday Night Live writer Hannibal Buress unleashed a violent tirade about Bill Cosby, calling him a 'rapist' and a sanctimonious hypocrite during a performance in Philadelphia last week.

'Bill Cosby has the f***ing smuggest old black man public persona that I hate,' Buress declared from the stage at the Trocadero Theater on Thursday.

Mocking America’s beloved dad from The Cosby Show, Buress said: '"Pull your pants up, black people. I was on TV in the '80s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom." Yeah, but you raped women, Bill Cosby. So, brings you down a couple notches.'

Comedy fight: Stand-up Hannibal Buress (left) hit out at Bill Cosby (right) during a performance, accusing him of being a rapist

No laughing matter: Buress delivered the rant dredging up past allegations against Cosby from the stage of the Trocadero Theater in Philadelphia

In his own words: Buress, 31, alluded to the controversy his performance had sparked on Twitter

'I don't curse on stage. But yeah, you're a rapist,' Philadelphia Magazine reported.
    The 77-year-old Emmy - and Grammy-winning actor and comedian, who has been married for 50 years and has five children, has been battling accusations of sex assault for more than three decades.
    According to published reports, between the 1970s and early 2000s, as many as 13 women have come forward accusing Cosby of sexual assault.

Full article:
    Hannibal Buress calls Bill Cosby a 'rapist' during stand-up performance in Philadelphia | Daily Mail Online

ETA:

Thank you Hannibal. Bill is finally getting the attention he deserves.

13 Women Have Accused Bill Cosby of Rape β€” So Why Has America Forgiven Him? - Mic
    13 Women Have Accused Bill Cosby of Rape — So Why Has America Forgiven Him?

ill Cosby is best remembered for The Cosby Show, Fat Albert and Jell-O pudding pops — not sexual assault. But comedian Hannibal Buress jogged our collective memory late last week with a routine that candidly addressed Cosby's history as an accused rapist.

Cosby, now 77, is but one of several male celebrities who have been accused of sexual abuse and gone on to have long and generally unaffected careers. Like his unenviable cohorts, Cosby has enjoyed a lengthy career, even after more than a dozen women came forward with rape allegations over the years. He even won the Marian Anderson Award in 2011, which is reserved for "critically acclaimed artists who have impacted society in a positive way, either through their work or their support for an important cause."

The contradiction between Cosby's mainstream reputation as a fairly sought-out, if not uncontroversial, voice on issues that affect the black community and his multiple sexual allegations is what Buress homed in on during his set Thursday at the Trocadero Theatre in Philadelphia.

"And it's even worse because Bill Cosby has the fucking smuggest old black man public persona that I hate," Buress said. "Pull your pants up, black people. I was on TV in the '80s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom. Yeah, but you raped women, Bill Cosby. So, brings you down a couple of notches. ... I've done this bit onstage, and people don't believe. People think I'm making it up. ...That shit is upsetting. If you didn't know about it, trust me. You leave here and google 'Bill Cosby rape.' It's not funny. That shit has more results than Hannibal Buress."

Buress is correct: The myriad allegations leveled against Cosby over the years are no joke. In 2004, Andrea Constand brought a civil lawsuit against Cosby that grew to include 13 other women, all of whom reported being drugged and raped by one of America's most beloved entertainers. Cosby settled under undisclosed terms in 2006.

Notably, two other women — who presumably had nothing to gain financially, as the statute of limitations had run out on their cases — also shared their stories with major media outlets. Their accounts included similar details: Cosby took them under his wing and, on multiple occasions, fed them alcohol laced with drugs and assaulted them.

And yet, despite the multiple victims and reports of a decades-long streak of rape, America seems to have chosen to forgive and forget. Completing the circle of denial, Cosby's new biography conspicuously omits his sexual assault allegations, as if they never happened.

But with Buress' act reigniting media coverage of Cosby's sordid past, it seems like maybe people are willing to admit that Dr. Huxtable — America's dad — isn't that lovable television character who visited family living rooms week after week.

(A bunch of tweets appear here)

Why do celebrities seem to get away with sexual assault? Cosby isn't the first, and won't be the last, mainstream celebrity to be accused of sexual abuse. This past February, Dylan Farrow accused Woody Allen of sexually assaulting her. Then there's CeeLo Green, Tupac Shakur, Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, R. Kelly — the list goes on and on. And yet, these men's careers rebounded and their accomplishments somehow overshadowed any wrongdoings.

As one of Cosby's victims, Barbara Bowman, explains, "The media creates this idealized image of celebrities: that they are untouchable, that they're not one of us. ... I don't think people want to believe it; to believe would shatter the illusion." Specifically in the case of Cosby, Gawker nailed it: "Basically nobody wanted to live in a world where Bill Cosby was a sexual predator."

Bravo, Buress. Instead of revering the men who take advantage of their celebrity status to sexually assault unassuming victims, we should hold them accountable in the court of public opinion, if not an actual court of law.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

His history was unknown to me until reading a few articles a year or so ago -- actresses that complained and got blackballed from the industry for speaking out against him in the 70s and "The Cosby Show" first run. I can't recall the original citations of the articles I read -- May have been The Smoking Gun.

ETA, yep.Bill Cosby's "Prior Bad Acts" | The Smoking Gun

i can't figure out how to post the whole article while on my iPad on the road, as we are asked to do. Maybe a c&p will work:

"APRIL 20--Attorneys for the woman suing Bill Cosby for sexual assault claim that at least ten other women are prepared to testify about "prior similar sexual assaults and/or drugging incidents" perpetrated by the comedian.

The claim about additional alleged Cosby victims is contained in court papers filed yesterday by lawyers for Andrea Constand, the former Temple University employee who charged in a March lawsuit that the 67-year-old performer drugged and sexually assaulted her during a January 2004 visit to Cosby's Pennsylvania home.

Of the ten alleged victims, nine are not named in Constand's court papers, referred to instead as "Jane Doe witnesses" (these women are said to currently reside in California, New Mexico, Florida, Nevada, Colorado, Ohio, and Arizona). A tenth woman, lawyer Tamara Green, publicly accused Cosby of abuse after Constand's allegations surfaced earlier this year.

Of the nine "Jane Doe witnesses," six are represented by Pennsylvania lawyer Joyce Dale, executive director of Delaware County Women Against Rape. Two other women, according to the filing, are believed to be seeking to retain counsel.

In addition to the ten women, Constand's lawyers are also seeking New York police and prosecution records relating to a 2000 abuse claim reportedly lodged against the star by a "Cosby Show" cast member named Lachele Covington.

Cosby has denied all abuse allegations, none of which have resulted in criminal charges against the comedian. (5 pages)"

Queen Latifah

CANCELS Cosby Interview

After Rape Allegations Resurface

10/30/2014 10:29 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE
    Bill Cosby won't be promoting his new comedy tour on Queen Latifah's talk show ... because the Queen and her crew got cold feet after rape allegations resurfaced.

Comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby out last week during a stand up set ... wondering out loud if people remembered Bill had been accused of rape by 13 women over the years. The old news got re-circulated, even though there were not fresh allegations.

Production sources tell us Latifah honchos didn't want the association so they 86'd Cosby. They're particularly sensitive because a video from Latifah's show just went viral, showing a 13-year-oldgay kid going crazy on the show after winning VIP Ru Paul tickets.

Cosby has never been criminally charged with sexual assault ... but he has been sued.

As for Latifah ... good thing Jon Cryer is still booked.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3HfiW7sz9
    Clubber Lang likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Yeah, people don't want to believe the worst of celebs and celeb justice is real, but with this case, the allegations are just that ... allegations and then *poof* the accusers go away and everyone is quiet. So it's easier to just forget about it and let him be Mr. Huxtable.

If he faced criminal charges and had a trial and was convicted, the public wouldn't forget. They may forgive it (although I'd like to think if you were convicted of raping 12 woman we'd finally have had enough of you), but it would do damage.

Nah, 1, 2, 3 women making it up just for the money, maybe. But 13? And some don't even want to sue him civilly, just want the truth out there. I don't think the accusations are false in the least.
    Kittylady likes this.

This is so disappointing.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information