Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Bill Murray: ‘I do not like people that complain about being famous’

Default Bill Murray: ‘I do not like people that complain about being famous’

On attending Bill Murray Day at TIFF: “The whole thing gets more complicated as it draws closer, and you feel such dread about it. I’m nervous. All I can think is I feel like the Statue of Liberty covered with maggots. I feel like I am going to be assaulted! Why am I doing this?”

His career: “There’s no real plan. I just do what I like. What agents do is try to package you with other people they got. I don’t really require that. If you have an agent, you get a lot of bad scripts. I could probably make better deals. I could probably make more money.”

He won’t campaign for an Oscar, ever again: “I’ve never done that. I know that’s something Harvey (Weinstein) does — he forces you to do these things. I’m not that way. If you want an award so much, it’s like a virus. It’s an illness.”

On losing in 2004 for Lost in Translation: “Six months later, I realized I had taken the virus. I had been infected. People have this post-Oscar blowback. They start thinking, ‘I can’t do a movie unless it’s Oscar-worthy.’ It just seems people have difficulty making the right choices after that.”

Harvey on Bill’s refusal to campaign: “And neither will we, until something happens, like a Golden Globe or a critic’s award. If that happens, he’ll have to get a restraining order against us. We’ll disregard what he told us.”

[From Variety]

Bill also sat down with Howard Stern last week. Bill talks about the “emotional” Alimooney wedding, his dislike for Seinfeld, his love of In-N-Out burger, and how the late Roger Ebert used to bust his chops. Here are some other topics:

On fame: “I do not like people that complain about being famous, but I say to people, ‘Hey, you want to be rich and famous? Try being rich, and see if that doesn’t cover most of it for you.’ You have a bunch of dough, you can be as kind as you want, and you can be invisible. No one has to know you have a bunch of dough, and you can behave any way you want. You can be a secret kind of person.”

On not finding the love of his life: “Well… I do think about that. I do think about that. I’m not sure when I’m getting done here. I have kids–I have children that I’m responsible for–and I enjoy that very much, and that wouldn’t have happened without women. I don’t think I’m lonely. It would be nice to go to some of these things and have a date, have someone to bring along. And to go play golf in Scotland, that would be fun. But there’s a lot that I’m not doing that I need to do–something like working on yourself, self-development, and becoming more connected to myself. I don’t have a problem connecting with people, my problem is connecting with myself. And if I’m not really committing myself really well to that, it’s sort of better that I don’t have another person. I can’t take on another relationship if I’m not taking care of the things I need to take care of the most. What stops us from looking at ourselves is that we’re kind of ugly if we look really hard; we’re not who we think we are, and we’re not as wonderful as we think we are.”

[From HowardStern.com]

Cele|bitchy | Bill Murray: ‘I do not like people that complain about being famous’
    MmeVertigina and BuffyKatniss like this.

He rocks.

On fame: “I do not like people that complain about being famous, but I say to people, ‘Hey, you want to be rich and famous? Try being rich, and see if that doesn’t cover most of it for you.’ You have a bunch of dough, you can be as kind as you want, and you can be invisible. No one has to know you have a bunch of dough, and you can behave any way you want. You can be a secret kind of person.”
    Hey Zack Galifinakis, take notes!
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I love him.
    stella blue and Callalily like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I love him.
    Me too.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

oh man, i would love to hang out with him. Be is girlfriend, whatever. He's awesome.
    Callalily likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Love him. Random stuff like crashing a wedding party, giving out tickets at a ball game, other stories I've heard. And no publicist or PR team -- did not know that until reading this article. Thanks, Honey.
    Callalily likes this.

Bill is the man.
    Callalily likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I don't think I can love this man anymore already! Just a really great guy.

Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

he's great and i love that cover.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

random tidbit: one of my colleagues loved bill so much that he cut out a tiny pic of bill's headshot and put it over his own face on his cardkey. cracked me up.

He has the best sarcastic eyes.
    firebrat1229 and Honeythorn like this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    oh man, i would love to hang out with him. Be is girlfriend, whatever. He's awesome.
    I've posted it before, but there is an epic article in Vulture (this is just part of it) about what it's like to be a dinner regular with Bill Murray. It sounds even better than his movies:

A veteran party reporter is rarely struck with abject terror, but just such a moment occurred last night when we got an e-mail regarding a Tribeca Film Festival dinner for the independent movie Get Low. "You're sitting at Bill Murray's table," it read. We have met Murray — who in Get Low plays a thirties funeral director planning a “live funeral party” for an aging hermit (Robert Duvall) — so we know that he is possibly the most charming and capriciously moody person on earth. So as a public service to those of you who may someday find yourself in the exhilarating-slash-nerve-racking position of having a meal with Bill Murray, here is a guide so that you may avoid our mistakes.

• Murray, who is unfailingly polite, will remember that he has met you and where it happened. You will spend the dinner wondering if he also remembers that he seemed to not like you.

• If you are a lady, he will stand up when you take your seat and remain standing until you pull your chair in. He will do this for every female at his table. You soon will start making an effort to sit down and stand up faster.

• He will commit to memory the name of everyone at the table, making introductions each time a new person sits down.

• He will make friends with the waiters and give them nicknames. “Handsome” will now be your server.

• He will intentionally mishear offhand comments you make about the food and repeat them endlessly. You say, “seafood,” he hears “zebra.” You call the roasted carrots “exciting”; he hears “Poseidon.” As in, “Zebra! I never get to eat zebra! Want some zebra?” or “Have some Poseidon. Some Poseidon. Some Poseidon.”

• And while you are on the subject of South by Southwest, you may mention that you saw this video of Murray tending bar at a random Austin establishment. Murray will at first enjoy talking about this — about how he went to see GZA perform and brought him and RZA to the bar, where the bartenders told Murray they’d make more tips if he helped them serve drinks. He’ll tell you that he forgot that, GZA, as a major stoner, has no tolerance for alcohol, and that the rapper got so wasted after Murray gave him a shot and a half of tequila that GZA didn’t make it to his second performance at midnight. You might become emboldened to ask another direct question, something silly along the lines of, “I heard that you only served tequila, even when people asked for whiskey!” And without answering, Murray will stand up and excuse himself, never to return. The table will grow silent and you will nervously titter to your tablemate (Karen Duffy — Duff from MTV), that you’re worried you just scared Murray off by being too nosy, and she will laugh and say, “Yeah, you probably did.”

• He will take charge of the ordering and the serving of family-style dishes. If you are at Wall & Water, and Handsome brings cranberry chutney instead of the black-currant chutney Murray thinks is just “divine” with pecorino and soppressata, Murray will pull Handsome over, hold the chutneys side by side, and say: “Take a look, Handsome, what’s wrong with this?”

czb

did he ever comment about working with scarjo on lost in translation? can't remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information